Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving a car back from UK questions

Options
  • 23-09-2007 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Im driving a car back from london to Dublin next week, its a Volkswagon Passat with some engine issues (my Dad bought it from ebay and wants me to bring it back from the london where im currently living).

Ive driven the car the last few days and there doesnt seem to be anythign wrong with it, but apparently it just cuts out soemtimes and cant be restarted for a while.

Now the question: I have the basic AA road cover, but it doesn't cover the car being towed to Holyhead if I break down, just the nearest VW garage. My qustion is, wtf do i do if it breaks down? Is there a company i could call to tow it to Holyhead and how much would it cost? Or could i upgrade my AA memebership on the spot so I will get the tow to Holyhead?

And while were on the subject, whats the quickest and handiest route from London to Holyhead? I heard taking the Birmingham toll road is a good idea, does it make that much difference? How much does it cost?

And how long shoud it take me to get from the Northside of the M25 to Holyhead on a Wednesday to catch the Ferry at 5?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Hmmm... As regards time, I can't remember but give it plenty as there's likely to be heavy traffic coming up to 5. Try the AA routefinder for a rough idea, then add on an hour or two to allow for traffic and breakdowns. Toll road is a good idea though, the ring road around Birmingham is mental during rush hour, and a fair bit either side. I don't think there's much you can do to arrange breakdown cover like that. Maybe ring your insurer and see what they offer, but booking someone when you're 200 miles away from them is gonna work out costly. You might be lucky if you do break down and get towed to a garage - the garage might have a flatbed and take you the rest of the way for a fee. Good luck getting it on the boat if it's dead though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The toll will cost you £6, but it is money well spent.

I would suggest you upgrade yuor AA cover before you leave. The cost of the upgrade will be a fraction of towing costs.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Hmmm... As regards time, I can't remember but give it plenty as there's likely to be heavy traffic coming up to 5. Try the AA routefinder for a rough idea, then add on an hour or two to allow for traffic and breakdowns. Toll road is a good idea though, the ring road around Birmingham is mental during rush hour, and a fair bit either side. I don't think there's much you can do to arrange breakdown cover like that. Maybe ring your insurer and see what they offer, but booking someone when you're 200 miles away from them is gonna work out costly. You might be lucky if you do break down and get towed to a garage - the garage might have a flatbed and take you the rest of the way for a fee. Good luck getting it on the boat if it's dead though!

I hope to miss most of the traffic, thats why i m getting the 5 o clock ferry, if i leave after the morning rush and should be well into Wales before the 5 o clock rush starts.

Will it be worth paying the £6 for the toll, when relaistically I should be up there around lunchtime and therefore traffic shouldnt be to bad?

I like the drive to be as handy as possible, just motorway as far as possible.

Routeplanner is saying 5hrs 9mins, so if I leave around 10ish it should leave plenty of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

what level of AA cover will tow a car to anywhere you want? as far as i know, they'll only cover you for a local tow. And as well as that, if they find out you knew about a pre-existing problem with the car, and decided to drive it anyway, and then get stranded, they aren't obliged to tow you as its outside the policy. good luck.
    don't forget to register and pay your VRT by 5pm on the next working day after importing that car :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

what level of AA cover will tow a car to anywhere you want? as far as i know, they'll only cover you for a local tow. And as well as that, if they find out you knew about a pre-existing problem with the car, and decided to drive it anyway, and then get stranded, they aren't obliged to tow you as its outside the policy. good luck.

don't forget to register and pay your VRT by 5pm on the next working day after importing that car :D

:D

AA relay cover will bring u to any UK destination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

fair enuf. and how much extra is that? i haven't heard of it. by UK do you mean UK and Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

AA relay cover will bring u to any UK destination
    Thought that only applied to the passengers & the car still goes to the nearest approved garage.

Advertisement