Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jol tells Tottenham: I'm leaving White Hart Lane - Daily Mail

Options
  • 24-09-2007 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

From The Daily Mail
    Jol tells Tottenham: I'm leaving White Hart Lane
    Mourinho speculation the final straw for Tottenham boss

Last updated at 09:40am on 24th September 2007

Tottenham are expected to hold a crisis board meeting today after manager Martin Jol told them he is ready to leave White Hart Lane.

Jol is believed to have had enough of other managers being linked with his job after Spurs chairman Daniel Levy made a bid to get former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho last week, reportedly calling his agent Jorge Mendes five times.

Mourinho couldn't take up the offer because of the terms in his compensation agreement with Chelsea, although it is understood he didn't want the position in the first place.

It came just a month after club officials met with Sevilla coach Juande Ramos in Spain following the club's disappointing start to the season.

But the chase for Ramos is as strong as ever with sporting director Damien Comolli spotted in Barcelona on Saturday night watching their 2-1 win over Sevilla in the Nou Camp.

A club insider has revealed that Jol wants to go, but is determined not to resign and miss out on the £4million in compensation that he would be owed according to his contract.

The board have lost faith in the Dutchman, but are unsure whether to sack him now, give into his pay-off demands and install a caretaker manager for the rest of the season.

Ramos is still the No1 target following their failure to get Mourinho, but he has informed them he won't come until next summer.

The board want to discuss who they could put in place to manage the team until Ramos arrives if they get rid of Jol now. There are very few options available to them, particularly with the candidate knowing he would not get the position on a permanent basis.

But they may decide at today's meeting that enough is enough, particularly following another unconvincing Spurs performance in the 1-1 draw at Bolton yesterday.

Tottenham are still in the bottom three, having won just once in their first seven games and lost the chance of a vital three points with another goal conceded from a set piece after Robbie Keane had put them in front.

But Jol still insists publicly that he has the backing of Levy after being asked about the Mourinho reports.

He said: "Daniel Levy called me to tell me that it's all rubbish and that he wants me here next year.

"He's always good to me and has always backed me."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

That story looks like it was made up 5 minutes before the journos deadline. The only quoted source they have belies the main thrust of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

The sooner he leaves the better in my opinion.
    I think he is taking the mick now with his team selections or is it to be sacked to get a pay out.
    If we need a temporary manager Clive Allen could not possibly do a worse job than Tony Soprano.
    In fact Tony what he's doing!!

The sooner he leaves the better in my opinion.
    I think he is taking the mick now with his team selections or is it to be sacked to get a pay out.
    If we need a temporary manager Clive Allen could not possibly do a worse job than Tony Soprano.
    In fact ask Tony what he's doing now that the series is over!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

:mad:
    galinka wrote:
    I think he is taking the mick now with his team selections!

I am still not sure how good sacking him would be now - especially with nobody around to take the job full time - I think we all know that caretaker managers never work and do more harm than good in the long run. I have to agree, the team selection on Sunday was a travesty, I just can't believe he keeps starting Keane, and to leave Defoe out of the team altogether was a crime and another slap in the face to poor Defoe. No start for Lennon, Kabul not even on the team sheet, no Bale, what a joke. Someone from the Board needs to tell Jol this has to stop, and NOW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Can't imagine Clive Allen would do worse.

Just make sure Jol takes Hughton and his clipboard with him.

If the board had any balls they'd phone Capello and say name your price, I can't understand the obsession with Ramos (sacrificed the league last year for the Wafer..bit like Jol wanted to do at Chelsea in the FA Cup, 10 clubs in 14 years) when there's better available and out of work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Talk Sport are reporting that they have heard from Tottenham (mr levy) And he has said "jol is training with the players today and there are no plans or have been no meetings in regards to his position at spurs"

From FTL

Can't imagine Clive Allen would do worse.

Just make sure Jol takes Hughton and his clipboard with him.

If the board had any balls they'd phone Capello and say name your price,

Agree on Hughton too - still think it's Sudoku book he is doing at the match every week!

Capello apparently is looking for too much money!!

BTW Kaboul was injured yesterday and not available!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dantes74

if levy has so little faith in jol why the hell did he give him so much money to spend during the summer (more to the point why did he let him waste 16 million on bent)
    i honestly thought he should have been sacked midway through last season after a run of terrible results because of some horrendous team selections and daft substitutions especially the chelsea cup game where we were 3-1 up before he took off our best player berbatov only to see the game slip away from us

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

He didn't give Jol any money to spend, Damien Comolli holds the purse strings at Spurs...Jol may have requested certain players but you can be sure that DC didn't sign a single player he did not rate.

The theory is that Jol can be replaced at any time and another head coach can take his place, working with the players that DC has provided for the first team squad. What instructions DC works under I don't know, I imagine he is told to ensure player purchases are aimed towards resale value (so that ENIC can protect their investment) as much as ability. Not the way I'd choose to run the club, but then I don't have the money to help jog Levy and co on...:(

Advertisement