Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite roast dinner side dishes

• 23-09-2007 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

I'm making a nice roast chicken with lemon and garlic for dinner today. Yum yum! I'm going to make carrot and parsnip puree, creamy mashed potatoes and broccoli for side dishes, maybe some stuffing too. If i was making beef I'd definitely cook some yorkshire puddings. What are your favourite roast dinnner side dishes? I'd love any suggestions to make next time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We've just polished off a roast leg of lamb, with gorgeous roast spuds, along with sprouts, sugar-snap peas and carrots. mmm, time to sleep now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not able to handle such big dinners but when I do, normally have sweetcorn and/or green beans (along with potato salad or mashed potatoes).

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Wish I hadnt read this thread now- I'm starving!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

mcauley wrote:
    Wish I hadnt read this thread now- I'm starving!!! :(

I can send you some roast chicken through the computer if you want!

I'd love to make roast spuds but our oven isn't really hot enough. Next week I think I'll make potato gratin. Ruu, I love the sweetcorn idea, I'm adding that to today's dinner now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love baby potatoes, halved tomatoes, quartered onions and unpeeled garlic cloves tossed in olive oil and roasted.
    It makes a nice change, and if you're roasting individual stuffed chicken fillets wrapped in streaky bacon you can just sit them on top of the veg and it all cooks in less than an hour. Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I am afraid I have no idea how to make this, but my mother-in-law makes this incredible dish of thinly sliced aubergines baked with tomatoes, garlic and mozzarella. We usually get a portion of this alongside our roast meat, carrots, broccoli and spuds. Mmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The following veg roasted:

Whole garlic bulb drizzled in olive oil.

Carrots sprinkled with whole cumin seeds & a drop of honey.

Butternut squash with ground cumin & coriander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

With roast beef, Potato Dauphinoise - made in a shallow pan on the hob with milk rather than cream - it ensures the potatoes are cooked and can be finished in the oven for a crispy top.

Yorkshire puds are a must. I like roast sweet potatoes with roast chicken.

Red onion marmalade with roast lamb - red onions are cooked for ages until very soft, thick, sweet and sticky - sharpened with a little anchovy and some red wine vinegar.

Any takers for cauliflower & cheese ?

And gravy - made with a home made meat stock and all the dregs from the roasting pan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Roast parsnips and mushy peas. Roast garlic and onion gravy. Yummmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I am proud to say I made my first roast dinner last night. Roast beef with red wine gravy, roast mustard baby potatoes, roast asparagus and carrots with parsley butter. It was pretty good if I do say so myself. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Oh yum. Will have to go and get some roast beef for dinner tomorrow. I love roast veg...sweet potatoes, parsnips, red onions, peppers, whole cloves of garlic. Of course yorkshire puds, mushy peas and crispy roast potatoes and creamy mash and home made gravy - yum

Advertisement