Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Class Rep

Options
  • 23-09-2007 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭

Whats this trip I heard about that the nominees get to go on? Also, who else is running for class rep?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Class rep training is on in Rosslare from the 5th to the 7th October.

The official list of nominees is put tomorrow, but I'm not running myself, I'm Health Science Programme Officer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

4th Radiography class rep here more than likely - no one tends to run against me.

P.S. Is it that time of year again for an SU affiliation thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

There is more to being class rep then just the trip away (though that does rock). There are many other ways that you can help blow part of every students reg fee.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Ran uncontested for BA Comp Sci.

See you all in Rosslare :D I went down there the weekend before I started college actually, it's a bit of a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Am I the only one who doesn't like Class Rep Training?
    I didn't go last year and if elected I won't be going this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Am I the only one who doesn't like Class Rep Training?
    I didn't go last year and if elected I won't be going this year.

The mini evening class rep training they had last year was great.You only had to endure a couple of hours of happy clappy class reps shenanigans.
    Prettymonster you'll definatly be elected,I have no doubts.

Nominations etc are available on the ucdsu website now.

Elected uncontested. Woot.

Nominations etc are available on the ucdsu website now.

Elected uncontested. Woot.

Kudos to dajaffa for doing a top notch job in health sciences!All first four years of med are contested!Great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

panda100 wrote:
    Kudos to dajaffa for doing a top notch job in health sciences!All first four years of med are contested!Great stuff!
    Yeah thats really good to see particularly since ye are all Belfield based now. I'm quite shocked at the number of Vacant positions in other areas particularly 2nd Arts hopefully that'll get sorted.

21 vacant seats in Arts/Human Sciences... bloody hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Didn't realise it was that many I just skimmed through it.... god I hope theres a good few bi-elections!

Anyone care to fill me in with some details on the whole class training thing?

pretty_monster, why don't you like it?

karmabass wrote:

Because it's boring. Because I think having drunken parties all night and having training all day is a silly combination. Because while most reps are lovely people and there are a handful I would consider friends I have very little interest in partying with them en mass. Because it's not worth getting the time of work. And because if you have an inquisitive mind, are capable of paying a little bit of attention, and are intent on being a half way decent class rep you don't actually need training, you need a copy of the union constitution, standing orders, and an eye on the colleges newspapers.

And because if you have an inquisitive mind, are capable of paying a little bit of attention, and are intent on being a half way decent class rep you don't actually need training, you need a copy of the union constitution, standing orders, and an eye on the colleges newspapers.

I'v no doubt that this is true. I wouldn't be too concerned about actual learning on the trip, i'm more interested in going for the fun and experience of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

panda100 wrote:

Thanks, still vacancies in your year though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

karmabass wrote:

Its 2 nights drinking, waking up with serious hangovers (for those who actually go to sleep) and then spending 2 whole days (and I mean whole-they go from 9-7) learning being taught about the union and who does what. Then ye guys go into groups and give suggestions as to what can be done for the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fluther

Class rep Training was by far the best trip i went on last year...i met some the best people in the college there and made a sh1t load of friends...it really is a brilliant weekend away.. If you have the chance, go....it is soooooo much fun...
    Prettymonster...you know you love it;)

Oh and Kudos in Health Sciences Dajaffa...shame arts was such a let down...

Fluther wrote:
    Prettymonster...you know you love it;)

Can't say that I do. especially this year seeing as how i'm a bitter old post-grad.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I have to say I was kinda disappointed by the union last year, by the end all we talked about ever was the union itself and not the general student population.
    The officers were great, and they will be this year too, but I felt there were too many reps, especially since most of them never turned up.

It was also a bit cliquey and political in the bad, social climbing sense.

lizzyvera wrote:
    It was also a bit cliquey and political in the bad, social climbing sense.
    Actually Its amazing how uncliquey the union can be.Generally its only a few far left and far right cliques that sit together at council and do cliquey things together.The majority of preople involved in the union are not at all cliqish(if thats a word!)and very welcoming to new people.
    I would really recomend anyone thinking of getting involved in the union wether it be on the ents team or helping out at welfare events to give it a shot.You dont have to be a class rep to be actively involved in the union.
    dajaffa wrote:
    Thanks, still vacancies in your year though
    There is actually a motion I want to put through council.I think a fairly important one so I might take you up on that offer.And Mattews in Vincents so It might be good to have a mater rep to even things out.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote:
    Actually Its amazing how uncliquey the union can be.Generally its only a few far left and far right cliques that sit together at council and do cliquey things together.The majority of preople involved in the union are not at all cliqish(if thats a word!)and very welcoming to new people.
    I respectfully disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

panda100 wrote:
    I would really recomend anyone thinking of getting involved in the union wether it be on the ents team or helping out at welfare events to give it a shot.You dont have to be a class rep to be actively involved in the union..

Actually that's what I mean. I never understood why being left or right had ANYTHING to do with student issues. We don't support them financially and even the far right ones wouldn't say "they should pay for their own private health care" or "if they can't afford rent, tough". Left and right had no bearing on any decision made so people sitting in left and right cliques were doing so just for the sake of having a clique!

I also noticed a lot of people were involved in other youth political groups so I became suspicious that they were class reps more to further their own political careers and meet other potential politicians than to organise parties and be there for their classes.
    I used to think that people became involved in politics because they were idealistic and informed but now I think they get involved in politics because they like titles and are social climbing ****s.

I was going to run again this year but was told not to by an SU person for a really hypocritical reason I can't explain here. I was kind of disgusted by the way something that should be fun and accessible became so political.

I DO realise that we need a union and I'm very happy with the sabbats this year, so this isn't an attack on the SU for the sake of it.

I've come to the conclusion the Union is what you make of it.

Whilst I'm interested in politics myself I've never let it be part of my work as a class rep. I'm there to represent my class and work on their behalf, not to be a political junkie making rows in order to further my own cause.

Some do seem to forget that they're not there for themselves alone, they're there for the people they represent, which is, if you ask me, a pity.

lizzyvera wrote:

I also noticed a lot of people were involved in other youth political groups so I became suspicious that they were class reps more to further their own political careers and meet other potential politicians than to organise parties and be there for their classes.
    I used to think that people became involved in politics because they were idealistic and informed but now I think they get involved in politics because they like titles and are social climbing ****s.

In my experience,Generally people get involved in youth politics because they want to make a differnce.Though there is a few people who just like the social climbing title aspect the real majority really do want to make a differnce to students lives be that helping with the accomodation crisis or organising class parties. Its best just to avoid the social climbing types but they really are far and few between of those who are actively involved in the union.I admit to judging many fianna failers as such in the past but once you get to know them you see that they genuinly want to make a differnce.

You said you were a class rep last year.Did you find it difficult to get involved?I admit that at a lot of union things like council I felt like an outsider but as steperunie says it really is what you make it and I think if you make a concentrated effort to get involved then people will accept you quite quickly :)

lizzyvera wrote:
    Left and right had no bearing on any decision made so people sitting in left and right cliques were doing so just for the sake of having a clique!

Or.. (wild shot in the dark) 'cos they were mates with them maybe.
    I used to sit with the lefties. Now I sit with the cynics (when I can find any).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fluther

I disagree with this idea of cliques in the union..i actually find that it's not cliquey at all...it just appears to be...new people are always welcome, unless they're incredably unbearable.
    I have friends who are right and left and i sit beside any of them at council...In fact one of the closest friends i made through the SU is a die hard fianna failer and we NEVER agree on anything politically but it doesn't stop us from being mates... I think if you make an effort with people and look past their politics then you realise that UCDSU isn't cliquey at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Fluther wrote:
    I disagree with this idea of cliques in the union..i actually find that it's not cliquey at all...it just appears to be...new people are always welcome, unless they're incredably unbearable.
    I have friends who are right and left and i sit beside any of them at council...In fact one of the closest friends i made through the SU is a die hard fianna failer and we NEVER agree on anything politically but it doesn't stop us from being mates... I think if you make an effort with people and look past their politics then you realise that UCDSU isn't cliquey at all.

Agreed. In February 2005 when I ran for president, withput being known to anybody in the union and without a team. All the other activists were very good to me, and were 100% friendly. I keep in contact with many of them to this day, and although I lost the election, I gained a lot more out of it.

The Class Rep Trip is amazing and anybody who gets an invite must go. Its compulsive attendance

Now I sit with the cynics (when I can find any).
    We're the ones who laugh when no-one's made a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

No matter what club/society/union people talk about, they all seem cliquey to someone not involved. I'm involved with the union, so I don't think it's that cliquey at all, whereas I see the likes of L&H, B&L, LawSoc or DramSoc as being very much cliquey. However, I've learned by now that if I actually took the time to get involved with any of them, I'm sure they would be very accommodating to a new member.

Basically, as has been said, you get out of any college organisation what you put in to it. If you're interested in being an active member in any society, go along, give a hand, talk to a few people. The vast majority of times they're not going to ignore or dismiss you just because you're new.

The one added benefit about the union regarding breakng down the barriers for new members, in my opinion, is that you get a broader cross section of personalities, so you are quite likely to find a few people you click (pun-age!) with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Im running for Class rep in 2nd Politcs and Mathemathical science.

Advertisement