Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limited or no connectivity

Options
  • 23-09-2007 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

* What is the issue? I'm connected to the internet via a wireless router (the problem isn't really the wireless as the same thing happened when I was at home on wired). Anyway, sometimes it'll connect perfectly fine, but other times it'll keep coming up with the message "limited or no connectivity". I've tried releasing the ip (ipconfig /release command). If I do that, then restart, it usually works again.

* When is it happening? Random times, usually after I've restarted my laptop or after I've locked it then unlocked it.

* Have you made any changes? Not that I can think of.

* Details are everything.
    I'm using Windows XP SP2. Laptop model: HP nx6125

* How good are YOU? Competent to expert, depending on the area (network knowledge: somewhat competent)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Ok, there's three components here.

1. The broadband line.
    2. The broadband router.
    3. The client PC, your windows XP station.

We need to find out which one is not working. Next time the broadband line goes down, there are a few things that you need to check.

a. make sure that the connection between your PC and the router is up. This can be done by pinging the router. Your router is probably on ip 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.0.1 - maybe you know this already. But try the following command.

PING 192.168.1.254

See if it replies. If it does this shows that there is nothing wrong with the connectivity between the PC and the router.

b. Next thing to check is to connect to the router. Most of the modern routers have a web interface so open up the browser and go to http://192.168.1.254, this will probably have the default password set on it. Look at the section on diagnostics or whatever it is called and see if the line is up. The router should say whether the line is up or down. I have seen before with Eircom lines that the line can go up and down intermittently if the line is bad. I suspect that your line may be going down.

c. Since you say that rebooting the PC sorts out the issue (dont know whether this is just conincidental), I would check the PC for viruses etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Troublesome

I tried that PING thing when I got the limited connectivity message. It came up with a 'couldn't make a connection' message.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Do u have the latest drivers?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is this a recent problem? Has the laptop ever worked consistently with wireless before?

Advertisement