Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I locked myself out usin MAC filtering?

• 23-09-2007 1:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

ok, um i made a mistake while editing settings there for MAC filtering on my wireless router. Its a 'sweex' router connecting to Magnet networks (if this helps). Anyways felt some people were using my line even though security enabled (i think WPA maybe WEP). So i set it so what i assumed would just allow my MAC address through but blocked it so now i cant access the settings....Any ideas???
    I still have my old wired b/b thank god lol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Before its pointed out. Yes I am a total idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If it makes you feel any better, I did this myself when I was first installing a wireless network. :eek:

Hitting the reset button on the router should work for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I'll give it a go in the morn and post my results. Thanks.
    All i was trying to do was enforce some more security. I dont want people robbing my connection!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It'll put everything back to the default factory setting. Which includes turning Mac address filtering off.

I know what you mean. I was paranoid about my own network and thought it would be a good idea.

Felt like a right idiot when I couldn't connect. Doh! One of those "How the F*** did I do that?" moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

No need to factory reset your router. Just connect to it through your wired connection and remove the mac address.

What you most probably did, was to add the MAC of your WIRED NETWORK CARD. You have to add the MAC of your WIRELESS Network Card. They are 2 totally serperate entities. If you make that change, it should work.

Go for WPA instead of WEP. More secure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

IrishTLR wrote:

Go for WPA instead of WEP. More secure.

Good advice. WEP encryption and MAC filtering are both easily bypassed by someone with a little bit of knowledge. I am not aware of anyway to bypass WPA that has a strong key.
    So forget mac filtering it's a waste of time, just use WPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

tuxy wrote:
    I am not aware of anyway to bypass WPA that has a strong key.
    WPA PSK can be cracked but only by using a dictionary attack from what I know so best to use a strong PSK to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Didn't I say that? Anyway all you need to know is that WEP is insecure and WPA is as secure as the key you use.

Advertisement