Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phoenix Park Hills - How severe are they?

• 24-09-2007 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I just did the half marathon Saturday in the Phoenix Park and looking back I am curious to know just how bad the incline/hills are in the park. I think they start maybe a mile or two after turning off Chesterfield Avenue.

They absolutely crucified me yesterday :( Really knocked me back. I put the head down and got through in 1:47 but got sick as soon as I crossed the line :D Wonder if the photographer got me :p

Are there such sustained climbs in the marathon route? Looking at the elevation map, the climbs don't seem too bad, but just how do they compare to what I felt I hit yesterday?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

There's a few gradual climbs, nothing too serious though. For example, running up Chesterfield Avenue...but some runners would dismiss this as a climb.

There's 2 sharp climbs I can remember, one just after leaving the Phoenix park, somewhere on the 9th mile, the other during the 21st mile (I think). They're both short, fairly steep but nothing to fear. Overall the marathon course is very flat.

As for how bad the hills in the Park are....not that bad at all really but I don't think there are any climbs like those in the full marathon route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tullachBuí

Yeah, I wouldn't have thought of the chesterfield one as a climb.

I'm glad to hear that there isn't anything really similar in the full marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭billyhead

I thought the hills weren't steep at all. You should try and incorporate hill training as part of your training routine. It will help to make you stronger, faster and, fitter overall

Advertisement