Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to secure your internet connection?

• 22-09-2007 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi

I am with NTL and use a Belkin wireless router 54G with windows vista. When I go to connect I can see my own router and usually one or 2 other connections in the area. Mine has unsecured beside it and the other 2 are secured and ask for passwords if someone tried to access them.

I have looked up the manual for my router and it is suggesting I use a WEP key to secure my connection however when I try and do this the conncetion dies and a message "your computer settings does not allow" or something similar.

My connection recently is poor, keeps disconnecting so I think its about time I secured it. Could anyone advise in any way? Tks

Z

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

zap27 wrote:
    Hi

I am with NTL and use a Belkin wireless router 54G with windows vista. When I go to connect I can see my own router and usually one or 2 other connections in the area. Mine has unsecured beside it and the other 2 are secured and ask for passwords if someone tried to access them.

I have looked up the manual for my router and it is suggesting I use a WEP key to secure my connection however when I try and do this the conncetion dies and a message "your computer settings does not allow" or something similar.

My connection recently is poor, keeps disconnecting so I think its about time I secured it. Could anyone advise in any way? Tks

Z

WEP is as good as no security, use WPA and turn off the SSID broadcast, though bear in mind not broadcasting the SSID will only make it not obvious to other users rather than completely invisible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

you'll need to login to your routers menu, and goto the wireless options, and select wpa, and put in a password

instructions here about disconnects, and logging in to router
    http://www.belkin.com/support/product/?lid=en&pid=F5D7230-4&scid=221

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭zap27

thanks for reply will try above link

Z

Advertisement