Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestling Event In Cork?

• 23-09-2007 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hey. I was in the city yesterday and drove past a poster advertising some US wrestling all stars event in City Hall. I didn't get a date or anything but from the poster it looks like Gangrel will be there as well as a Batista rip-off! It promises to have several US stars aswell! Does anyone have any more information on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

probably one of those godawful shows where they get people who pretend to be stars,there was one in limerick a few years back the parents who took their kids to it must have felt like right idiots paying to see a bunch of fat guys who dont even look like the people theyre pretending to be,or it could be just an indy show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Cork isn't on IWW's upcoming tour, and NWA and CPW don't seem to be planning any shows there, so I'd be wary of going to it. I've never been to one of those shows that has fake WWE guys, but a couple of my mates were years ago and it sounds like an experience that would make me very very angry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

If it has Gangrel on it and a bunch of wannabee's, its more than likely an Orig Williams-promoted show in which case you should steer clear.

I thought he got sued by WWE and was banned from promoting events? Here's a poster from one of his shows, in case it looks in any way similar to the one in Cork:

7090_1.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ya, thats pretty much the poster alright.

IWW have only ran Cork shows in Trabolgan in summer 2005. Pity, but there isn't really a decent venue which isn't too big ie City Hall or Neptune.

NWA ran a show in Cork 2 years ago. CPW never have, but from what I hear thats a god awful promotion anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Fozzy wrote:
    I thought he got sued by WWE and was banned from promoting events? Here's a poster from one of his shows, in case it looks in any way similar to the one in Cork:

7090_1.JPG

Lol is that Jonny Storm on the ladder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

No, It's Jeff Hardy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

the same show is being held in the butler community centre here in waterford on oct 13th

Main attraction is brody steele and a divas match plus a load of lookalikes, from the poster i saw there promoting brody steele as a batista like character

promotion is called all star american wrestling or something, promoting that rubbish the same week as IWW at the forum is a bit silly

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 DerekSmalls

American Avalanche~! Phwor!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

This is Orig Williams, up to his usual tricks.

While I know that most users on here will be wary of going to one of his shows, I can't speak for Mum, Dad and 3 kids who won't know any better. He wasn't sued but he has been contacted legally several times for infringement of trade mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

The poster I saw only 50 times today has no names on it but features Gangrel a Vader looking guy with a WWF tag belt, A Batista lookalike and a few other randomers

Even if you're going just to see Gangrel I'd be wary, I just had a look at the All Star Wrestling official forum, and there's a thread that mentions how Gangrel and Bryan Danielson were advertised for every show they did, but they were only actually at one show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Saw that poster on my way home today. I'm pretty sure they are the same organisation, or else they had a similar name, that were advertised in Cork a good few years back (possibly for Neptune).

Remember seeing ads on the local paper and it was gonna feature Gangrel and Luna but it was around the time they were called-up by WWE....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

Went to one of those shows about 2 years ago in dungarvan was only on down the road from me so me and a few mates went to check it out horrible horrible crap.

It was the real gangerl alright and luna was cancelled at the last minute.

Dont go if you wanna see decent wrestling but if ya enjoy cringeing alot, waking up in your sleep laughing afterwards and want to buy fake wwe merch then its the place to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

This show sounds so bad but I bet it would be fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HI V

Its this sort of **** that oric williams is puttin on that is going to further disillusion people with coming to indy wrestling shows. The Batista look a like is not brody steele but sum guy whose name is and i quote 'THE SMACKDOWN WARRIOR'.

This show sounds so bad but I bet it would be fun :D

Oh its funny alright I remember one of the shows back in 94 or 95 I think he had baskin booger (unsure of spelling but the big fat guy with grey tape wraped around him) a fake doink hbk and lex luger the ring got trashed half way through and poor auld baskin got botted by a glass lucozade bottol and the show was called off early

Then in about 99ish they had another with a fake kane and undertaker who was the same guy and you could tell by the same drawn on tatoos and jonny storm as matt hardy lol

pingu_girl wrote:
    Oh its funny alright I remember one of the shows back in 94 or 95 I think he had baskin booger (unsure of spelling but the big fat guy with grey tape wraped around him) a fake doink hbk and lex luger the ring got trashed half way through and poor auld baskin got botted by a glass lucozade bottol and the show was called off early

Then in about 99ish they had another with a fake kane and undertaker who was the same guy and you could tell by the same drawn on tatoos and jonny storm as matt hardy lol

A few drinks and then off to watch/laugh at this event = a great night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

far from a good night out, in fact all you are doing is supporting this rip off nonsense.

pingu_girl wrote:

pingu that the show in WIT sports hall on the cork road, where for some inexplicable reason we all started shouting hitman herman to the guy that was supposed to be kevin nash

Weird weird night that

Shin

• Advertisement

Yeah what was that about?!?! and the diva with the cotten eye joe theme music vs a fake austin the following year fun times.

Jesus Ive gone to waaaaaaaaaaay to many of these things.

pingu_girl wrote:
    Yeah what was that about?!?!

have no earthly idea, just remember at one stage the fake kanes wig nearly falling off and it was either mr usa or mr america who had the thick manchester accent and every 5 mins your mansaying CHOKESLAM CHOKESLAM CHOKESLAM, and lest not forget the fat sting lol

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

This whole shindig sounds nearly as good as what WWE are putting out at the moment!! :D

The fat sting lmfao. Ive changed my mind I havent been to enough of these things! That was oric himself the guy who runs the shows comentating from the back shouting chee-tah! chee-tah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

pingu_girl wrote:
    Went to one of those shows about 2 years ago in dungarvan was only on down the road from me so me and a few mates went to check it out horrible horrible crap.

Heh, remember when this was on in Dungarvan years ago and I couldn't attend due to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

bombidol wrote:
    far from a good night out, in fact all you are doing is supporting this rip off nonsense.
    For christ sake it's just a bit of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Yeah, but if people are paying money, and dont realise that these are impersonators (You'd be surprised)....its not fun! Its a rip-off!

I dont think people should make a living off the character someone else has created...

Y2J_MUFC wrote:
    Yeah, but if people are paying money, and dont realise that these are impersonators (You'd be surprised)....its not fun! Its a rip-off!

I dont think people should make a living off the character someone else has created...

If they are wrestling fans (and I take it that most people who go to see a wrestling show are wrestling fans) then they should know that it's not WWE they are going to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Y2J_MUFC wrote:

Welcome to the entertainment industry. You think Flair created the Nature Boy? He didn't. You think Hogan's character is original? It's not, Jesse Ventura and Billy Graham did it before him.

Even in music. 15 years on Ronan Keating is still going with his sh*tty cover versions.

As they say.... that's entertainment!
    VR!

• Advertisement

If they are wrestling fans (and I take it that most people who go to see a wrestling show are wrestling fans) then they should know that it's not WWE they are going to see.

Ah come on, Woody, surely you are a bit brighter than just to assume that. The whole idea of a big bright poster is to show you what to expect; you see Rey Mysterio, the Rock etc, then you rightfully expect WWE. Never mind that the poster hasn't got a trademark or "copyright Titansports" or "ring Ticketmaster"; people see, people go; if they don't see what they expect, they complain. Some of them don't know that this is not legit; do all circuses look as good on TV as they do in a tent on the local fairgreen? I think not.

Not everybody is a smark; Mum and Dad and their 10 year old kids won't know that it's a rip off. Not everybody knows better first off; I think a lot of us went to one of these shows at some stage. And dare I say it, but not everybody cares that it isn't the real thing. Wrestling is so much about illusion and conjecture that shows like this (Orig is not the only one at this tribute business) wil work and continue to work, simply because not everybody knows it's Aldi reject tat, and when they do they live and hope.

Hamndegger wrote:
    Ah come on, Woody, surely you are a bit brighter than just to assume that. The whole idea of a big bright poster is to show you what to expect; you see Rey Mysterio, the Rock etc, then you rightfully expect WWE. Never mind that the poster hasn't got a trademark or "copyright Titansports" or "ring Ticketmaster"; people see, people go; if they don't see what they expect, they complain. Some of them don't know that this is not legit; do all circuses look as good on TV as they do in a tent on the local fairgreen? I think not.

Not everybody is a smark; Mum and Dad and their 10 year old kids won't know that it's a rip off. Not everybody knows better first off; I think a lot of us went to one of these shows at some stage. And dare I say it, but not everybody cares that it isn't the real thing. Wrestling is so much about illusion and conjecture that shows like this (Orig is not the only one at this tribute business) wil work and continue to work, simply because not everybody knows it's Aldi reject tat, and when they do they live and hope.

I'm sure there are some people that will go and think that it's the wrestlers on TV they are going to see and yes that is f**ked up but this Orig guy is getting away with it. I have never been to one of these shows. (Does it say on the posters that The Rock, Kane, Jeff Hardy etc... will be on the show or do they have fake names??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Ummm.....no. Right, you got a kid who likes wrestling, you've got parents who might know the odd name, (Stone Cold?). Parent probably doesnt know the WWE from the broadside of a barn.

VR, comparing Hulk Hogan to Jesse Ventura. One guy with the catchphrase ""Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!" , the other has "Eat your vitamins and say your prayers". Ones heel, ones face. I dont see a connection....

But even, saying they are similar, then fair enough. Right, but Hogan didn't come out and call himself Jesse "The Body" Ventura, and pretend to be him. Similar characters are one thing. Impersonators are something completely different...

Y2J_MUFC wrote:
    VR, comparing Hulk Hogan to Jesse Ventura. One guy with the catchphrase ""Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!" , the other has "Eat your vitamins and say your prayers". Ones heel, ones face. I dont see a connection....

But even, saying they are similar, then fair enough. Right, but Hogan didn't come out and call himself Jesse "The Body" Ventura, and pretend to be him. Similar characters are one thing. Impersonators are something completely different...

You don't see the connection that they are both Billy Graham impersonators with different names? What are you, blind?
    And thats not what you were saying earlier, allow me to quote.
    Thats exactly what Hogan and Ventura did, they made a living off Graham's character. Just like Ric Flair made a living out of Buddy Rogers character. Hell most wrestlers today aren't original characters. Thats just the way it is.

VR!

You'll notice that most of the people going to this will be families. Simply down to the fact that the mammies and the daddies buy the tickets for their kids cause they see the names Kane or Stone Cold etc. Its highly illegal too I might mention. On any given show by Orig there could be 10+ copyright infringements. How would you feel if something you had broke your back to create was being badly ripped off in a foreign country?

bombidol wrote:
    Its highly illegal too I might mention. On any given show by Orig there could be 10+ copyright infringements. How would you feel if something you had broke your back to create was being badly ripped off in a foreign country?

I do agree to a degree copyright wise. But at the same time, it's hypocritcal. It's also a case that could be dragged out in court for several years due to the fact that a lot of wrestling characters are takeoffs from someone elses.

Regardless of who trademarked the names.
    VR!

• Advertisement

I do agree to a degree copyright wise. But at the same time, it's hypocritcal. It's also a case that could be dragged out in court for several years due to the fact that a lot of wrestling characters are takeoffs from someone elses.

Regardless of who trademarked the names.
    VR!

Big difference in what you are saying and what Bomb is saying, Nero. Orig is passing guys off as WWE names, not impersonators or tributes as he labelled a few posters or guys who's gimmicks are rip offs. He is as bad as the guys who sell CK hoodys in markets etc, it's sheer classic fraud.

Hamndegger wrote:
    Big difference in what you are saying and what Bomb is saying, Nero. Orig is passing guys off as WWE names, not impersonators or tributes as he labelled a few posters or guys who's gimmicks are rip offs. He is as bad as the guys who sell CK hoodys in markets etc, it's sheer classic fraud.

I'm well aware of what Orig is doing. And is completely illegal!
    But it's still a two way thing. You can't blame parents into thinking it's the real thing. Especially when WWE actually do a tour, it's advertised on it's programming constantly!

VR!

But it's still a two way thing. You can't blame parents into thinking it's the real thing. Especially when WWE actually do a tour, it's advertised on it's programming constantly!

VR!

I agree with VR, when WWE come over to Ireland it's all over the TV and the papers, radio, plus they always use the Point (Dublin) or the RDS (Dublin) WWE will never be in Cork, Limerick, etc... you don't have to be a "smark" to know thats it's not the WWE.

Havent WWE been to Cork before? Does limerick have a multi thousand seater arena?

See folks? Not only does bombidol post occasionally, but he also has a sense of humour! :D

VR!

• Advertisement

bombidol wrote:
    Havent WWE been to Cork before? Does limerick have a multi thousand seater arena?

theres 2 massive grounds here in limerick which would hold a massive wwe event but thetd never let it happen (despite the fact it would bring thousands of visitors and pump money in to the city, dont want that now)

I would just like to chime my opinion that outdoor wrestling events suck donkey balls. They look good on TV but the crowd is nowhere near as intense as it is at an indoor show. It would be almost the same if you took some of the Rugby games that have taken place, and stick em indoors! It's just not natural.

And of course, with our weather, doesn't make great for planning at all.
    VR!

I would just like to chime my opinion that outdoor wrestling events suck donkey balls. They look good on TV but the crowd is nowhere near as intense as it is at an indoor show. It would be almost the same if you took some of the Rugby games that have taken place, and stick em indoors! It's just not natural.

And of course, with our weather, doesn't make great for planning at all.
    VR!

good point,although that wont stop me going to mania 24! november 3rd,oh yes

Best of luck to you! At the rate it's going the main event will be Funaki vs Hornswoggle! ;)
    And Wrestlemania is on in November? They're really pushing it early! Don't WWE know that WCW is no longer in business and don't have to compete against Starrcade? Maybe Vince losing his mind really wasn't an angle after all.

VR!

lol no tickets go on sale november 3rd, and id mark like a little bitch if hornswaggle won the title at mania

krudler wrote:
    lol no tickets go on sale november 3rd, and id mark like a little bitch if hornswaggle won the title at mania

It would beat the hell out of Cena retaining it again, thats for sure.
    (Cue all the Cena lovers with their guns blazing, tin helmets on lads!)

VR!

way things are going i reckon itll be either orton/hhh or cena/hhh in the main event, maybe edge/taker for the WHC

VR!

You may find that you are expecting a little too much off some of those who don't watch WWE to know better, though; hence the fact that these rip off shows keep coming back.

Hamndegger wrote:
    You may find that you are expecting a little too much off some of those who don't watch WWE to know better, though; hence the fact that these rip off shows keep coming back.

Maybe, but i'm obviously not the only one who feels that there are two parties to blame in that instance. After all, how do most parents even know what wrestling is without either WWE or TNA in this day and age? ;)

VR!

Maybe, but i'm obviously not the only one who feels that there are two parties to blame in that instance. After all, how do most parents even know what wrestling is without either WWE or TNA in this day and age? ;)

VR!

Your point being that you and a few others here know better so everybody else should? Again, you are assuming that the average punter is a bit smarter than they are; if they were, then they would not be coughing up to go to it. We are, they aren't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement