Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buiding a glass block wall

• 23-09-2007 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

Greetings all,

Has any of you budding builder build a wall using glass blocks?
    I want to build a glass block wall between my shower and bath , to allow light into the shower.
    I like to know what to watch out for , how much they cost,
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    I want to build up to the height of the bath with 4 x 2 , sheeted with marine ply, tiled in mosaic, and then glass block to the ceiling..
    :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭skinner2x

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

You could also try roadstone Glassblocks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

see my blog! I am the expert ;)

I built a glass block wall for the wet room, about 6ft high, 4ft wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭skinner2x

Saw your blog, like the glass wall. I also have a stainless end post , got it cut/pressed for 60euro, got blocks for 3 euro each (Walsh Tiles, tullamore). Should get the wall finished this week..
    Question...
    For you extractor on the island, did you put a fire rated flue on it? If so hwere did you get it , and how much? I was told this is a necessity to prevent fire getting a quick route to upstairs..
    you jacussi bath, did you get that in tub s n tiles? It looks the same as mine...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

thanks
    Not sure to be honest lad, it is a "foil like" material flue, flexi but foil like. Sorry no more help on that!!! I got it in Heiton Buckleys.

The bath was bought in a local plumbers providers Hursts in Castlebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

yop,
    Hi, just found this, been searching for info bout glass tile blocks, got a shower I'm finishing off n the door for it was bought 4 years ago (long story 4 delay involves lightening etc n a complete re-dec of house) anyway, door 2 small was thinking of using glass blocks to fill gap, can a door be attached to blocks?????????? Down to my last room and cost is an issue, can buy extenders for door, but could be as much as 600 !!! Looking for cheapest option, all suggestions welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

B&Q have a good system. The glass blocks are about €4 each.

I have a glass block wall at my shower tray. I sealed between the blocks, 5mm joint of silicon. PM for details of supplier.

Alternatively consider using a sheet of toughten glass as it might work for you.

yop,
    Hi, just found this, been searching for info bout glass tile blocks, got a shower I'm finishing off n the door for it was bought 4 years ago (long story 4 delay involves lightening etc n a complete re-dec of house) anyway, door 2 small was thinking of using glass blocks to fill gap, can a door be attached to blocks?????????? Down to my last room and cost is an issue, can buy extenders for door, but could be as much as 600 !!! Looking for cheapest option, all suggestions welcome

I dont see why not to be honest, I ran the metal strapping though the blocks to tie it to the wall and solidify it.

Anything else please ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Hi all,

Quick:confused: question for ye experts or previous users of Glassblocks or similar product type.
    I have an upstairs en-suite that will be shared by 2 bedrooms. The idea is to have a doorway from each bedroom into a small hallway with a door into the ensuite.
    The problem is that neither the hallway nor en-suite has any natural light to it..! :eek:It’s a long story but I can’t put Velux or windows there……

Couple of options I was considering were a sun tunnel located on back roof coming across and down into en-suite to allow light in…Does anybody know how much light it will provide to the en-suite at the front of the house…Are sun tunnels effective or gimmicky….?

The other idea was as follows (trying to be imaginative here)::D

The hallway wall I describe above is immediately in front of you when come up the stairs (not visible from downstairs due to a turn in stairs) and behind you, there is a 1100mm wide and quite long window (daylight to the stairs area) that will allow lots of light flood in.

So, I thought… build the internal hallway wall in glass blocks of some colour (say cobalt blue) with a frosted type finish to allow the stairways light through….First question is: Would this sort of glassblock let enough light in to make it worthwhile?
    Assuming a positive answer on above, could I then also have a frosted glassblock wall between the hallway and the wall from the en-suite to continue the idea of letting light thru into the en-suite? Obviously need to maintain privacy of the en-suite….

Sounds complicated I know…!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MacTheKnife1

yop wrote: »
    see my blog! I am the expert ;)

Where can I see your blog.... is there some feature of boards.ie I am missing???

Advertisement