Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help an idiot

• 23-09-2007 10:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Right, moved into a house yesterday. 3mb wireless Eircom broadband. Want to get the 360 live, what do i need to do?

Can someone walk me through exactly what ill need

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

get a xbox 360.

either buy in store a xbox live subscription or use your credit card through your console online.

turn on the xbox 360

there you go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Plug cable from modem into 360, create account, enjoy 1 month free live.

Or you can buy the wireless adapter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

you should get one month xbox live gold when you set your gamertag up for xbox live for the first time and then just pick up a prepaid card in one of the shops around : game / gamestop / hmv / virgin / smyths / xtravision... .

you can connect to xbox live either with a silver or gold account but only gold will let you play game over live and also some demo's are gold only for a short time.

seen as your with eircom , set your firewall to low and there are also the ports xbox live needs open in a drop down list .

go into the system blade on your 360 then click on network settings and run the test xbox live , once thats finished you want it to be showing you as connected to live but also as having an open nat .

if you don't get the one month gold give us a shout and i'll pm you a 48 hour code to get you started.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Right, should have said. I want it to connect wirelessly so obviously need the adaptor. Ill be going into GameStop in a while, ill ask them about those prepaid cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Melion wrote:
    Right, should have said. I want it to connect wirelessly so obviously need the adaptor. Ill be going into GameStop in a while, ill ask them about those prepaid cards.

i picked up a second hand wireless adaptor in gamestop for about half the price as a new one , ask if they have any as it may save you around €40 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

How do you (or can you?) change the NAT settings from "Strict" and what difference does it make? I'm connected through 3mbs Digiweb and the NAT is always Strict. Live seems to work fine with it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

You don't need the wireless adapter if you have a laptop or a pc with a wireless connection, you just hook the console to the said computer and confogure your network settings to allow a shared net connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Go to xbox.com ,see xbox live/ help.Its easier to set up an account online wth ms first,then plug the net cable into xbox network port, go set up xbox live,let it find all dhcp, ip settings automatically.TAKES about 5minutes.THINK of a gamertag, be4 you start.Get everything working ,first play a game on live, then try setting up a wifi connection.Typing all the info from the 360 virtual keyboard takes ages, if you dont follow my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

If you setup an account online first dont you miss out on the 1 month free gold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

bucks73 wrote:
    If you setup an account online first dont you miss out on the 1 month free gold?

Yeah, the account has to be created on the 360 to get the free 1 month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Dont mean to rob thread but was trying to set up my friends free month last nite. Said it needed an update to continue onto LIVE but it wouldnt download it. Keep getting error. It told me to run the test in 'system' and I did. Passed all the things then when it gets to the 'xbox live' one it says needs update and fails again. Any ideas anyone?? Thanks...

I just want to play pes 2008 demo :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

T-b0n3 wrote:
    Dont mean to rob thread but was trying to set up my friends free month last nite. Said it needed an update to continue onto LIVE but it wouldnt download it. Keep getting error. It told me to run the test in 'system' and I did. Passed all the things then when it gets to the 'xbox live' one it says needs update and fails again. Any ideas anyone?? Thanks...

I just want to play pes 2008 demo :(:(

most likely firewall settings and ports need to be opened on your router. Who is your ISP?

Its my friends but fairly sure its eircom. Whats the easiest way to go about doing all that??

Thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

if its eircom then use http://www.portforward.com/cports.htm to open the ports on the router and then while your still in the router config page change the firewall settings to low

Ok thanks neacy69, ill try that later when im in his and let you know.

Thanks again.

And sorry for semi hi-jacking thread!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I was getting that error over the weekend and I was just a case of restarting the machine a few times until it did download it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

jonny24ie wrote:
    I was getting that error over the weekend and I was just a case of restarting the machine a few times until it did download it!!

Nah its defo a firewall thing, (on Eircom) I had the same problem, so did my cousin, if you go into 192.168.1.254 and go to the ports part, in the drop-down you have to allow Upnp and theres an option for Xbox live....

Advertisement