Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banana Plugs or Not ?

• 23-09-2007 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

I am due to take delivery of my Onkyo 605 Amp, and KEF KHT3005 speaker package hopefully this week.

In general from browsing forums many people tend to use banana plugs to connect speaker cable to their Amp's or Speakers. Perhaps that's my answer then?

Any opinions on this ? I have been told banana plugs are more worth while on larger more expensive systems and bare wire should be fine.

If banana plugs are the way to go, any suggestions on what type to buy and where ? Assuming I'd probably need around 20.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

stick with the banana plugs they give a good clean connection,and keep the cable clean, they help prevent shorts between binding posts (they can be very close) they make the installation tidy, easy to remove and replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Thanks ! Any recommendations on which type to use, and where to buy? I've seen some for 2.50each, and others for 10.00each, so price varies as with everything.

Just wondering what would be the "good enough" catergory and where to source them.

Cheers !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Maplins do "Shark" banana plugs for car hifi and they're good quality and a screw-in type rather than solder. I forget the price but cheap plugs will let down the entire system so......

Ok, understood, thanks !

Found this store on eBay http://stores.ebay.ie/MalvernAudio_Banana-Spade-Connectors_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ4QQftidZ2QQtZkm, seems good value for 24k gold plated ones.

Is this the type I should be looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

any of those would be fine, it's nice to have gold plated plugs but unless the sockets are also gold plated (and even then it's debatable as to it's advantage) there's little point. As I say any of the ones there are fine for the job.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks, ordered them, and already got a "dispatched" confirmation. :)

Advertisement