Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Department store

• 22-09-2007 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

Which would be your favourite department store and why if you wish?

Which is your favourite department store? 68 votes

Marks & Spencer
    0% 0 votes
    Dunnes Stores
    14% 10 votes
    Shaws
    8% 6 votes
    Brown Thomas
    1% 1 vote
    Arnotts
    27% 19 votes
    Clerys
    19% 13 votes
    Anthony Ryan
    4% 3 votes
    Debenhams
    0% 0 votes
    House Of Frazer
    17% 12 votes
    Other
    5% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Pennys, decent and more importantly cheap clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I probably buy most in Arnotts or Clerys.

My favourite Department Store is Selfridges in London though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Show some love for Pennys!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Brown Thomas, even though I don't buy much in there but I just love going in. It's so clean and nice and friendly. And the bathrooms! Ahh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I also voted BTs. I only buy cosmetics in department stores because although I'll only wear designer cosmetics (I'm fussy about what goes on my skin) I'd never buy clothes or anything else in department store. I also vote Penney's in that respect! I get too sick of clothes and like new things too much to buy them anywhere expensive, I just don't see the point of designer clothes really. BTs has a lovely cosmetic hall though, with lots of companies you don't get elsewhere so that's why BT gets my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

Im thinking that on the poll from now on,
    Other will stand for Pennys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lyndy

Has to be BT's but Arnotts are a close second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

What's so brilliant about BT? Clothes are rip off central. Fair enough if you want really nice make up it's good but that's about it.

I vote Dunnes....really going upwards with their clothes lately....even if they're getting sued for it! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Arnotts kicks ass.
    I think they have new buyers in or something.
    The range of clothes - lots of Scandanavian brands - S'Nob, St Martins...
    The SHOES are to die for - incl Lulu Guiness
    and the handbags/scarves - FABULOUS Pucci scarves - I drooled.

The kitchen section is one of the best around. The luggage section is also the best in town and they will order you in items (even in the sale). The guys in the sports section actually know what they are talking about.
    They have a Ligne Roset dept (I WANT A POP CHAIR!)... the list goes on.

It is totally underestimated and overlooked. It is a class establishment IMO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

MayMay wrote:

I vote Dunnes....really going upwards with their clothes lately....even if they're getting sued for it! :p

Some sort of link??? I work there! Though I have noticed copies of Dorothy Perkins/Warehouse..and some designer dress was copied by Savida.

I voted Dunnes anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

In my experience lots of people say they like BTs but it's mostly because it's some kind of status thing.

The staff there are some of the most unhelpful in the country, make that any country, I believe in training they're taught who to fawn over and who to ignore. I mean, you're working in a shop! Don't get any ideas above your station.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I like Debenhams because it has loads of stuff that's nicely middle-of-the-road. Nothing overly expensive, but nothing very cheap and crap either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

up there for penneys guys!! its getting a lot more respect since primark opened across the water, all of the girlie magazines rate it in the fashion pages (ive been in hosp for a week and read the whole news stand so i consider myself an expert!!!!) one thing about penneys that is raising a little concern is the rumors that the people who make these ridicusly (sp) cheap clothes are on really bad wages and working conditions, penneys claim to be fair trade an all that but makes ya wonder.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

up there for penneys guys!! its getting a lot more respect since primark opened across the water, all of the girlie magazines rate it in the fashion pages (ive been in hosp for a week and read the whole news stand so i consider myself an expert!!!!) one thing about penneys that is raising a little concern is the rumors that the people who make these ridicusly (sp) cheap clothes are on really bad wages and working conditions, penneys claim to be fair trade an all that but makes ya wonder.....

Well the clothes aren't that cheap for no reason... and I think deep down every Penney's customer (including me ;) ) knows that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 -avey-

Faith wrote:
    I like Debenhams because it has loads of stuff that's nicely middle-of-the-road. Nothing overly expensive, but nothing very cheap and crap either.

snap! like havin a good nosy round der, got some gorge jewellery in der 4 my 21st ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I do like BT's, obviously, but I votoed M&S as it's the store I actually buy most stuff from. It's good for underwear, classics and basics, food, linens, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

M&S have good quality clothes especially their tshirts (great inside a suit for work) which dont lose shape when washed. they have a nice mix of casual and formal and their per ua stuff is noce also. Got a nice flowered skirt there in the sale a good bit ago. I also have a staff discount !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Used to be Roches, now Penneys or H&M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peterl

yep. roches . a really sad loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

ok OT but isn't imitating designer style stuff and making it available at cheap prices what penneys and dunnes are all about?
    i mean the clothes are pretty similar, but if dunnes are gonna make a popular branded item available for a fraction of the cost i think they should be allowed.
    what the **** is gonna happen to fashion if stuff isn't allowed to similar? half the shops in dublin would be closed down, they all sell the same tripe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

M&S all the way! Especially Limited Collection/Autograph. They have cashmere sweaters, cool leather handbags (some of which are much nicer than the bags across the street in BTs), pretty dresses, proper wool trousers for work, AND they have three leg lengths so that I can actually buy trousers whic fir me in the waist and length. I heart M&S.
    olaola wrote: »
    Arnotts kicks ass.
    I think they have new buyers in or something.
    The range of clothes - lots of Scandanavian brands - S'Nob, St Martins...
    The SHOES are to die for - incl Lulu Guiness
    and the handbags/scarves - FABULOUS Pucci scarves - I drooled.

I didn't know Arnotts were now selling Lulu shoes. This is escellent news!
    /me makes note to visit Arnotts in the very near future
    Well the clothes aren't that cheap for no reason... and I think deep down every Penney's customer (including me ;) ) knows that...

So, so true sadly.

peterl wrote: »
    yep. roches . a really sad loss.

Debenhams does not have the same charm about it really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

I said Debenhams but only the one on Henry Street because it has a lot of other departments, La Senza, Warehouse, Faith etc. I also like how Debenhams do a "Fuller Bust" section in their lingerie dept. so many shops underestimate the amount of people who have small figures but large cup sizes and its a totally untapped marked (and quite annoying for people like me!). Second to them would be House of Fraser but probably second only because I work there and dont want to spend my free time there too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I hate hate hate Debenhams in Cork. All crushed in together. I actually thought it was the worst in Ireland until I moved to Galway. Debenhams there is actually ridiculous. It's so messy even though they have very little stock and the woman in the Lingerie section didn't know what a Low Back Converter was!!

I voted M&S. Love the Lingerie, gorgeous shoes sometimes, Limited Collection is fab and not too expensive, and the bags are gorgeous. They also have huge fluffy bath towels for 7.50, which is great for a student like me. I wouldn't be a huge fan of the food (probably because I worked in Foods in Cork and it was torture) but plenty of people would beat someone up for it. (Literally: Christmas 2006-grabbing things from other peoples trolleys, hitting each other, rolling under the shutters as they opened, security guards had to be called in from other shops to man the aisles....)

Having said that, don't even get me started on M&S in Galway. Who chose that location? Did they not realise that shops are meant to sell stuff? The place is tiny so you have to order things in and it takes 5 days!! Yes, 5 days. And they don't get a delivery on Thursday.

Ok rant over.

In short, I Heart M&S!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lyndy

I see Arnotts are opening an hour later in the evening's

lyndy wrote: »
    I see Arnotts are opening an hour later in the evening's

Brown Thomas have changed their opening hours this week also by an extra hour.

Advertisement