Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird eggs..

• 23-09-2007 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭

I just had some eggs...they were all twins! Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Gaz

Had that happen myself before , every egg in a tray of 24 had two yolks ... x-file stuff

My dad said years ago he cracked an egg into a pan and a half formed chick fell out :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Ugh I can't eat an egg that has twin yolks. They freak me out. Come to think of it though, I haven't come across one for years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes, normal, there is a shop in Dun Laoghaire that almost always has two yolks per egg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

first time i've ever seen it. bit freaky seeing two yolks pop out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We often get 'twin eggs' in our supermarket. I was reading lately that even nowadays with all our technology, the way producers check the amount of yolks in an egg is to hold it up to a bright light!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

ooo wierd. Apparently it's cos of the genetics of the chicken laying the egg or summat. And the record for the most yolks in one egg is 9!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

It's likely you will get the odd twin yolks if you're buying free range eggs.
    But if you're getting all twin yolks in a tray of 24 that's more likely down to all the growth hormones etc. that the hens are pumped full of.

The half-formed chick means the egg was fertilised, so there was a cock, so we're probably talking 'proper' free range flock. The fact that it was half developed probably meant the egg wasn't picked straight away, or was kept in a warm place, which incubated the egg.
    A lot of (older generation) people swear by fertilised eggs for a nicer tasting egg.

Advertisement