Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Weather Stations

Options
  • 23-09-2007 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm heading to NY in December and I've been thinking for a while of getting a weather station. I have a couple of questions for those in the know however.

Firstly, I've done some looking around for distributors/sellers of weather stations in NY but can't really find anything. Anyone have any leads on this?

I'm probably going to go for a Vantage Pro II so I'm wondering if the packaging with this gets large? I have to get the thing back on the plane and if it's too large it won't be worth my trouble really.

What is the ideal placing for a weather station? My garden is pretty enclosed, having a row of houses, of which I'm part, to the SW which will block the prevailing wind a bit and I've a 3 storey block of appartments and townhouses behind me so I'm not sure if this will cause me problems in getting good values for wind measurements.

I'll probably have more questions but these are the main ones I've got right now. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

The box is 13x18x9 inches in size.
    and afaik your only aloud $180 worth of stuff back from the US or customs will confiscate it.

With regard the anemometer,it has 40 foot odd lenght of cable for placing away from the ISS(integrated sensor suite) so be enough to install at a higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Is it only E180 you're allowed? Damn! So much for that plan! Anyone know of a good distributor in the UK or Ireland where I could get one?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

If you're going wireless, another issue is that there are VP for US and VP for europe. They use different frequencies. There are 2 europe versions, the difference being the plug.

With the current exchange rate I'd consider importing a UK version direct from US, even with shipping, VAT and duty would still cost considerably less that getting it in UK. The trade off being if something goes wrong, it would cost more to sort out.

Advertisement