Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours in the city!

Options
  • 23-09-2007 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

People moan about how things have changed in cosmopolitan shiny new Dublin and the lack of neighbourliness. But I dunno, I still think there are some good decent neighbours in the city... anyone got any examples to cheer up the litle blue Dub heart of mine?

On my road we have an old guy in his 80's who is up at 6 every monday mornin to make sure everyones wheelie bins are ready to collect.. and he pops then back into the gardens when emptied. He Plants flowers in peoples gardens and sweeps the road and footpaths too. Has a hello for everyone and never moans about anything. He doesn't look for a thank you or reward, he says.. its all part of living on the road.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

That man is a legend and deserves some sort of award from the President

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

micmclo wrote:

Agreed. I don't really have any stories, i used to but not anymore which kinda goes with the lack of neighbourliness in your original post, sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

micmclo wrote:

Ditto, is there some kind of award you can nominate him for? He sounds like he deserves it.

Some County Councils operate 'community awards'. Have a looksee on your Council website, or if you can't find it throw 'site:x.ie community award' (with "x" being replaced with your council website) into google, and it might pop up. I know South Dublin Co Co do it at any rate.

Edit: Dublin City Council have this: http://www.dublincity.ie/Images/app%20form_tcm35-51360.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

micmclo wrote:

Aye yes I agree, am looking into it already. Either way I have a little christmas prezzie sorted for him.

Was more curious about other peoples stories as its not often you hear about good neighbours these day.. you only hear bad news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Three posters qouted me and agreed with me. Yay for me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

micmclo wrote:
    Three posters qouted me and agreed with me. Yay for me:)

Indeed. You should be nominated for a boards community award :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I'm out in the suburbs, so I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for. But our neighbour also brings in our bin for us. I do theirs too if it's still out, but usually they're up before us.
    It's probably a bit different though, because both of our families have lived next door to each other here for 26 years and grown up together.
    A bit of a tradition on New Year's Eve was for the ma's on our bit of the street to go out and wave to each other and talk a bit, but that seems to have stopped since one of the families moved a few years ago.
    There also used to be street parties when I was a kid, but they're long gone (which again goes against what you're saying)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

Yeah , I miss all that too, I grew up in the suburbs. not often u hear any nice neighbourly stories these days.

Advertisement