Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords - Faulty Bike

Options
  • 23-09-2007 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

I purchased a Cererra Subday last Xmas in Halfords. I didn't really cycle the bike for the 1st few months until I started using it to cycle to the train station. After 2 months of cycling the bike, the entire rear gear mechasim snapped off.

Upon returning the bike to Halfords, they tell me that I will have to pay for the bike to be fixed because the manufacterer doesn't cover that part in their warranty.

Its my legal understanding that you can't sell a product if the entire product is under warranty.

"Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, anything you buy from a retailer must be:

of merchantable quality
    fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable
    as described, whether the description is part of the advertising or wrapping, on a label, or something said by the salesperson.

When you buy goods from a retailer, you make a contract with him. He agrees to provide certain goods to you for a certain price. If your purchase turns out to be faulty, the retailer, not the manufacturer, is responsible to you and must sort out your complaint. You are entitled to a refund, a replacement or a repair."

Can anyone confirm my position here as I don't want to get the bike repaired if this is going to happen again. I would rather have a trust worthy bike to get me around.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

OnLooker wrote:
    Can anyone confirm my position here as I don't want to get the bike repaired if this is going to happen again. I would rather have a trust worthy bike to get me around.

You are entitled to a free repair assuming that the problem resulted from normal usage (not for example crash damage). Your contract is indeed with the supplier, Halfords. The manufacturer's warranty is irrelevant since "fit for purpose" means that such a part (the "gear hanger") should not break off during normal usage.

But after this time you are not entitled to a refund or another bike, you first have to give them the opportunity to fix the problem. Only in the event where it continues to happen might you have a claim for another bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Do I have to get the bike repaired?? They have been messing me around for the last 5 weeks & only told me today that I have to pay for the repair.

I would much rather get my money back & buy elsewhere with no attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I assume it's the rear derailleur which snapped off. How exactly did it happen?

On most aluminium frames the derailleur is attached to a replaceable derailleur hanger. This is designed to snap off, preventing damage to the frame or derailleur.

After getting off the train, I unlocked my bike & began cycling it. I always leave the bike in the lowest gear when I get off it. I then moved the bike into 2nd gear & it snapped off & wrapped around the wheel.

I expected better after paying €370. I have been dealing with them since August 22nd & to tell me I have to pay for the part yesterday is disgraceful.

Am I right to say that u can't sell a bike with only part of it overed under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Generally a rear derailleur snapping itself off like that occurs if you bend the derailleur hanger (the bit Morgan references) in towards the wheel. It's common enough and I've done it myself, you can do it by leaning the bike against something on the gear side or if it gets a knock to the derailleur. The problem will of course occur when you are in your lowest gear at the back, closest to the spokes.

It's sort of a difficult one, if you were cycling it fine for two months and then it snapped, it does suggest that the problem may stem from it being bent by something after you bought it, it doesn't really sound like a manufacturing defect.

This happening doesn't really signify anything about the build quality of the bike; as I say it is caused by the hanger getting bent and can occur with any bike no matter how good.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I have had bikes for years now & I have never had this problem before. I only cycle the bike 10 mins a day so I would it to last alot longer than it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Point is it is a problem caused by the rear derailleur getting a knock or pressure of some sort, you could do it five minutes after getting the bike or five years, it's not something that wears down through use.

Advertisement