Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question Of Fitness

Options
  • 22-09-2007 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all,

So at the moment I realise I need to loose a few pounds and will be joining the gym next week. My question is this, as its been a while since I've done any kind of physical training my muscles will ache for a while until I get some kind of fitness back, when it comes to going to the range with sore muscles this is going to effect my accuracy so has anyone any suggestions on what exercises to stay away from/use?
    P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I try to stay away from things like bench presses, lat pulls, free weights - anything that will require you to hold a weight in your hands (that way you don't overstress your forearm muscles which control the fingers and thus your trigger control). I've found swimming very good for general cardio and breath control.
    I think the best advice, however, may be to ask the trainers they have in most gyms today - that way, if nothing else, you'll have someone there monitoring your progress and you can't slack off so easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I am in the same boat as you Patrick, so for the couple of months now i've been jogging 4 miles 4 time a week with is starting to show good results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

For general fitness, cycling is one of the best with little or no impact (along with swimming). In a gym, cross trainers and cycling machines would be the weapons of choice.

You can do wrist curls with a light (1-2Kg) weight for pistol shooting, but you must balance and do them with both arms.

For trigger control, piano playing type exercises are very good, try and move each finger individually without moving the others. Typing on a keyboard is almost as good but doesn't require as much force.

Advertisement