Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wasn't going to report this but thread is closed..

Options
  • 23-09-2007 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Regarding the thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54069320&postcount=224

I initially was attempting to respond to this post rather than report it, but the thread was closed before I hit post. Even at that, I'm tempted not to, but I think I've been given the wrong end of the stick here, having been specifically cited as the reason for the closure of the thread due to personal abuse. I believe I've defended myself against personal abuse, sometimes with the same degree of sarcasm, but haven't resorted to "attacking the poster instead of the post".

During the thread, I believe the above post tells me to "get my head out of my arse", and If it hadn't come from a Mod, I'd ignore it as regular forum background noise. Having reported it, I was advised by Terry himself to take it to feedback or here, and since I'm only interested in admin or smod thoughts, I'm posting here. On a secondary note, I'm disturbed to find that reporting a mod's post results in the same mod responding, but that's probably just a technical issue.

I believe on this thread I'm promoting an unpopular (but truthful) point of view, and any personal abuse on the thread was directed at me (in this case by a mod of the very forum no less) rather than by me. I'm including my original, unedited attempt to respond to this post in order to prove I'm not trolling the thread, or being malicious towards other posters or the mod in question.
    Terry wrote:
    Slutmonkey, you are just being pedantic now.
    I want to see proof of this rampant hatred towards British people.

Walk into a pub during a football match wearing an England jersey and ask for an English national match to be put on the TV and see what happens. I'm not saying everyone will try and beat you to death. But you should get more than enough evidence.
    As for your continuing denial of the famine in Ireland (It was a famine. Like it or not), I think if you look at Ethiopia you will find that crop failure was not the only cause of the famine there.

Do you want me to state that there was no food in the country to feed the people? You are still accusing me of denying that people starved to death. I'm not. I'm also not defending the actions of the british at the time. I'm stating that the deaths of those people was not due to the country not producing food to put in their bellies. It was due to altogether worse, and more controllable reasons.
    Something which happened 160 years ago is no less relevant today as it was back then.

On the contrary! If you assume that every act in history has the same significance it always did, no matter the amount of time passed, then why aren't we still having wars over which bunch of hunter-gatherers has rights to the geese down at the nearest river? At some point the past becomes the past or the present becomes a waste of time.
    Short of kissing the arse of every British person alive today, I do not know what you want from us.

I will not be an apologist for the actions of my fellow countrymen in their struggle to free this country from brutal oppression in the 1800's / early 1900's.
    They did what they had to do to rid this country of a scourge.
    Are we to apologise for their actions?
    Are we to apologise for the actions of the British?
    Are we to apologise for anything?

No, we are not.

They did what they had to do to rid this country of a scourge eh? So why didn't Daniel O'Connell support violent uprising? Was he a traitor?
    There's an argument that the English had a choice: Become a powerful nation, or be exterminated by superior numbers in a religious war. That's not my argument, but it's a valid historical argument that does nothing to excuse the faults of colonialism.

If nobody has anything to apologise for, why do you expect the English to do it? Are they uniquely to blame for their crimes? Does nobody else in the entire course of history have anything to apologise for? Your point above clearly illustrates what I've been saying:

The commonplace view of history here (particularly Irish history) is simplistic, and painted in "them's the bad guys, us's the good guys" terms, no matter what the situation.
    Get your head out of your arse there buddy.

I'm tempted to report that to an admin.
    If you find me some (apart from the dumbass celtic top squad) then send them my way. Until then, I suggest you open your eyes and realise that the British were a brutal oppressive regime and were quite rightly hated back then.

Point me to where I said they weren't. I'm getting tired of being accused in this thread of things I not only haven't said, but have actively stated the opposite of. I'd expect a mod who's supposed to be monitering the thread to have a better handle on my posts vs. what somebody wants to think I've posted, and that's not an attack on you personally, but a reflection on the standards of moderation I'd expect on boards as a whole.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I had a quick scan.

Can I sum up your complaint in one line?

You're annoyed that Terry told you to "Get your head out of your arse"?

[Edit:
    Also,
    On a secondary note, I'm disturbed to find that reporting a mod's post results in the same mod responding, but that's probably just a technical issue.
    Yeah, tis a technical issue. Not really much you can do about. I think most of us Smods will give a quick scan of the reports anyway and you have the co-mods in place who will also see the reports. Ultimately if you fear that reporting a post will give you hassle, you have the option to bypass that and post here or PM one of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

seamus wrote:
    I had a quick scan.

Can I sum up your complaint in one line?

You're annoyed that Terry told you to "Get your head out of your arse"?

Partially. Like I said, I initially was going to ignore the comment, as it's hardly the end of the world. I have more of an issue with being cited as the reason the thread was closed for personal abuse, when the mod himself is making more abusive comments toward me than I was to other posters. Had it just been "get your head out of your arse" I'd have left it alone.

Advertisement