Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in a Box - UK

Options
  • 23-09-2007 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hi guys and gals,

Just wondering if anyone knows if you can get broadband in a box in the UK.

I've just moved here but my accommodation will be changing in next couple of months so don't want to commit to a line service. Can get a line into my room anyway.

Have looked on the net but no joy.

Anyone know of any ISP providing this?

Thanks folks,

K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Doesn't ring a bell, but 3 are doing USB modems in the UK now also from 10 quid a month - might be working researching.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Ripwave (sold as Broadband in a box) does not work in UK. They have dsl so don't need it.

Almost any service will be 12 month contract. The 3G/HSDPA will working UK/Ireland, check what roaming costs are from O2, Vodaphone and "3" to use it in UK and Ireland and it will often really be high speed dialup rather than DSL performance Broadband. (True for Ripwave too).

If you pay extra you might be able to get a fixed wireless solution for a 6 month contract. None of these are transferable to the UK. Performance varies from ISDN to ADSL depending on Supplier and Technology of Wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I was also looking for broadband without a landline in the UK and apart from getting a 3G datacard, there isnt much else out there. Broadband in a box, or WiMax (i think) is not very wideley available here.
    I tried the T-mobile web n' walk HSDPA datacard but the connection was crap most of the time and it didn't work very well with skype.
    If you want a decent internet connection, then get a BT landline installed and go for a broadband provider like Zen internet, who won't tie you into a 12 month contract. Your contract goes on a monthly basis. If you move alot, you can take your BT landline with you but be aware that they may charge you £125 if they have to send an engineer out to your house, which is what happened to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

ok thanks for the info guys

k.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Fixed WiMax is as widely used here as in the UK, which is not a lot in both cases. A number of different companies have 3.xGHz licences and in some areas different Companies have Fixed WiMax trials in UK and Ireland. It's nothing astounding for users compared with other modern Fixed Wireless products, the extra performance is used to allow more users on a mast sector, not to particularly give much more speed (typically 2Mbps for 3.x Wireless)..

Some WiFi derived pre-WiMax products are sold as "broadband in a box" using internal aerials, the Wireless Broadband equivalent to "Rabbits Ears". It's often suggested these are Wimax. They perform poorly compared to external aerial fixed Wireless, Wimax or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement