Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stiff Clutch

Options
  • 22-09-2007 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a 98 Seat Ibiza with about 55k miles.

The clutch pedal has been a bit stiff for a while and is slowly getting worse the more I use it.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

The clutch itself seems fine just seems to be the pedal. It's a pain because it takes a while to get use to driving with a normal clutch in other cars...

I think it may need a new clutch cable or possibly a pedalbox, does anyone know? And if you know what's wrong would it cost much to repair?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If it's a cable-operated clutch, then a new cable is worth trying first - when they get to a certain age, a few strands of the inner cable snap, and catch in the outer cover, making the whole thing really stiff, which causes more strands to break under the strain, until the whole thing fails...

If you are doing it yourself (or even if you are getting a garage to do it!), note how the original cable is routed around the various parts of the engine bay, as correct routing is crucial to smooth operation of the cable (and avoiding early failure in the future).

If it isn't the cable, try checking the pedal box (in fact, check it if you are canging the cable yourself) - lubricate the clutch pedal pivot with spray grease if possible (regular oil dries up in the heat of the foot heater air-flow).

If none of the above are relevant, you will have to look at the expensive option - that the clutch needs lubrication (may not be worn out, but could need lubrication on the splines or relaease arm). If it isn't more than half worn, it's worth lubricating and keeping it, otherwise replace it, as it costs so much to get out in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Keith186 wrote:

The clutch itself seems fine just seems to be the pedal.

Do you mean the clutch operates and engages fine and it's just that the pedal is stiff to operate. I ask this because I do not see how you could have tested the clutch itself for 'stifness'.

I'd take, Type 17's advice and start by replacing the cable - IIRC, Seats also had that notorious self adjusting cable that most VWs had. If replacing the cable doesn't cure it then it could possibly be that the pressure plate is on the way out which, essentially, means you'll need a new clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I notice this on my VW Polo after I've driving a lot in stop/start traffic and it's almost impossible to not ride the clutch a little and there's a LOT of gear changed but it goes away after the car's had time to cool.

Also, pushing the clutch down makes a sort of creaking noise, like a few strands in the cable have snapped as described above.

Despite this, the clutch seems to work properly, biting point isn't too high, and I don't need to push it all the way to the floor to get a smooth gear change.

How long should a cable last anyway? The clutch on my car was replaced about 18 months and 17k miles ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Assuming the Polo is late 90's or early 2000 - I'd be inclined to suspect the cable. Maybe the cable needs to be adjusted since the clutch change.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Yep, it's a 1999.

I had to get something in the steering sorted last week to pass the NCT and my mechanic said he thought it the clutch was fine but I didn't get him to investigate too closely but this thread just got me thinking about it a bit more!

Sorry for highjacking it Keith186!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Creaking noises are pivots on the pedals needing lubrication - no problem unless the creaking annoys you.

Cables last over 10 years if fitted correctly (no sharp bends in their path).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

crosstownk wrote: »
    Do you mean the clutch operates and engages fine and it's just that the pedal is stiff to operate. I ask this because I do not see how you could have tested the clutch itself for 'stifness'.

I'd take, Type 17's advice and start by replacing the cable - IIRC, Seats also had that notorious self adjusting cable that most VWs had. If replacing the cable doesn't cure it then it could possibly be that the pressure plate is on the way out which, essentially, means you'll need a new clutch.

I'll try what type 17 says it seems like good advice.
    Clutch engages fine it's just the pedal that's stiff and it sounds like the same as fasty's one.
    Seat's are made by VW so more than likely it's that notorious self adjust cable.

Thanks for the advice lads...

Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

My stiff clutch pedal (88,000 miles) was stiff pressure plates. New clutch fixed it.

Advertisement