Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clays make excellent target practice

• 22-09-2007 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Was out shooting Clay Pigeons today with real steal.
    I was curious to know what kind of effect an AEG would have
    on a Clay that would normally get hit with lead pellets.

I initially thought that a plastic BB would bounce off it without
    any damage to the clay but WOW was I wrong.

So when I arrived home I had a bright orange clay disc and I stuck
    it at the back of my garden. I thought that since it was bright orange
    it would be good to fire at. I lashed out my M14 and thought that it
    would probably take a LOT of hits to break the clay. Low and behold my
    first single shot with a plastic .20g broke the clay into several pieces!!!!

I was amazed. I have a empty 2L plastic coke bottle and the BB wont even
    penetrate and yet is makes utter sh1te of a nice thick clay.
    Switching to full auto was great fun. I have "powdered" the clay.

Makes me want to buy a box of clays just to destroy with my AEG's

~B

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

HAHA. Good to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

sweet, that would be great for target practice (and the effect)

is there somewhere i could go to buy clays (aside from a shooting range) and are they expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

kdouglas wrote:
    sweet, that would be great for target practice (and the effect)

is there somewhere i could go to buy clays (aside from a shooting range) and are they expensive?
    About €15 for 150 clays
    I assume any firearm dealer will be happy to sell them to you.

nice, ill look into that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Sweet. Be impossible to hit one in the air though. I propose a challange! First one to post a video of them shooting a clay outa the air wins all the free air they want, FOR A YEAR! :cool:

• Advertisement

that all depends on how high you throw it, i could hit one no problem if it was lower than 10 feet high, but thrown like the way a clay normally is, you'd have a hard time

Oh, and on a side note, balloons make great targets, just let them go at head height and let the wind catch them a little bit, then shoot before they get out of range, makes a nice satisfying pop when they burst, reminds me of playing point blank on the playstation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

i shot a clay pigeon with my marker, do i get air? no video though and it didn't shatter :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

It's great craic throwing empty beer bottles up in the air and shooting at them with a pistol, you know you've hit them because of the "chink".

I throw them about 20ft away from myself and can hit them about 1 in 3 shots. Pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

whupass wrote:
    i shot a clay pigeon with my marker, do i get air? no video though and it didn't shatter :(

Nah sorry whupass, thats just not good enough. How am i suposed to know you actually ht it.....wait what am i saying. This is the internet! No body lies here! hehe :D

Yeah i was out the back shooting pringles boxes awhile ago. Then it started raining. *sniff* i got wet

hope your doing that in a safe closed-off area with everyone wearing eye protection and cleaning up after yourself!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭penguin-o7

you could also use water ballons there pretty good cause dere real small so they make good target practise.

especcially wen tied above a door dat some one is walkin out of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

dont some swat teams use helium baloons tied down with different colours in the wind and the idea is you have to hit only one colour as they bounce around...may as well copy the masters at it...although you may get a similar effect tieing them off in a windy part of your garden....would be cheaper as well..

edit: jeasus desperate spelling...sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The think about clays that make em break is that they are rigid. The Bottles absorb the hits.

Can you buy helium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

bfsl might have clay pigeons, after all they are a shooting supplies store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

As derek from bsfl suggested, just buy yourself a big box of aldi biscuits. Great for target practice and you can eat them afterwards as well :).

Advertisement