Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Radio 4 having a laff..???

• 24-09-2007 8:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭

A year or so ago, early on a sunday morning I was delighted to find myself laffing my head off at the weather forcast on BBC Radio 4. During the usual dull but accurate forcast the reader slipped in, with no change of tone, "...and in the north east, thunder and lightening, very very frightening..."

And yesterday morning on the anouncement of Marcel Marceau's death, the reader added "...words will fail many"

Has anyone else ever heard any of these little quips being slipped in or noticed any others? Is it worth getting up early on a sunday to catch them?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

No, but about 6 to 8 months ago, yer man Gerry Murphy was doing the radio 1 weather report, I think at 3pm or 4pm. He was only new at the time, imho, and he made a complete hash of it. Reading his script, he seemed to get his words in the wrong order, and the emphasis was on words was all over the place. Just as the sound was fading....you could hear him mutter "****". Ha, it was hilarious.

btw what's the mw/lw wavelengths to get R4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

198 LW comes in loud and clear in Dublin

Its also relayed on NTL analogue and digital.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

198 lw is available virtually anywhere in the country, but beware, between April and September you are likely to be subjected to day long (sometimes days long, day long) cricket. FM and MW are really only reliable in Border areas or on some parts of the East coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Test Match Special FTW!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

sudzs wrote:
    Has anyone else ever heard any of these little quips being slipped in or noticed any others? Is it worth getting up early on a sunday to catch them?!
    Yes, but I normally listen in bed and I'm half-asleep, thinking, "Did I really hear that?"

BTW I can get BBC R4 loud and clear on FM in my car anywhere north of Ashbourne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

Yes, but I normally listen in bed and I'm half-asleep, thinking, "Did I really hear that?"

BTW I can get BBC R4 loud and clear on FM in my car anywhere north of Ashbourne.

Phew!!! Thought I was imagining it!

Advertisement