Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Need Help With My Modem, Please Help

Options
  • 22-09-2007 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

i bought a ps3 yesterday, and i cant go online with it, so i need to know how to hack into my modem, plus if any of ye know how to help me fix my ps3 problem please feel free to help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Please supply the make and model of your modem as well as what you mean by "hack" into it. I'm guessing you want to access the settings on your modem so as to allow the ps3 to connect to your network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Going on the abundance of information supplied, I would suggest connecting the modem to the PS3 by an ethernet cable. No hacking required. Of course, if the modem is USB only then you may be out of luck. Maybe follow the instructions for connecting the modem to a PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

message to thelastangryman,

all i know is that its an NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, basically i rang ps3 careline, and they said i have to match the settings thats on my pc to my ps3, so if you can do anything to help, i would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭corkie

Not been smart or anything like that, but your still not providing enough info for people to assist you.

How is your PC connected to the internet? Broadband? Have you a rooter?

A google search ps3 networking pc might provide the answers your looking for

well i have broadband, and i have a modem, which i said in the main title, i just need to know how to access the settings in my modem, to get them right with my ps3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Alright, lets start from the bottom. Who provides your broadband? Are you using the modem that they supplied?

tony1212 wrote:
    well i have broadband, and i have a modem, which i said in the main title, i just need to know how to access the settings in my modem, to get them right with my ps3
    That information alone is pretty useless. Who provides the broadband (is it wireless, DSL over the phone, cable from Chorus/NTL, etc) and what make is the modem (Netgear, Zyxel) and the model of the modem would also be useful. Without this, there is no way to tell how to access your particular modem.

its wireless broadband, and the modem was provided by my broadband provider, who is wts broadband, there are based in limerick, there is no model name on the modem, its just a small black box with feed in and feed out.

OK, what you have is not a modem, it's probably a bridge and possibly a router. If it has no routing capability, they you won't be able to share the connection between PC and PS3 without adding a router. It all depends on what this box is as to whether you can share the internet connection. Did WTS provide any information on accessing this or how to configure it? If they didn't then they probably don't want you going near it, or there may not be anything you can do with it anyway so access will be pointless.

I'm not terribly familiar with wireless devices so someone else may be able to give more advice here. First off, on the PC, got to Start -> Run and enter cmd and then in the command prompt enter ipconfig and check the output. There should be a line with something like
    "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:" on it followed by your IP address. If this is 192.168.X.X (a local network address) then the device may be a router, though not always, it depends on how they set up the wireless network. If the address is an public internet address then it is definitely not a router. You can check your public address by entering www.whatismyip.com in a browser and it'll tell you. Check if this is the same number reported by ipconfig.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

When you get an ethernet Router (called a cable router in Argos), its "WAN" connection goes to the modem.
    In its settings put the PS3 in the DMZ. Then no ports need to be forwarded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

In simple terms a modem usually provides a basic connection to the net for one computer.

To share a connection as you will need to do in this case between your computer and the xbox you will need a router - in simple terms again, a router is necessary to ensure the flow of information goes from the correct machine to the internet and vice versa.

Some modems can have a routing function built in (these usually are recognisable in that they provide more connections round the back for the computers to be attached to).

It looks as if you will need to buy a router to add to your set up. However before doing anything involving spending money your best bet would be to contact your isp and ask them about the modem they provide and what is involved in adding a router to it and if they recommend any specific model.

Then if you need any further advice you can post back here.

Advertisement