Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to be converted!!

• 23-09-2007 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

mate of mine is trying to convert me.

naturally he is trying to prove god exists to me.
    anyone have some hard evidence i can just throw in his face.

bascily he says that the universe has to have began at one point and god made it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just say 'fair enough, I can't argue with that' to every point he makes, but refuse to change your mind.. wreck his head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

bascily he says that the universe has to have began at one point and god made it.

- He says the universe has to have a starting point.
    - Which means he cannot accept that something can exist forever or can exist for no reason.
    - He then claims God has either existed forever or exists for no reason.
    - Therefore, by his own argument, he can't believe in God.
    - If he then changes his mind and says that God has existed forever, point out that the universe itself could be the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

Every year in work somebody decides to convert me. Usually it involves talking about the bible at lunch and when we're alone in the office. Now this I don't mind, because I understand they're trying to do me a favour in their mind. My usual way of dealing with it is saying that although I think Jesus had a good message for his time e.t.c., there isn't any reason for me personally to think he was divine and I probably will not change my mind.
    Just say something polite like this to your friend and say you're not interested.

However occasionally you'll get people who won't stop even when you ask them. With them I'd just stop responding when the issues comes up. They'll get bored eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ask them if the universe was created by god, who created god? Always love their answer to that, as when you remind them that by the logic that the universe couldn't have been there forever, that it was created by god at some point, who made god?

Finally, throw in the total lack of information in the bible about dinosaurs.

Oh, and Son Goku, where/what do you work as? Does your industry appeal to these god people, or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the bible does mention giant lizards...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

the_syco wrote:
    Oh, and Son Goku, where/what do you work as? Does your industry appeal to these god people, or something?
    I'm a theoretical physicist now, I should have said somebody used to try and convert me. Those are my experiences from my undergraduate days and it was in a branch of the Health Service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Son Goku wrote:
    Every year in work somebody decides to convert me. Usually it involves talking about the bible at lunch and when we're alone in the office. Now this I don't mind, because I understand they're trying to do me a favour in their mind. My usual way of dealing with it is saying that although I think Jesus had a good message for his time e.t.c., there isn't any reason for me personally to think he was divine and I probably will not change my mind.
    Just say something polite like this to your friend and say you're not interested.

However occasionally you'll get people who won't stop even when you ask them. With them I'd just stop responding when the issues comes up. They'll get bored eventually.
    Sounds like a crazy place where you work. I thought you were doing a PhD?

Where I work about 5+ people have read the God Delusion. However, people don't speak openly about their beliefs. It's too awkard.

Back to OP, the hardest thing intelligent believers find to accept is the problem of evil. Why is there so much evil? hardship, pain in the world? Some of them, rebutt it with the free will argument, which has to be worst philosophical argument of all time but some of them (usually the really deluded) think it's a good argument. The more intelligent ones admit the limitations of human knowledge etc.

I think it really depends on your mate. It really depends on how deluded he is and what type of personality he has. Does he read a lot? If he's the PDN type, you could have a lot of interesing conversations. If he's doesn't read but is quite dogmatic about his views, I would seriously think about your approach.

Personally, first I would move slilghtly away from the Big G question and ask him what he thinks / knows about evolution.
    If he can't accept / understand evolution theory, you need to seriously think about your approach. You need to be well informed about evolution theory, know all the straw man counter arguments and why they are so.

I wouldn't progress a debate with any God beliefer who cannot understand / accept evolution.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Well you can only be impressed by how he choose to start but the possible finales are a bit crap

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

How do any of your friends arguments disprove the existence of any god(s) in favour of his particular God?

Tell him you've seen the light and are now worshiping Zeus.

Did anyone else notice that the grammar of the title of the thread refers to one who is trying to get themselves converted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Zillah wrote:
    Did anyone else notice that the grammar of the title of the thread refers to one who is trying to get themselves converted?

I gave up worrying about the spelling and grammar on these boards a long time ago (except when someone who can't spell starts making snide remarks about others lacking intelligence). A lot of posts seem to be written in pidgin English, so I just do my best to translate them as I do when Scofflaw slips into French or Latin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Zillah wrote:
    Yes.
    PDN wrote:
    I gave up worrying about the spelling and grammar on these boards a long time ago (except when someone who can't spell starts making snide remarks about others lacking intelligence). A lot of posts seem to be written in pidgin English, so I just do my best to translate them as I do when Scofflaw slips into French or Latin.

lol :p

Sounds like a crazy place where you work. I thought you were doing a PhD?

Where I work about 5+ people have read the God Delusion. However, people don't speak openly about their beliefs. It's too awkard.

Back to OP, the hardest thing intelligent believers find to accept is the problem of evil. Why is there so much evil? hardship, pain in the world? Some of them, rebutt it with the free will argument, which has to be worst philosophical argument of all time but some of them (usually the really deluded) think it's a good argument. The more intelligent ones admit the limitations of human knowledge etc.

I think it really depends on your mate. It really depends on how deluded he is and what type of personality he has. Does he read a lot? If he's the PDN type, you could have a lot of interesing conversations. If he's doesn't read but is quite dogmatic about his views, I would seriously think about your approach.

Personally, first I would move slilghtly away from the Big G question and ask him what he thinks / knows about evolution.
    If he can't accept / understand evolution theory, you need to seriously think about your approach. You need to be well informed about evolution theory, know all the straw man counter arguments and why they are so.

I wouldn't progress a debate with any God beliefer who cannot understand / accept evolution.
    Let us know how you get on.

What?
    I'm sick and tired of anyone trying to preach by bringing evolution into it, let's not start with atheists using it it...

bluewolf wrote:
    What?
    I'm sick and tired of anyone trying to preach by bringing evolution into it, let's not start with atheists using it it...
    Can you elaborate?

Evolution theory casts serious doubt on literal Biblical interpretation and puts the theist in the position of having to experiencing doubt.
    If they do not go through this process, it is evidence they are seriously deluded.

Therefore, by discussing evolution theory one can quickly know what type of theist one is dealing with:
    1. A well informed theist (could be an interesting conversation).
    2. A deluded or ignorant one (wouldn't waste my time having an intellectual conversation, unless they are sound and are willing to learn it).

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

well evolution was my first defence. he said god did it, gave them eyes, how else would animals have eyes.

and that god created the first life. that it couldnt start on its own.

he kind of mixed evolution into his belief.

will take note of what Zillah said first.

i got a d3 in my jc english. that should explain the title.
    should have said "someone is trying to convert me"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well you can explain the eye's evolution quite well without the need for God.
    I would recommend you have a read of the Blind Watchmaker by Dawkins.
    It does a great job of debunking the argument from design.

Here's the cheesy 1980's video:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2043771442443928848

well evolution was my first defence. he said god did it, gave them eyes, how else would animals have eyes.

and that god created the first life. that it couldnt start on its own.

he kind of mixed evolution into his belief.

will take note of what Zillah said first.

i got a d3 in my jc english. that should explain the title.
    should have said "someone is trying to convert me"
    Is he a good friend?
    Ask him how god started on his own?

There is no need for a magic wand anywhere in evolution theory. Complexity derives from simplicty. This mean complicated organs and body parts such as eyes, ears, kidneys can evolve over a very long period time. There is no body part that cannot have evolved from something simpler.

The evidence is completly consistent with evolution theory. One billion fossils and an infinite amount of DNA analysis.

I wouldn't go anywhere with him until you have clarified evolution theory.

PS
    Remember to be a bit sensitive about all this. People believe in God because they cannot deal with a life that there is no God. Fear of death, death of a loved one and many other reasons make people forget the simple fact there is absolutely no evidence for any God.

how else would animals have eyes.

Evolution :D

Really. Thats the cool thing about evolution. It doesn't need any sort of guiding hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

mate of mine is trying to convert me.

naturally he is trying to prove god exists to me.
    anyone have some hard evidence i can just throw in his face.
    No. However I do have "if you don't have the good manners not to proselytise why should I have the good manners not to tell you to **** off".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Zillah wrote:
    Evolution :D

Really. Thats the cool thing about evolution. It doesn't need any sort of guiding hand.

Your understanding of Christianity is very narrow if you think that evolution is a stumbling block to all Christians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Zillah wrote:

Aye, was expecting someone trying to become an athiest but wasn't quite sure.

OP, there's no point looking for arguments, just tell your mate why you don't believe Christianity

Your understanding of Christianity is very narrow if you think that evolution is a stumbling block to all Christians.
    I don't think it's stumbling block to all Christians.
    I think it separates the crazy fundamentalists from the more reasonable ones that might be worth having a conversation with.

A Christian who accepts evolution has obviously moved beyond the absolute inerrancy of scripture and has a more mature faith.
    A Christian who understands evolution obviously has an understanding of Science and again would perhaps have deeper, maturer faith.
    A Christian who investigates evolutions obviously has the depth of character to question and investigate their own world view.

Unfortunaley,the Christians I usually end up in discussion usually don't know much about evolution theory or don't care. They say things like: "It could have been evolution. It could have been Adam and Eve. I don't know and I don't care".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Did he claim it was? :rolleyes:

The OP's friend said eyes require God. How else could they be here? Zillah is pointing out that the eye, nor even life itself, doesn't need God.

Evolution works perfectly fine without God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

wicknight wrote:
    Evolution works perfectly fine without God.
    Therein is the problem a lot of Christians / Jews / Muslims have with evolution. It denies the existance of God. But evolution (dare I say it) like God, cannot be proved. Evolution is a theory, and all theories need experementation and observation to be proved, and the time frame for evolution is so large that it becomes selfserving.

As for the existance (or lack of) for God. Its the same as trying to prove to someone that love exists if they have never experienced it themselves. Would you think there is no love if it cant be proved to you?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Therein is the problem a lot of Christians / Jews / Muslims have with evolution. It denies the existance of God. But evolution (dare I say it) like God, cannot be proved. Evolution is a theory, and all theories need experementation and observation to be proved, and the time frame for evolution is so large that it becomes selfserving.

As for the existance (or lack of) for God. Its the same as trying to prove to someone that love exists if they have never experienced it themselves. Would you think there is no love if it cant be proved to you?

Is the pentadactyl limb and the shared foetus not considered proof of evolution?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Were you watching "Contact" last week? ;)

Evolution does not deny the existence of God, it does not necessitate it.
    It's the same with the theory of Gravity.
    You are correct evolution can't be proved. But it's the same with gravity. If someone has a problem with evolution, they should also have a problem with getting into a airplane and flying in the sky.

You are wrong, theories in Science can never be proved.

As for the God / Love analogy well you cuold also apply that to Ghousts. How do you proof to someone Ghousts exists if they have never experience them themselves?
    It's a typical meaningless C.S. Lewis style argument. Sounds reasonable but when you examine it, it falls apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

A Christian who accepts evolution has obviously moved beyond the absolute inerrancy of scripture and has a more mature faith.

Actually, no. I don't want to sidetrack this interesting discussion, but in the interests of accuracy I should point out that inerrancy involves belief that the Scripture is without error, but does recognise that different literary forms exist (poetry, figures of speech, metaphors etc.) To use an obvious example, when Jesus says "I am the true vine" (John 15:1) the inerrantist does not believe that Jesus metamorphosed into a tree!

Therefore there are a large number of Christians who accept evolution but are still 'immature' enough to believe in the inerrancy of scripture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

SDooM wrote:
    Is the pentadactyl limb and the shared foetus not considered proof of evolution?
    No.
    No right minded scientist has believed for decades that the 'progress' of the foetus through its stages has its basis in evolutionary leaps.

As for redundant limbs / tails / earlobes etc. They all still have functions.

I see evolution and God-created-universe as being remarkebly simular. In the beginning there was nothing, then all of a sudden... BANG! There was everything, and its just been reforming since then. The major difference between the two is one was started by God and the other by some unknown science. The other difference is the time frame.

But evolution is a different debate. Lots of people believe in it and God. And lots dont believe in one or the other. The OPs Q was what can I say to prove them wrong / put them off / stop them in their tracks? Well, imho, nothing. They believe in God as strongly as you do not. Just tell them you dont want to discuss it. If they are fair minded (ie not zealots) then that will be enough.

Contact? good film...... but i think that someone can believe in God and Science at the same time. Afterall, not everything has been explained yet, and many scientists believe in God because of the complexity and depth of their research / discoveries just lead to more wonders and perfect intricacies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

No.
    a) No right minded scientist has believed for decades that the 'progress' of the foetus through its stages has its basis in evolutionary leaps.

As for redundant limbs / tails / earlobes etc. They all still have functions.

Not being smart dude but
    a) is being taught right now in colleges across Ireland, and has nothing to do with any stage except the first few weeks and

b) you clearly don't understand the pentadactyl limb theory, its nothing to do with vestigial limbs, its to do with the shared bone structure in limbs between all animals.

I genuinely would like an answer for this... will start a new thread.

Advertisement