Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Theory Test and provisional question

Options
  • 22-09-2007 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

This is somewhat complicated.

I am 16 now, therefore I am going to sit the theory test to obtain license for moped/work vehicle. Hopefully I get provisional.

This time next year I will be 17, and will wish to obtain car privilage.

Will I

A- Have to re-do theory test
    B- Have to get a new provisional license? If so will it be considered my "second" provisional. If not, will the car "privalege" be added to my existing license- [Already a year in existance]

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

If you do the ABMW theory test that will cover the car as well so you wouldn't have to resit the theory test.

When you want to get the car (B) on your licence, you submit it to the motor tax office and they'll give you a free replacement with both categories on it. This will still be considered your first provisional and go to the same end date as the original.

The only issue with this is whether a full year has actually passed. As you can see, what I have written is that your first provisonal for the B would only last a year. Some may want as long as possible before having to apply for the test so it's a little unfair to have one of the provisionals lasting less than a year.

So.. if you've had the moped licence for less than a year, the B will be added on for the remainder of the licence which is more than a year, and then it will be a second provisional for both when you get a new one.
    If you've had the moped licence for more than a year, the B is added on for the remainder but because the remainder is less than a year, they don't count it as taking up your first provisional i.e. when you get a second provisional, the B category is still counted as a first (because you only had it for a few months before) but it will be a second for the moped. So overall you're actually getting 2 years and a few months as your B first provisional.

It's all about whether a full year has actually passed or not.

I know what I just said is probably a bit confusing because I've done it fairly quickly. I think the first two bits answer your questions though.

Advertisement