Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend a car (€25k-€40k)

Options
  • 24-09-2007 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend is looking at getting a new car. She has a budget of between 25k and 40k. She prefers style over performance.

At the moment her favourite is the Audi TT. She is also considering an older Porsche Boxster, a BMW Z4 and a Mercedes SLK200.

Her preference is for an automatic and a convertible. Any recommendations on the cars above, or any other cars which should be added to the list?

Thanks,
    Randomer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mazda rx8, nissan 350z??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I am a fan of the RX8. Will definitely get her to test drive one.

Not a big fan of the 350z, especially with the high tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭sk8board

I'd pick a convertible Merc CLK if its style over performance that she's after. v.good value for money in 2nd hand market.

The SLK is dated, unless she can find the newer model for €40k, but i doubt it.

Of course theres always the Boxter, and the 2.7 would be fine for performance, no need for the 3.2.

Also in the style over performance cabriolet's bracket: the A4, Saab 9-3.

best of both worlds: honda S2000, Mazda mx5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

randomer wrote:
    I am a fan of the RX8. Will definitely get her to test drive one.

Not a big fan of the 350z, especially with the high tax.

I can't understand why someone would rule out cars in the high tax bracket with a budget up to 40k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

boxster boxster boxster - widely regarded as a fine handling car should be fast enough, reliable, cool convertible and you own a Porsche - what else could you ask for ?

She'll have plenty of chances to own a Honda or Mazda or even a Merc or Beemer - get the Porsche before her body clock gets so loud you can't hear the engine note of the diesel people carrier she'll be hounding you for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

S2000 is dated looking now, 350Z aren't suppose to be great, Z4 is lovely but seriously.... if you really really want to have fun... buy a lotus exige or elise! - in the uk of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

if it were my choice, it would be between a Boxster 3.2S and a Lotus Elise S2 111R, you only live once, get either one before she wants a People carrier!! :D

RobAMerc wrote:
    She'll have plenty of chances to own a Honda or Mazda or even a Merc or Beemer - get the Porsche before her body clock gets so loud you can't hear the engine note of the diesel people carrier she'll be hounding you for.
    lgh%20(20).gif

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Boxster! Even the entry level 2.5 with a tiptronic (auto) box has more than enough performance even for someone who doesn't have performance high on their priority list :)

Keep it in good condition and depreciation is very low too. That's a nice plus

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How about a Pagoda? Or is that too old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

GB15 wrote:
    I can't understand why someone would rule out cars in the high tax bracket with a budget up to 40k.

Totally agree though i cant understand why people spend more than 10k on a car when they dont care about performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Anan1 wrote:
    How about a Pagoda? Or is that too old?

this is a brilliant suggestion, can you imagine how sexy a girl driving a classic like this would look? wow

Unfortunately most girls will look at the plate and scoff at the fact its not a 07 and thats about it - so she might be worried about what her friends will think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

For someone who wants style over performance, then an Elise or Exige is a poor suggestion. They're for a dedicated sort of owner. I would even put her off the RX8 as by the sounds of it she's not a petrol head, and thus will neglect to check her RX8 for oil every 2nd fill and probably won't be interested in bringing it up to operating temp every trip also.
    The S2000 is really best enjoyed by a performance enthusiast also. Boxter S is a waste of at least 10 grand over a normal 2.5 (or newer 2.7) version for someone who isn't interested in the performance gains.
    So get either the merc, the TT or the boxter. (You'll enjoy borrowing the Boxter off her the most though!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

randomer wrote:
    My girlfriend is looking at getting a new car. She has a budget of between 25k and 40k. She prefers style over performance.

At the moment her favourite is the Audi TT. She is also considering an older Porsche Boxster, a BMW Z4 and a Mercedes SLK200.

Her preference is for an automatic and a convertible. Any recommendations on the cars above, or any other cars which should be added to the list?

Thanks,
    Randomer

Automatic, convertible TT ? good luck finding one.......auto's in TT very rare. I should know, I'm still looking for one -albeit a coupe.

RX8 fab - looked at one on Saturday, but the mpg is horrendous - 19mpg - and you'll get clobbered by the car tax when it goes to emissions based - 267g/km. :eek:
    Boxster nice, but as a guy once told me, if you buy a Porsche, keep 5k under the bed for emergencies........the TT is a nicer cabin, tbh. The Boxster also has an issue with the rear plastic window needing relatively frequent replacing. This is not a cheap job.
    MX5, I looked at one (beside the RX) on Saturday - 32k gets you a new one, and 34.5k gets one with electric folding hardtop. That's not bad, and it's an excellent car.
    Z4 - well, imho it's just ugly, and nothing can redeem it..........
    CLK's are cheap, won't go too far wrong there...........not expensive to run, either......

Of the above, a new MX5 would be hard to beat........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭986s

Hi there!

Am selling my 2001 Boxster S at the moment and its based in Galway. You or your girlfriend are welcome to have a look and testdrive and then see if any of the other cars compare.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=706308

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

galwaytt wrote:
    Of the above, a new MX5 would be hard to beat........
    Now you're talking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Biro wrote:
    For someone who wants style over performance, then an Elise or Exige is a poor suggestion.
    are you crazy..... they're an amazing car! they look fantastic and handle better than any other car around!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

steve06 wrote:
    are you crazy..... they're an amazing car! they look fantastic and handle better than any other car around!

noone said any different (i'd have jumped on them :mad: )

but they are not for the non-enthusiast - its pretty much a road legal track car, few creature comforts in it...

sounds to me that the marque is gonna decide it (:( ), so I'll just recommend the merc

if the budget can stretch

Advertisement