Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

oil change

Options
  • 22-09-2007 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

does anyone know where i can get my hands on one of those machines for sucking the oil out of the engine?
    the oil plug on my car has seized so i cant drain the oil the old fashioned way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Ur welcome ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Aaaaahhh.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Or most marine stores.
    Cus you can't get at the sump plug on an inboard boat engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

sc4rf4ce wrote:
    does anyone know where i can get my hands on one of those machines for sucking the oil out of the engine?
    the oil plug on my car has seized so i cant drain the oil the old fashioned way.

Hit it a good slap with a hammer then try it again. Worth a try:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

hope it doesn't have an alloy sump..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

..that would be a bad slap.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I had a seized drain plug on my diff. I was able to fix it by heating the metal around it on the diff with a small portable gas canister to expand the metal, then I put in some WD40, put the spanner to it, banged in the clockwise direction (tightening sometimes free's it up bizzarly), then banged it anti clockwise, and then came undone.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

cheers for the help. the oil pump off ebay worked a charm.
    only thing is now the nuts on the oil filter have seized aswell. so either take the whole unit off and source a new one, or get the hammer out.
    lousy fiats, I miss my pulsar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

sc4rf4ce wrote: »
    cheers for the help. the oil pump off ebay worked a charm.
    only thing is now the nuts on the oil filter have seized aswell. so either take the whole unit off and source a new one, or get the hammer out.
    lousy fiats, I miss my pulsar

Not sure what you mean by nuts on the oil filter, but If it's a spin on filter and you really can't budge it, and you'll be replacing the element anyway, stick a screwdriver right through it and use that as extra leverage. Messy though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Get your sump bung threads repaired. Continually sucking the oil out will leave sludge behind that will eventually gum-up the syphon mesh in the sump which will result in a drop in oil pressure. There is no substitute for properly draining the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

Should the oil filter be changed every time the oil is changed?
    Where's the best place to source an oil filter cheaply?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

filter should be changed with the oil. Motor factors or even main dealers do filters for reasonable money, go for a reputable brand if not buying from main dealer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yeah, cheap no-name filters are to be avoided like the plague. The last thing you want is for the filter to clog up and starve the engine of oil.

My mechanic will only use genuine Toyota filters (on Toyotas!). Not sure of his policy on other makes of car.

I agree with changing filter at the same time as oil, but afaik a lot of manufacturers say change the filter every second oil change. With today's long service intervals that may have changed though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Should the oil filter be changed every time the oil is changed?
    Where's the best place to source an oil filter cheaply?

Even genuine OEM filters only cost about €6 + VAT. Its certainly well worth changing every time you have an oilchange at this cost.

The life of an engine is its oil and filter change. I'd suggest changing oil and filter every 5,000 miles or so even where the service manual suggests longer. It keeps the engine cleaner and all the moving parts in prime condition. All oils deterioriate and become contaminated over time even the fully synthetic oils.

Any motor factors should be able to supply your filter but as another poster has suggested, I'd go with the original part for your car if possible.

Advertisement