Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alouette III ?

Options
  • 23-09-2007 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

What is the story with the Alouette III (?) helicopters.

I have seen a formation of them flying around Blackrock last Wednesday and possibly on Friday. I think that there were either five or seven of them or maybe one of them was a Squirrel following them.

Are they gone out of service now ? If so, will we be keeping any as exhibits as they have done this State some considerable service ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I spend a good bit of my college work experience working on those Alouettes.
    Great machines for learning on due to their extreme simplicity and it would be great to see them on exhibit for everyone to see

Here are a few shots in and around the hanger:

a195daveh3ve8.jpg

a211ut4.jpg

a195davehxn2.jpg

a195boomro4.jpg

a213jr2.jpg

Here is the airframe trainer, there's basically nothing in it!
    alouettedemoty3.jpg

That hanger has some old gems rusting in it.

Its good to finally see the Alouettes go tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

NUTLEY BOY wrote:

I have seen a formation of them flying around Blackrock last Wednesday and possibly on Friday. I think that there were either five or seven of them or maybe one of them was a Squirrel following them.

That was an EC135, and apparently some of the Alouette 3's will go to the museum.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Shame to see them go.I grew up seeing them operate from a army post beside my school along the border. More interesting than irish anyway....

Bramble wrote:
    More interesting than irish anyway....

WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

such an ugly copter really

tis ugly enough but its beautifully simple.

@Steyr I think he meant Irish Class.

Aha now i am wiser, thank you Sir.:) Il miss jumping out of them anyway!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

5uspect wrote:
    @Steyr I think he meant Irish Class.

Rodger that!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Amazing machines, very sad to see them go. 44 years service is a tremendous achievement, and respect is due to the guys who kept them in the air for so long.

• Advertisement

Amazing machines, very sad to see them go. 44 years service is a tremendous achievement, and respect is due to the guys who kept them in the air for so long.

Its a case of the 100 year old axe with only 5 new heads and 20 new handles tho. There's probably nothing left in them which is that old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I remember when George Bush stopped off in Shannon a few years ago

The place was locked down, as would be expected

When it was all finished, formation of about 12 IAC Helicopters (Including alouettes) all flew over my house (Live near shannon). Truely amazing sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Great machines and I agree let's not forget the guys on the ground that kept them flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 WeeDiddly

I would die just to have a go in them yokes... I think they look cool. Maybe look a bit of of place, but certainly not ugly!

Advertisement