Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a gadget.... might not exist!

Options
  • 23-09-2007 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

right, im after buying a very expensive laptop and ive got some very important information on it.

what i want, is, if it exists, is a small ( small enough for me to put inside my laptop ) tracking device.

that would be picked up by a satnav, or another computer or something like that, that could be used to track the location.

ive looked into the software version, but honestly if a laptop is stolen, and makes its way into the hands of someone who has a brain, they would just format the computer.

ive already got passwords for windows and for the bios.
    so they cant even access anything at all without the password, but then it probably wouldnt take a genius to remove the motherboard battery and wipe all that information.

so any ideas? or does nothing like this exist?
    ( if it doesnt exist, then i copyright it :D )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Something along the lines of these?

http://www.cqcomms.com/securitymisc.htm

If not I'd suggest going in to talk to the guys in CQ Communications on the quays just opposite the Millennium Foot bridge at Temple Bar. They might be able to help you out some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Does the laptop have a TPM (Trusted computing module) chip in it? If so, and you are using Vista, enable bitlocker. This encrypts the drive and protects the information. It's unrecoverable without the key. You can store a copy of the key on a flash drive. You can also configure the device to only boot if the media containing the key is available.

This won't track the package for you, but at least you can be assured that the data is not obtainable.

This is all built into Vista so it's available out of the box, so to speak. Soundman's link is very impressive, but the price matches.

cheerio
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Soundman wrote:
    Something along the lines of these?

http://www.cqcomms.com/securitymisc.htm

If not I'd suggest going in to talk to the guys in CQ Communications on the quays just opposite the Millennium Foot bridge at Temple Bar. They might be able to help you out some.

absolutly perfect!! thats exactly what i want! thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

absolutly perfect!! thats exactly what i want! thanks :)

:) could you explain how you intend getting this inside your laptop ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

sunny2004,
    this is the one that im looking at

Long Range Tracking Kit

€1595.00

A revolutionary tracking system as sold for thousands by other companies.

The complete kit is composed of a small transmitter (just 80 gramms with its battery) and a receiver. The receiver, with a set of LEDs will pinpoint the direction of the transmitter while also emitting a higher pitch. If the transmitter is in motion the signal will be transmitted each second. Otherwise the system will receive a signal each 10 seconds

ive a pretty large laptop, 17" and im sure i can squeeze it in.
    not sure if im going to get it yet, but its worth the look methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

sunny2004,
    this is the one that im looking at

Long Range Tracking Kit

€1595.00

A revolutionary tracking system as sold for thousands by other companies.

ive a pretty large laptop, 17" and im sure i can squeeze it in.
    not sure if im going to get it yet, but its worth the look methinks.

Great idea :) I still would think you will have problems getting it inside even a 17 ? inch laptop... and then there is the question of distance.. I am assuming you are using this in the event of the item getting stolen ? :) now as there is few laptops that top the price quoted I would suggest you forget this route, unless you are going to drive down the M50 following a signal that leads you into a block of flats somewhere ;):confused: and that is based on you staying within range of the transmitter :confused:

would it not make more sense to simple encrypt your files and have a backup.. ? Laptop gets stolen and you simply buy another one.. (insurance + money saved from the tracker)

As for the size, I have one of those 17in laptops (dell) and I have been inside it a number of times:) lets just say I hope your model is not the same :)

Advertisement