Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secondary Science teachers -demand??

• 24-09-2007 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I have been working in the pharmaceutical industry for 6 yrs and am now thinking of going back to do secondary teaching. However i have been trying to find out if there is any demand for science teachers as if i cant get a job after i would be v. bummed. Does anyone know the demand for science teachers? Also how hard is it to get accepted into the H.Dip without any classroom experience. I have a BSc and a Masters so i should be ok on points but not sure if no class room experience would go against me....but none of this matters if there are no jobs!! Could anyone advise me on the current job situation. Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

girl in my place doing subbing as can't find a job so answer is no

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seem to be quite a few Science teachers about - Woodwork or Home Economics teachers are like hen's teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

from my experience (i'm a science teacher) there aren't many full time/contract jobs about, but i know in my school we have difficulty getting substitute science teachers esp. in physics and chemistry. you would probably be better off in chemistry than biology anyway.

as for experience when applying for the h. dip, a large number of people applying are just graduates straight out of college who have no experience of teaching so i couldn't see that going against you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Just checked todays paper...Irish teachers as always still in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dictionary

Thanks all, God thats depressing so eveni f i get in the prospects of no jobs available is a reality, Is it worth giving up a full time job for some substitute teaching here and there! Next plan...win the lotto!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Hi Dictionary,
    I run a sub teaching agency and at the moment there are a few Science jobs but mostly only short term subbing. Biology and Chemistry are good.

As for other teaching jobs, Irish teachers can walk into a job now as can French teachers. Almost guaranteed for a year at least.

Thats the trend so far since Sept. November will be busier as it comes up to mid term but there are jobs out there and if you have a h-dip or experience it is much easier to get.

Good luck with your decision
    Martin

Advertisement