Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorbys

Options
  • 23-09-2007 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Just incase you didnt know Gorbys Niteclub is re opening this Friday at 11pm!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Gorbys?! That was way before my time. Isn't it Mangans now? Or are they different places?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,692 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Gorby's became coco's which became The Works (where freakscene currently resides). are they just rechanging the name now or what? I dont expect much of a change anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Will it be as crap as the Bodega?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was only in there once just before it closed and only been in Coco's/The Works/Quad a few times and it was the same layout. Can we presume that they'll be letting 16 year old in again so and play ****e music?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Wow, blast from the past there. Gorby's was always fun. Then again this was in 1996 for me. I was in Coco's a few times before I left Cork and it was hideous. The one thing that Henry's and Gorby's had in common was grubbiness. Modern nightclubs just don't have that same veneer of filth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

or 99p shots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Another oldie here! I thought this would be a thread of reminiscing. How could the truly create the late 90s vibe, though? Kids just ain't the same anymore!

I was only there for its latter days. Was always a good laugh though, always a decent chance of a bit of pearl jam without needing to ask for it.

Another fairly dirty place i really miss is the pub the Raging Bull. Great cocktails, shots, pitchers etc for good prices and bad staff that were always up for a laugh and a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I used to hit Gorby's 3 nights a week around 1996, we'd kick off in Mollies, or the Crazy Horse, or even Rosies, and then stagger into Gorby's. The Comedy Club was a night refresh around 97 on a Wed and Sun night, used to pint with Des Bishop, he was working in River Island at the time, and got his first gig in Gorbys, which was actually good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

razorblunt wrote:
    I Can we presume that they'll be letting 16 year old in again so and play ****e music?
    Its over 23's apparently but i would expect the same level of music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Its sacrilege to be going backwards to the name Gorbys for those of us with memories (however fuzzy, through the drunken mists at the time) and also for using the name of 80s Cork niteclub classic CoCos, they should never have been allowed to besmirch that name, Dominic O Keefe would spin in his grave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Ah good ol Gorby's....first time out in town at 16, Gorby's and getting hammered on three Strawberry Woody alcopops....good times :) I don't think they should have the same name again though, should have left Gorby's as a memory, won't be the same again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

ahh, Strawberry Woodies, I remember them! I remember when Smirnoff Ice cam out first too, and they were 1pound 50 (I don't have the pound sign on this silly norwegian keyboard)
    I know where I'll be going when I get home for the weekend in October :) I had a gold card, I could even get a friend in for free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

is gorbys where the qube is now? next to the brog?

blocparty wrote:
    is gorbys where the qube is now? next to the brog?
    Kind of but no, its above them both. Would be the third floor of that building.
    Its been called the Works for the past few years. It hasn't closed or anything (or if it has, then only for a week or 2), I assume its just a name change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Kind of but no, its above them both. Would be the third floor of that building.
    Its been called the Works for the past few years. It hasn't closed or anything (or if it has, then only for a week or 2), I assume its just a name change.

Freakscene is still on up there yeah?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

aye, its not moving at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

ahh, Strawberry Woodies, I remember them! I remember when Smirnoff Ice cam out first too, and they were 1pound 50 (I don't have the pound sign on this silly norwegian keyboard)

Dizzy, you just triggered a great memory for me. When I started in UCC, the Herald had coupons in it for free Woodies. I went around campus collecting Heralds left right and centre. Between that and Nancy's Beat the Clock, I had free/cheap drink for about a week. Couldn't do that these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

ned78 wrote:
    I used to hit Gorby's 3 nights a week around 1996, we'd kick off in Mollies, or the Crazy Horse, or even Rosies, and then stagger into Gorby's.

Same here, that brings back memories. After Gorby's we'd stagger all the way back to Wilton singing like loons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

dudara wrote:
    Nancy's Beat the Clock

Jaysus. Beat the clock was just the best thing ever. It was quite possibly the only way Nancy's could convince lazy students to walk up Barrack's Street!

• Advertisement

hey man, you walk DOWN barracka, from college to nancy and then town. bring back old nancy's, it's in bits now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tragedyman1978

Cool !!! I lived in Gorbys when I was in college !!! Loved it. £1 a pint !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Julie K Cherub

agamemnon wrote:
    Same here, that brings back memories. After Gorby's we'd stagger all the way back to Wilton singing like loons.

GORBYS was brill.. Loved it.. :p:p:p:p

Cool !!! I lived in Gorbys when I was in college !!! Loved it. £1 a pint !!!
    your full of bull tragedyman...:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tragedyman1978

Wha'ever girlfriend. Like you were ever even IN Gorbys. What are you ? Four years old ?

Wha'ever girlfriend. Like you were ever even IN Gorbys. What are you ? Four years old ?

Look i am really sorry tragedyman.. Didnt mean to offend you at all. I'm really a nice person.. Will you be my friend?????? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE:o :o:o:o:o

Was in gorby's last night. felt very old, but it was TWO EURO for both Fosters and Vodka! Was like being on holidays or something. Awesome. Awesome to the Max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Smileylynz

Cant wait to go! happy memories there bout 8 yrs ago, T'was the first club I got into go. I can rememer a really tall young bouncer and an old guy! Remember getting in with my fake usit card!! happy Days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Don't think you guys realised but Nancy's had beat the clock this week. Mass Crawford exodus on Thursday, it was depraved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i was in there last night for gorby's original..

it was bloody awful

arrived at 12, the place was already overfull, the bar is now a smoking room (wtf like), the new bar is in the worst location possible, the music was too loud (maybe i'm getting old, but bloody hell the music was so loud all it was was a load of white noise), the dj was shouting stupid things like "remember the frank and walters" over the intro to after all (remember them? they only released a new album less than 12 months ago).. the queue at the bar was about 5 or 6 deep, so i imagine it would take about 20 minutes to get a drink...

gorby's original? pffffft

Advertisement