Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Cycling

Options
  • 23-09-2007 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭

I began cycling to and from work during the summer and found it really handy and enjoyable too! It was a way of being free from the bus timetables and from waiting on a lift into town to get to work in the mornings.

However now that I have become so used to cycling, I want to cycle to college this winter (it's about a 45 to 60 minute ride from home to ucc). It's better than getting the bus and again, gives me a lot more freedom.

We all know that Ireland's winter's aren't bike friendly though, or so it would seem to me anyway. As a relative newbie to serious winter bike commuting, what would people on here advice me to wear?

I was initially thinking that a pair of loose bike shorts; either the special lycra ones or just a pair of casual polyester flood pants one would wear in summer.
    - If it was rainy a breathable rain pants could be easily slipped over these.

For the upper body I thought a polyester shirt or something similar would do the trick and again if it was to become rainy, to carry along a breathable rain jacket.

The thing is though - you can't really walk into a lecture with all of this stuff on. I'd have to carry my clothes with me and change upon arrival at the college and that's kinda an inconvenience. Maybe I'd be best off simply wearing a pair of floodpants as described above, with a normal shirt on too and bring a jacket and rainpants. That way I'd only have to change into a jeans and jumper!

Anyone have any tips or idea's?

By the way, apologies for the post being so long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

The bulkiest thing you'll have to bring to college is a dry pair of shoes (or normal shoes/runners if you are using spd cycling shoes). I generally have a pair of normal shoes/runers under my desk at work for when I cycle in. It saves me having to carry regular shoes everday. Then all thats left to carry are you regular clothes which don't really amount to much. Trousers, underwear, tshirt/shirt and a jacket. Again you could have a Jacket left in a locker in college with your regular shoes to save carrying it everyday.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ usually have good deals. I got some Endura Humvee 3/4 length cycling shorts with padded liner not so long ago http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9356 . The padded liner really makes the saddlemore comfortable and cuts down on the chaffing too. I'm yet to get myself sorted for a winter jersey but I'd recommend a fast drying light long sleeve cycling jersey http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9344 perhaps?.
    A breathable lightweight and waterproof jacket is essential too. You don't want to get soaked and at the same time you don't want to be sweating like crazy while cycling, so maybe something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8934 would do the job? Some waterproof warm gloves too are essential for those winter mornings. You don't want your fingers dropping off from the cold.

You can get waterproof socks too if you want to go all out. Panniers might be another option if you don't want to leave stuff in college and don't fancy carrying it on your back everyday.

It might seem like an awful lot of money for the cycle clothing but it does help alot. I've recently moved further away from work and my commute has increased in distance over less pleasant terrain (steep hills!) and I've pretty much got everything to buy for this winter as well, so what I've suggested is what I'm thinking of getting for myself.

Oh yeah, don't forget mudguards, some lights and a helmet too.
    If only there was something us cyclists could do against headwinds too!

Hope this was some help.

Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Fabio

Thanks very much for all of that info Pete, I appreciate you taking the time to get those links and all.

Currently I don't have mudguards on my bike but I have a pair in the garden shed - just have to whip them out and bolt them on. Thanks for reminding me about lights too!

Are lights a magnate for messers who just love to annoy people though? IE - Is it common for them to be snatched from a bike when parked?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Fabio wrote:
    Are lights a magnate for messers who just love to annoy people though? IE - Is it common for them to be snatched from a bike when parked?

Most are removable, so you don't leave 'em on the bike!

Most are removable, so you don't leave 'em on the bike!
    Now if only I had thought the post through before clicking "submit"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Fabio wrote:
    I began cycling to and from work during the summer and found it really handy and enjoyable too! It was a way of being free from the bus timetables and from waiting on a lift into town to get to work in the mornings.

However now that I have become so used to cycling, I want to cycle to college this winter (it's about a 45 to 60 minute ride from home to ucc). It's better than getting the bus and again, gives me a lot more freedom.

We all know that Ireland's winter's aren't bike friendly though, or so it would seem to me anyway. As a relative newbie to serious winter bike commuting, what would people on here advice me to wear?

I was initially thinking that a pair of loose bike shorts; either the special lycra ones or just a pair of casual polyester flood pants one would wear in summer.
    - If it was rainy a breathable rain pants could be easily slipped over these.

For the upper body I thought a polyester shirt or something similar would do the trick and again if it was to become rainy, to carry along a breathable rain jacket.

The thing is though - you can't really walk into a lecture with all of this stuff on. I'd have to carry my clothes with me and change upon arrival at the college and that's kinda an inconvenience. Maybe I'd be best off simply wearing a pair of floodpants as described above, with a normal shirt on too and bring a jacket and rainpants. That way I'd only have to change into a jeans and jumper!

Anyone have any tips or idea's?

By the way, apologies for the post being so long.

What I use:

Baselayer - tight fit and essential in the windy/cold weather
    Some sort of cycling shirt - over the base layer
    Wind/waterproof jacket - over the first two
    Reflective jacket - with a bunch of lights attached!

For pants defo get some that have proper cycling padding, like the ones for mountain biking but are longer and more loose fitting. The selection in shops in Ireland is limited TBH, but there are loads online, esp. from NL or Germany.

Get a good set of lights and reflective gear, and just clip them on and off as required. DOn't leave them on the bike unattended, they will be nicked.

I used to wear a tracksuit on the bike, but the difference with some basic proper clothing was really remarkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Have a raincoat for the top, but I wouldn't bother with rain trousers, if you just wear lycra shorts/tights they can just get wet and it doesn't really matter. You will actually get wetter with rain trousers in my experience, it will just be coming from the inside rather than out. May as well get something flourescent for the raincoat while you are at it.

Shoe-wise I wear sandals when it's not too cold, if it rains water runs off and they dry quickly. When it gets colder, shoes with a pair of overshoes (I have the BBB water resistant ones, you'll get them in any bike shop.) These work incredibly well and will keep your shoes and feet completely and utterly dry even in a torrential downpour.

Cycled to college today with polyester floood pants which were nice and cool and comfortable.

However I wore a cotton t-shirt and paid for it! To be fair though I had a rucksack on my back and that made my back pretty wet (time for a rack to be put on the back of the bike methinks).

Polyester shirt in future (till I get the proper gear!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Get a big courior bag like the ones from www.timbuk2.com and http://bagaboo.hu/ . There water proof, comfy, and the L and XL sizes are truely massive, . I have two, and i love them. They look good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Did you actually buy one from Bagaboo? If so, how much was the postage?
    Andy-Pandy wrote:
    Get a big courior bag like the ones from www.timbuk2.com and http://bagaboo.hu/ . There water proof, comfy, and the L and XL sizes are truely massive, . I have two, and i love them. They look good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Did you actually buy one from Bagaboo? If so, how much was the postage?

Nope, picked it up at the courior world championships (im an ex-courior) for €70. Have to say i prefer it to the timbuk2 bags. You can find them on ebay and other places. Its a great bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Lidl have cycling gear on sale from this thurs, 27th.
    I'm thiniking of winter cycling and just need something for my legs in the cold mornings. Lidl have cycling winter pants so I'm going to check them out...it's hard to get the motivation to cycle though when it's cold, wet,dark and the car is sooo iniviting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wwhyte

Fabio wrote:
    Cycled to college today with polyester floood pants which were nice and cool and comfortable.

However I wore a cotton t-shirt and paid for it! To be fair though I had a rucksack on my back and that made my back pretty wet (time for a rack to be put on the back of the bike methinks).

I'm a huge fan of rear racks. They make such a difference to your comfort. I never go more than a mile with anything on my back if I can help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Treade

it is Aldi that have the cycling gear this Thursday.

Lidl's gear went on sale on monday. I got 2 cycling jackets, 2 base layers and a pair of cycling leggings in Lidl on Monday. €80 for the lot. Very good value and alos good quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

Treade wrote:
    it is Aldi that have the cycling gear this Thursday.

Lidl's gear went on sale on monday. I got 2 cycling jackets, 2 base layers and a pair of cycling leggings in Lidl on Monday. €80 for the lot. Very good value and alos good quality

Anyone know if there's much left in Lidl? Good range of sizes?

Just go to Aldi tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

dinneenp wrote:
    it's hard to get the motivation to cycle though when it's cold, wet,dark and the car is sooo iniviting.
    ...until you look out and see the traffic jams. best motivation i can think of!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kenmc wrote:
    ...until you look out and see the traffic jams. best motivation i can think of!
    Very true, I have the use of a car sometimes but never take it, even in really bad rain. I have to leave 45mins for the car journey, 20 for the bike, if the rain is really bad I would have to leave 60mins for the car, 25-30 on the bike in heavy rain gear.

In winter I just have a tshirt tracksuit bottoms and a very light highvis jacket, gloves & hat/balaclava. Sometimes just a tshirt and no jacket, I just cycle fast to stay warm, the hands are the only thing that really get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

all its takes me is to get the bus in one day and i'm back on the bike in everything but snow.

I change in work so just go in something warm and dont mind the wet and it works fine, although some days i do wish i could sit in a car and listen to the radio with the heat on full

I had to drive in this morning and it was the worst thing ever. I got up extra early to avoid most of the traffic but it seems everyone else had the same idea. My route from Finglas to city centre can take 50-50 minutes. It can take me 15 minutes to crawl down streets like Finglas Road, Church St or Queen street depending on what route I take....the same time it takes me to cycle.
    I bring a full change of clothes with me. I generally have some regular shoes in work and bring everything else with me. My normal cycling outfit would be some padded cycling shorts, some 3/4 lengths and a t shirt or long sleeve t shirt. Most important thing to remember is the gloves though. It's meta-carpel suicide without them at this time of year. The rest of my body can tolerate the cold and will warm up but I just can't stand cold hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yeah I have a car, sitting outside most of the week. Don't remember the last time I drove to work - think it was to bring the car for it's NCT or something!.
    Usual atire for me these days is padded lycra shorts, altura baggy MB shorts, a short-sleeved cycle top and a long sleeved baselayer. Just started wearing the overshoes, cos the vents inthe shoes make my feet cold. I just bought a winter cycling jacket in lidl the other day but it's too warm still for it - handy for wind though cos it's windstopper front. Have a pair of tights but not worn them yet - not cold enuff. Just bought the long fingered cycling gloves in aldi this morning, was in short fingers till now.
    I have a shower in work and a locker - leave my shoes in there, a couple of trousers & shirtswhich are swapped every couple of days, bring in boxers, socks and a tshirt on the bike, and we're all set! Glad I don;t need to wear a suit and tie though, that'd be harder to manage to keep the shirt pressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Picked up a jacket and leggings in Aldi this morning, seems to be quality gear... won't know till tomorrow how it performs though. The stuff seems to be fairly flying off the shelves. It was weird though, it seemed to be grannies buying everything in sight, maybe shopping for other people or maybe they just can't resist the bargains :rolleyes: ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

yeah, ducked off work about 10 this morning and all that was left was the gloves :(

only one of the yellow jackets (small) and one pair of leggins (small) at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Was up in Aldi in Finglas a few minutes ago and they still had quite a lot of gear left.

The equestrian stuff seems to be a bigger seller in that branch:rolleyes:

The equestrian stuff sells well in finglas because my neighbours are buying it all!

horse.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I bet that horse could use a pair of overshoes. Maybe send it down to Aldi before they're all gone.
    pete4130 wrote:
    The equestrian stuff sells well in finglas because my neighbours are buying it all!

horse.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

my brother and I went up to Aldi in Santry earlier, only small sizes in overshoes left. A decent amount of gear left though. Got a jacket, jersey, gloves, leggings and rain bottoms all for €70. Not cold enough yet, but i'll be glad of it when I go back to college in a couple of weeks. For the first time ever I've a full set of waterproof winter gear-should make my winter so much easier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I missed out on the right sized dungaree leggings and I need them badly. Any suggestions of where I might find some for a good price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jaycummins

are any of the aldi stores not sold out, cos i really need gear and aparently there was a queue of abou fifty people outside the aldi on parnel street this morning. any aldis still have gear???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jaycummins

I missed out on the right sized dungaree leggings and I need them badly. Any suggestions of where I might find some for a good price?

only palce i can think of is lidl or aldi, the next time they come around. other than that, try some of those cycleshops (not cycleways tho cos they'll rip you off) if they dont have any relatively cheap ones then ask them wqhere you can get them

• Advertisement
Advertisement