Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Having problems with new Philips plasma TV and old sky box

• 22-09-2007 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all,

Any help on this would be greatly apreciated before i pull all my hair out.

I have just bought a new Philips 42" plasma TV (Black one, HD ready)

When i am watching anything through the sky box the screen flickers every 5-10 seconds.

This happens on every channel. Even in the menu.
    This does not happen with the normal TV.
    Reception in perfect also (in between the flickering)

The TV is fine if i am watching a DVD through it.

The box is about 6 maybe more years old.
    Its a Pace box.

Please can anyone help as this is driving me crazy!!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How is connected to the TV? Coax, scart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dmadman

scart.

Ive tried 3 different leads.

I seem to have fixed it.

While connected through Coax the tv does not flicker and quality seems to be better also.

Have no idea why this has worked as it doesn't make sence but hey no more flickers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 brian guilfoyl

probably dodgy scart leads, need to make sure high speed cable, and not ness gold tipped or crap like that.
    any ome know uk web site for good cheap lcd or plasma tv's

another fix for this situation.

on the back of the sky box theres 2 scart outputs.
    One for tv and one for aux.

The TV one was the one causing the flicker.

Plug my TV into the aux one and it works fine.

Anyway thanks for the help lads.... good to see you all know your stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Sorry to say this, but if the RF coax looks better than the pure video signal over SCART then there's something seriously messed up with your setup.

If the 2nd SCART (on the Sky box) works flicker-free then it could be related to RGB - plug the scart cable back into the TV SCART on the sky box - check that you have flicker - now go into the Sky services menu - picture settings and check what picture type you have - it should switch between RGB and PAL - if it's currently set to RGB - change it to PAL and vice versa.

Do you see flicker on both RGB and PAL settings?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

pH has suggested what I was thinking.

If the flicker issue is when SKybox is using RGB and it goes away when in PAL mode, it would suggest a crap Scart lead, or else you've plugged your Scart lead into a Scart socket in the TV that doesn't support RGB. On some TV's only AV1/Scart1 supports RGB.

Advertisement