Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's talk about scumbags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Dudess wrote:
    Journalism masters. Almost as useless as my arts undergrad! :)

Nooooooooooooo not the journos!

I did Multimedia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Eoin5, They generally tend not to be scumbags though. I mean they might dress like scumbags etc but they probably wouldn't mug or stab you.

Gooner, yeah, fraid so. Our class was hated! Difficult area to get a job in - only bits of freelance. You, on the other hand, did a course that WOULD lead to a job! Under-grad or post-grad?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dudess wrote:
    Journalism masters. Almost as useless as my arts undergrad! :)

No offence guys but can you take it to PM and keep on topic.

Oooh, he gets a modship and he's suddenly Mister I-Don't-Like-Things-Off-Topic!
    Only messing. Yep, you're dead right. This thread has become rather ridiculously OT.
    Suggestion noted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dudess wrote:
    Oooh, he gets a modship and he's suddenly Mister I-Don't-Like-Things-Off-Topic!

How do you know I changed my name to that???? :D

• Advertisement

:D Right. Off to the offie...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Dudess wrote:
    Eoin5, They generally tend not to be scumbags though. I mean they might dress like scumbags etc but they probably wouldn't mug or stab you.

I donno, I kinda have the gift of not insulting anyone unless I want to. Once on the way back from town on the 66 I had a great chat with a few guys and gals about the pros and cons of heroin. I wouldnt doubt for a second though that they wouldnt mug me if they met me anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Beat them and burn their cats.

Boston wrote:
    Beat them and burn their cats.

http://web.mit.edu/magrogan/Public/halp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dudess wrote:
    Oi! I went to DCU! I think you mean UCD.

DCU is well streetwise! ;)

Gooner, you win. If you've been virtually snogging him since he was Julep, well I don't stand a chance. Does he know he's being fought over, I wonder?!
    I know all.

Now I suggest you both oil up and fight it out pro wrestling style.
    regardless of the outcome, I will be the winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Terry wrote:
    I know all.

Now I suggest you both oil up and fight it out pro wrestling style.
    regardless of the outcome, I will be the winner.

LMFAO

Dirty fcuker.

Ill batter her to within and inch of her langer life ;)

Langer eh? Thanks for the compliment! Ah I know, jealousy is a terrible thing.
    ROFFL!
    eoin5 wrote:
    donno, I kinda have the gift of not insulting anyone unless I want to. Once on the way back from town on the 66 I had a great chat with a few guys and gals about the pros and cons of heroin. I wouldnt doubt for a second though that they wouldnt mug me if they met me anywhere else.
    Know what ya mean. The junkies that hang around outside where I work are actually really sound - but genuinely so. I don't think they're malicious. Of course they'd take my wallet given half the chance, but out of desperation.

Dudess wrote:
    Langer eh? Thanks for the compliment! Ah I know, jealousy is a terrible thing.

ROFFL!

Roflcopter.

http://members.cox.net/pimpbot9000/roflcopter.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭petrochemical

Do you people think scum are above the law? It's time for a vigilante to enforce "justice" on these deformed proto-human simians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Scumbags are scumbags. it is a classes and non money orientated thing.

True, take a spin around town any weekend night and you'll see stretch limo's, there's loads out Clontarf way. My theory is Kilbarrack to Barcode route.

But from experience I don't wonder what A-list celeb is partying in Dublin tonight because most of the time there are scumbags hanging out the window and shouting at passersby.

You can try to buy class but they are still scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

scumbags are tracksuit wearing,baseball cap wearing idiots.aswell as anyone who takes advantage of otehr people for their own gain such as business people,but i think OP is referring to the little gimps who enjoy joy riding,underage drinking and drug dealing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

TheGooner wrote:
    LMFAO

Dirty fcuker.

Ill batter her to within and inch of her langer life ;)
    That wasn't exactly my plan.
    It was more to do with fondling and stuff.

Anyway, back to the scumbags.
    Nasty folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

hey guys, sorry to gate crash your debate, but am finding it quite desturbing, and how how the poor are being assoicated with scum, ok fair enough, you do have a certain element or minorty, who come from social housing, do little or nothing all day, apart from slouching around chav like makeing life misreable for the most of us, but you can also get these people at the other end of the scale, loaded with money, also slouching around chav like, flashing their cash around, also makeing life misreable for the most of us

but to assoiate the poor with being scum is a bit ott, there are plenty of people in this country who find them selves in a position where the local authouty put them in social housing, a council flat or the local B&B, some of them poor, some of them maybe below the bread line, or found them selves pregnant at a young age, unable to finish school cos they cant afford to get some one to look after their kid, all these people could be trying to make a better live for them selves, but because of their situation cant, or are not being given the chance, and then you have that minority like above, who just dont want to make the effort, or know no different, or just end up with the wrong crowd

alot of people in this country like above have been left behind by the celtic tiger, and cant afford to get them selves out of their situation, and its not just a city problem but nationwide, maybe 20 years ago, when housing, and day to day life was cheeper, these people would have had a better chance,
    to make something of themselves,

it there were more support for this minorty, then you wouldn't have people turning to drus or crime to get by, if people keep hereing them selves being called scum, then they eventully think they are scum

i decided to look up bothe the word scumbag and poor in the dictionary, and they do have two totally different meanings

scum·bag
    [skuhm-bag] –noun Slang: Vulgar.
    1. a condom.
    2. a mean, despicable person.

scum·bag
    n. Slang
    A person regarded as despicable.

poor
    adjective, -er, -est, noun –adjective
    1. having little or no money, goods, or other means of support: a poor family living on welfare.
    2. Law. dependent upon charity or public support.
    3. (of a country, institution, etc.) meagerly supplied or endowed with resources or funds.
    4. characterized by or showing poverty.
    5. deficient or lacking in something specified: a region poor in mineral deposits.
    6. faulty or inferior, as in construction: poor workmanship.
    7. deficient in desirable ingredients, qualities, or the like: poor soil.
    8. excessively lean or emaciated, as cattle.
    9. of an inferior, inadequate, or unsatisfactory kind: poor health.
    10. lacking in skill, ability, or training: a poor cook.

referencehttp://dictionary.reference.com/browse/

irish-stew wrote:
    hey guys, sorry to gate crash your debate, but am finding it quite desturbing, and how how the poor are being assoicated with scum, ok fair enough, you do have a certain element or minorty, who come from social housing, do little or nothing all day, apart from slouching around chav like makeing life misreable for the most of us
    With respect, you don't appear to have read the thread properly. Only one idiot was making the claim that scumbags are only poor people. In fact he pretty much said that poor people are scumbags! But he's banned now thankfully. The rest of us were making the same point as you.
    but you can also get these people at the other end of the scale, loaded with money, also slouching around chav like, flashing their cash around, also makeing life misreable for the most of us.
    Absolutely. And that point has already been made.

Irish stew, there was only one person saying poor = scumbag and he was banned. Everyone else on the thread wanted to call him an idiot or something similar but didn't say it because personal abuse (no matter how accurate) is a banable offence.

• Advertisement

There is a correlation between crime and poverty, up to a point. Crime drops as poverty drops, but at a certain point crime rises again. This means that crime is inherent in society and cannot be removed, no matter what the income level. To put it simply, some people are just scum, and will always be scum. They are essentially bullies, who love the buzz of thieving or making people afraid. They will openly admit this to you in conversation.

Many of them have low IQs, have NO interest in changing in anyway, and would murder, rape and torture their way around if they could get away with it. The only solution is to seperate them from the rest of society. Rehabilitation doesnt work. Integration doesnt work.

And I totally associate scumbag culture with loadsamoney. Designer clothes, flash cars, expensive (if tacky) jewellery - these are all trés chavvy and inspired by 50 Cent etc. The ultimate in skanger music.

Dudess wrote:
    With respect, you don't appear to have read the thread properly. Only one idiot was making the claim that scumbags are only poor people. In fact he pretty much said that poor people are scumbags! But he's banned now thankfully. The rest of us were making the same point as you.
    Irish stew, there was only one person saying poor = scumbag and he was banned. Everyone else on the thread wanted to call him an idiot or something similar but didn't say it because personal abuse (no matter how accurate) is a banable offence.

both noted, should have looked who was actully making the comments, could have worded my opening lines better

will let yous get back to topic

irish-stew wrote:
    both noted, should have looked who was actully making the comments, could have worded my opening lines better

will let yous get back to topic

Don't worry about it.

Hey no probs! Nobody's telling you to stop contributing! Sometimes when you speed-read through a long thread, you can pick things up wrongly.
    Y'know, my brother is adamant that loads of people call people "knackers" just because they're poor. Maybe I'm wrong but I really don't think people (apart from a small minority) are as stupid as that? I wonder whether I'm being naive.

alot of people in society are given tags, its simple for people to label others, because everyone esle is doing it, people just follow the crowd

to adapt on what one of the other contrubuters said earlier, once you sit down with some one, and get to know them, you could discover that they are really not that bad, or what you thought of them, it not actully the case

I'm sure they're perfectly nice people once you get to know them, but I will never get to know them. Next time a gang of 4 of them surround you, laughing at you and challenging you to fight them, for nothing, you can see for yourself how nice they are.

This bleeding heart liberal attitude is the reason why these scum are released after 8 years for murder, or get a suspended sentence for rape.

I think the ones who are nice when you get to talk to them are the ones who initially seem to be scumbags (appearance, the way they talk etc) but actually aren't. Real scumbags tend to be hostile and aggressive.

Bottom line: scumbags are people who assault, rob, violate without a care in the world. Whether they're poor or not does not come into it. Yes, some of them may be this way because of hardship growing up, but that's no excuse. Most people who experience hardship growing up DON'T turn out that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I just got a little sick. estebancambias actually went to my secondary school. I wonder did I know him.....

GOOOOOO TERRY for banning him :) His posts have made me close down the browser an awful lot of times, rather than post something to get banned for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

If we're talking about "scumbags", like the kind that stole the OP's phone, it's painfully obvious that being poor does not equal being a scumbag, and the kids that steal phones and throw abuse at you aren't all short of cash or opportunities for education. Neither are young people with education and money innocent either. irish-stew is somewhat correct (although you ignore the central semantic issue; scumbag here doesn't refer to the dictionary definition, it's a slang word for a stereotype or two we're all well familiar with) and the majority of "poor" people aren't abuse-hurling dutch gold drinkers; when I'm low on cash I'm usually too busy trying to keep everything together to go out and wreck the gaff...

I also don't think that chavs (a term which I think can only be reduced to refer at most to a style of dress that I find really funny) are the not (exclusively) the same people who might have drug problems and steal in order to get by. you know what I mean, when you get mugged by a heroin addict, it's for a different reason than those people who act all aggro just to look tough in front of their mates. But I'm sure that all people who regularly steal and get in fights a lot probably have a lot of problems, like girlfriends/school/drugs/drink/mental illness. Money problems have a lot to do with this but the assumption the banned poster was making was obviously a fallacious generalisation.

-
    petrochemical I sympathise with you because I've had stuff like that happen and I'm just as intimidated by people like this as well. it made me feel really powerless and angry. I can't even imagine how old people feel about this. I don't know what the policy makers should do, I think that's an interesting point for discussion - realising that the majority of us are on the same page about poor -/-> scanger - I've noticed a lot of people (not just here, and myself included) on the one hand saying this is not a poverty issue, but that the solution is somehow related to sorting out poverty...:confused:

Advertisement