Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking IP, ISP of others

Options
  • 23-09-2007 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Ok so I have a question for all you who are brainy/know lots bout computers.....I was on a site recently which had a section showing my IP etc.

Was just wondering is there some free software i could download to monitor peoples IP's accessing my computer? say if i'm on MSN I could tell my friend What IP, ISP they're using??

If such software exists, is it legal to do what i want to do? I personally don't think I will have a problem seems how websites can do so.

Thanks,
    Dan.
    Oh, ps. Mod if this is a problem please don't ban me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Netstat will show you connections , go START--->RUN---> type in cmd and then when the cmd box opens go netstat -o . Do a bit of googling for more options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

bushy... wrote:
    Netstat will show you connections , go START--->RUN---> type in cmd and then when the cmd box opens go netstat -o . Do a bit of googling for more options
    Thanks, But will it show other peoples connections?? i got a big list there. Is there a command for help for netstat so i can learn what it all means?
    thanks again,
    Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

congo_90 wrote:
    Is there a command for help for netstat so i can learn what it all means?

Typing netstat/? will give you the available options and a description of what each of them means.

thanks. Still, can I use this to check the Ip's of computers my friends may be Instant messaging me off? or is that getting into complicated stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

congo_90 wrote:
    thanks. Still, can I use this to check the Ip's of computers my friends may be Instant messaging me off? or is that getting into complicated stuff?

Most IM stuff will be sent via a central server array, so you usually won't see their actual IP.

• Advertisement

Most IM stuff will be sent via a central server array, so you usually won't see their actual IP.
    ah rite thanks!

Advertisement