Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MPG comparison website?

Options
  • 23-09-2007 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Do any of you good people know of a website that offers a comparison chart of MPG or L/100 .
    My background is ..... I am in a 2yr old petrol car. A change in job spec means i can now do anything from 100 km to 800km per week ( standard revenue milage expense rate). I am considering changing to diesel and want to do a little maths exercise on the benifits of changing - cost of trade in v cost of new car. Cost of fuel over year v potential saving by going diesel.

I know fuel econemy is influenced by a huge no of factors including for the most part the person behind the wheel but some sort of a relative comparison between marques/models would be appreciated

regards

bl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just want to say that I hope mpg goes forever.
    We buy fuel by the litre and our odemeters measure kilometres so mpg should be consigned to history.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

check out www.parkers.co.uk - you can't choose two cars to compare, but it gives MPG figures for a huge range of cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The latest AA hand book has a conversion table in the back, dont see it on their website though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

micmclo wrote:
    Just want to say that I hope mpg goes forever.
    We buy fuel by the litre and our odemeters measure kilometres so mpg should be consigned to history.

Why the sudden rush? Most cars on the roads still use miles, and there are plenty of people who import cars from the UK; these cars are all caibrated in miles too. Most cars, even those in kilometres can switch over the trip computer from miles to km and vice versa, so the computer can give average fuel readouts in mpg, like this Avensis.

Some metric cars,usually those from the German makes, like this 3 series also have the ability to measure the car's mileage in miles too!
    Mpg isn't going to die for another while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think the OP is looking for stats on particular cars, not how to convert from one reading to the other.

65bl wrote:
    Do any of you good people know of a website that offers a comparison chart of MPG or L/100 .
    My background is ..... I am in a 2yr old petrol car. A change in job spec means i can now do anything from 100 km to 800km per week ( standard revenue milage expense rate). I am considering changing to diesel and want to do a little maths exercise on the benifits of changing - cost of trade in v cost of new car. Cost of fuel over year v potential saving by going diesel.

Well lets say for the sake of argument you do 500 km a week X 50 weeks then you cover 25,000 km a year, which is about 16,000 miles a year. Then lets say that you average 30 mpg in a petrol, and 40 mpg in an equivalent diesel. And Petrol costs €1.15, and Diesel costs €1.05.

Then Petrol costs about €2,800(16 k miles/30 mpg X 4.54(to convert to litres)X 1.15) for fuel. Diesel will cost roughly €1,900 a year. But the likelihood is that a diesel will cost about €100-200 a year more to tax. So for the sake of argument we'll say €150. They are also very slightly more expensive to service, so lets say about €30 more on servicing p.a. AFAIK diesels are no more expensive than their petrol counterparts to Insure.

So basically the diesel works out costing €720(900-150-30) less to run p.a. than its Petrol equivalent.

If you keep a new diesel for 3 years based on these figures, then it will almost have paid for itself already.(Most diesels are about €2,500 more than their petrol copunterpart). The diesel will have cost a mere €340 more to run.{2500-(720X3)}

If you change the car after 3 years, a diesel will typically fetch around €1k more than a petrol. So the answer to the question is most definately yes, it is cheaper to have a paraffin stove.

And even if the oil-burner turns out to be a bit dearer, you will have enjoyed an engine with far more real world power than a petrol(not more actual power, but more useable power), an engine that can handle things like overtaking far better than its petrol equivalent, so you will be driving a much faster car too(again its not actually faster, just in everyday applications):D .

And that is today. With the upcoming changes to VRT, there is a very strong possibility that diesels will be no more expensive or even less expensive to buy in the first place, so the financial case for buying a paraffin stove will soon be getting a huge boost, even for people who do very little driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

E92 wrote:
    If you change the car after 3 years, a diesel will typically fetch around €1k more than a petrol. So the answer to the question is most definately yes, it is cheaper to have a paraffin stove.

The price difference is generally far more dramatic than that.

Also there is more than a 10mpg difference between a petrol and a diesel. E.g. a friend of mine struggles to better 35mpg in a 1.4 Astra while I get about 55mpg in a 1.8 Focus TDCI.

maidhc wrote:
    The price difference is generally far more dramatic than that.
    Also there is more than a 10mpg difference between a petrol and a diesel. E.g. a friend of mine struggles to better 35mpg in a 1.4 Astra while I get about 55mpg in a 1.8 Focus TDCI.

Oh well fair enough. I did use the words "lets say" and "for arguments sake" though, because I made a lot of assumptions :) .

Well if there is even more of a difference price wise than I said, that makes it all the more reason to buy a paraffin stove.

And anyway, as I mentioned, we have an up and coming VRT rejig, so the reasons to buy cars that use the black pump will be even stronger next year.

That might negatively affect the resale value of diesels in time to come, however, then again it might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭65bl

eoin_s "check out www.parkers.co.uk - you can't choose two cars to compare, but it gives MPG figures for a huge range of cars. "

Many thanks - thats exactly what i'm looking for

"So basically the diesel works out costing €720(900-150-30) less to run p.a. than its Petrol equivalent.

If you keep a new diesel for 3 years based on these figures, then it will almost have paid for itself already.(Most diesels are about €2,500 more than their petrol copunterpart). The diesel will have cost a mere €340 more to run.{2500-(720X3)}"

Thats interesting but i also need to factor in the depreciation on my existing car. Had things remained as they were, i would not have considered a change for at least 5yrs +

Never the less i now have much to think about. Many thanks to you all

• Advertisement
Advertisement