Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

etherenet switch problems

Options
  • 23-09-2007 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

Ok, I need some help please.

I bought an etherenet switch today that has 4 ports and is also wireless (Azurewave AW-GR520 model) and along with that I bought a Sitecom Wireless Network USB adaptor 54G Turbo to enable my desktop to be wireless.

I set everything up, plugged everything in the way its supposed to be and nothing happened. The USB adaptor could get a signal from the wireless switch/router but there was no internet connection coming from it? I turned everything off and turned it back on and hey presto it worked great...for a while.

It suddenly couldn't connect to the internet. I've connected directly thru LAN from my modem without using the etherenet switch and it works perfectly (as it right now as I type away).

The minute I plug my etherenet cable into the switch and try to connect either wirelessly or from one of the LAN ports from the ethernet switch it can't connect to the internet. Like I said the USB network adaptor is picking up the wireless router/switch perfectly as its right beside the PC. My modem is saying its got power, DSL, Internet & ethernet so thats working fine. My switch is saying it is powered on, ready, receiving internet, broadcasting WAN and LAN when its plugged in yet my PC (or my laptop) can't connect to the internet.

Am i doing something ridiculously stupid or missing out on something. What confuses me is the fact it worked fine, then stopped for no reason?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Pete.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I assume the switch assignes an internal ip which is the gateway assigned to the card?

if you do an ipconfig/all on the desktop whats the gateway ip address?

can you ping your isp's dns servers by ip ?

how is the external modem connected? is it in bridge mode etc?

need a lot more info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 essbebe

@pete4130
    Access to router is it 192.168.0.1 ? ID ? Password ??
    can you kindly give the ID and password to access the router.
    A friend has the same router but unable to program it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 essbebe

@pete4130
    No ID and password required. The dealer has sold a previously used router<br> probably returned by somebody because of some problem <br>.
    So could not use it.Exchanged it for a new one and working perfectly<br>
    Thanks .

Advertisement