Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for accomodation for a weekend in Carlow

• 23-09-2007 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭

A bunch of us are coming to Carlow in 2 weeks time for a weekend, just wondering could anyone here recommend a place to stay...we're kind of looking for maybe an apartment or house to rent just for the weekend as near to the town as possible if anyone knows of anything? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Clare Bear wrote:
    A bunch of us are coming to Carlow in 2 weeks time for a weekend, just wondering could anyone here recommend a place to stay...we're kind of looking for maybe an apartment or house to rent just for the weekend as near to the town as possible if anyone knows of anything? Thanks.
    Yeah, check out the Otterholt. Phone number and stuff: http://www.hostelz.com/hostel/7422-Otterholt-Riverside-Lodge

You can rent a 4 bed room, or a 20 bed dorm, whatever your numbers are. It's about 10 minutes walk from the town, is fairly cheap, and don't mind if you (quietly) come back in the wee hours of the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Thanks for that the syco! But I have to say the comments are putting me off a bit to be honest...but thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

i have to say, its not that bad the owner there is quiet nice. the quality of service and things like that bad arent too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Actually there arent nearly enough hobos around - it would make the place seem a little more lively if you just slept on the riverbank with the swans.

i concur... and i think the swans get lonely at night

• Advertisement

Cheers lads :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

My advice is to stay away from the the Otterholdt if you can help it. I've stayed there a few times now and it seems to be hit or miss as to whether you'll have a decent and fun time, or you'll hate it.

And the times when you'll hate it, you'll really hate it :p

I cant recommend anywhere else though, sadly :(

there isnt actually anywhere else in carlow with that type of accomadation, unless you get one of the guys here to give you a bed for the weekend....again hit or miss

Yeah kind of surprised there doesn't seem to be anywhere like that...looks like we're going to have to scrap our Carlow plan and go elsewhere, thanks for the info anyway lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well, 7 Oaks is near the town, but probably costly. Renting out an apartment will be hard this time of the year, as many of the usual placew will be taken up by students. Thinking about it, many of the 4 bed rooms in the Otterholt are probably being used by students.

True, the Otterholt is crap, but you get what you pay for: a cheap place where you can come in at all hours, sleep, and head out again next day.

As for the negative comments about damp beds: I wonder did they say anything about them to the manager? If I had a problem, I told the manager there, and he'd fix it, try to fix it, or tell me why he can't fix it (there was ESB works next to the hostel one of the times I went down: they had knocked off the water for the showers). Some people will accept the sh|t, live with the sh|t, and then complain about the sh|t afterwards. Or you can tell the manager, and he'll see what he can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

claps for syco - if you're just down to get drunk who cares?

or you could get savvy and sleep with some girl you meet :)

Advertisement