Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrade to Elite, HDMI Q's

• 23-09-2007 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Right so basically I got a Samsung 26" TV there a few weeks back and EVERYTHING looks amazing on it, but ive been tempted to trade for an Elite because it has HDMI connections, but i dunno if there will be a real difference at that size.

Im quite sure it can go 1080p, as its one of the options on the tele (i think) but is there much difference at all (compared to HDMI)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

I dont think you'll notice any difference in quality and as such dont think an upgrade to elite is worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The Samsung 26''s currently on the market cannot do 1080p. They do 720p/1080i max.

I have one myself and have my 360 on component and PS3 on HDMI through it. I can't see any quality difference in cross platform games on it. They are both set to 720p as I find it better than 1080i. But the difference between component and HDMI I cannot see at 720p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Hold off, its not worth the money, also in a couple of months all premiums will come with HDMI as standard. It's a pity the Elite doesn't have the HD-DVD drive built in as it would then be a more attractive package.

Snake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Premiums with HDMI are out there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

the big question is when will the hdmi premiums hit ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The human eye cannot differentiate between 720p and 1080p on a 26 tv.

the big question is when will the hdmi premiums hit ireland?
    They're here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

The Samsung 26''s currently on the market cannot do 1080p. They do 720p/1080i max.

I have one myself and have my 360 on component and PS3 on HDMI through it. I can't see any quality difference in cross platform games on it. They are both set to 720p as I find it better than 1080i. But the difference between component and HDMI I cannot see at 720p.

Is 720p better than 1080i (technically), I have 32 inch but wouldn't be too sure which is better.

They're here now.
    Really? That's great news.

Where have people seen these? What stores? How can they be identified?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭That Guy 901

Keith186 wrote:
    Is 720p better than 1080i (technically), I have 32 inch but wouldn't be too sure which is better.

Yea, I think 1080i is better but Im not sure. i is interlaced and p is progressive I think. Whats the difference?

Where have people seen these? What stores? How can they be identified?
    I saw them in work. They have HDMI written on the back of the box at the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

The human eye cannot differentiate between 720p and 1080p on a 26 tv.

Not strictly true.

The reason people cannot tell the difference in gaming is because most of the games are 720p to begin with so all you are doing with 1080p is stretching the image. My Dell 27" supports 1080p and I can tell you Bioshock at 1920x1200 looks awesome compared to 720p because the game natively supports that res.

There is also the small matter of people with consoles sitting back from their TV's 6 or 7 feet, so you often here people say you need a 42" + LCD to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. This is especially true of BD and HD movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

I use mine at 1080i, i think it looks better, maybe im just an eejit though.

I think if you use game mode on the Samsungs they look so class!
    So thats a no on the upgrade then?

What about the HD add on, or should i just keep my money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Reason why Elites are not shipping with HD-DVD drives built in is quite clever on M$ part actually. Think about it, you're undecided as to what format will win the war, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, what do you do?

Release an add-on for each.

Clever. Watch this space.

Reason why Elites are not shipping with HD-DVD drives built in is quite clever on M$ part actually. Think about it, you're undecided as to what format will win the war, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, what do you do?

Release an add-on for each.

Clever. Watch this space.

Or because MS want to fúck both formats and promote their video marketplace as they believe downloadable content is the future;)

I saw them in work. They have HDMI written on the back of the box at the bottom.
    Where are u Working Zapp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Or because MS want to fúck both formats and promote their video marketplace as they believe downloadable content is the future;)

24gb for a 1080p movie, not really gonna work out is it.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    24gb for a 1080p movie, not really gonna work out is it.

Nope but 5.3gb goes down a lot better.

The content on the video marketplace is less hefty to download. Like MP3 the quality won't be the same but people may accept this. (At least MS hope so)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Will the eilte only work on a tv with a HDMI connection or does it have other connections as well?

• Advertisement

It can still use component and VGA

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Plasmoid

Where are these Mythical Irish Hdmi totting 360's

A quick ask around (and looking at the back of the boxes) in Virgin, Game, Smyths and GameStop got me nothing.

I asked, and i got repsonses varying from "no, your thinking of the Special Halo Edition, the Premium will never have hdmi" to "uhhhh.... no, but i dont know, let me... no"

Im looking to get a 360 before Mass Effect launches and hdmi would be a handy thing for me, and the Elite is looking mighty tempting.

Advertisement