Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapeworm?

Options
  • 22-09-2007 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi, wondering if anyone can advise me on this... I have a 4 and 1/2 month old puppy, think she might have a tapeworm - (am new to dog ownership so sorry if this is a stupid question) She was wormed last at 12 weeks but I didnt realise until now you were supposed to treat monthly until six months, thought it was every three months... anyway, noticed a long worm in the poop on tues morning while out walking, brought her straight home and dosed her with parazole - next morning she threw up and had diarrhoea and wouldnt eat breakfast, was pretty worried so went to get ready to bring her to the vet but by the time I got back she had perked up and scoffed all the food I put out, so thought I would wait and see how she was later - she seemed grand then, all back to normal, eating all round and playing etc... continued with the parazole for the three day course, but now this afternoon I noticed the grains of rice type thing in the poop again which Ive read is a sign of tapeworm - does it take a few days for the buggers to work their way out of the system after giving the worming meds or is this a job for the vet? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

When you're worming, it's usually every month until 6 months of age and then at every 3 months or whatever the directions are on the wormer you're using.

Are you sure you're using the wormer at the correct dose for you're dog's size and age?

It's hard to tell without seeing them, but the long worm sounds like a roundworm and the other one sounds like a tapeworm...have you checked her for fleas, because fleas can transmit tapeworm too (best way to check for fleas is examine the coat for loads of little black specks, or get some wet tissue and run it through the coat...if it appears reddish it could be a sign of fleas). Like I said, it's hard to tell but I'd say if you're using the wormer at the right dose and you spot worms in the faeces or see any weight loss, diarrhoea or a swollen belly over the next few days or before the next dose is due, then it's one for the vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 coisaille

Thanks for that Schlemm...

Think I've got the dose ok for the wormer, have a syringe thing for measuring - though just weighed her again and shes 11kg (I thought she was 10) but you give the dose per 2kg of bodyweight - so not sure how crucial that extra 1kg is

Can't see any sign of fleas either, her coat is mainly white so I'm presuming they would be easy enough to see...must get a treatment for them anyway though (another thing I was clueless about) will keep an eye on her for now - no vet till monday anyway so will see how she is then. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Check what type of wormer you are using - some only cover specific types of worms. Ask your vet for instructions according to your brand - some may not require once a month for 6 months as puppies. I've heard some people say that the liquid drop wormer that you put on food is a bit harsher on the stomach than the tablets, but ask your vet before switching brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 coisaille

Hey thanks, spoke to the vet today when I was in geting the flea stuff and he says to worm her again in about a weeks time just in case - sorted!

Advertisement