Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fringe Award Winners

Options
  • 24-09-2007 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Official mail I received today:

The Winners of the 2007 Fringe Awards are:

Spirit of the Fringe Commissioning Award [€4,000]
    Presented in association with Project Arts Centre
    Presented in association with Project Arts Centre to the company that best embodies the Spirit of the Fringe - fresh, brave and exciting. The prize is a €4000 commissioning grant for a new show to be produced for the Dublin Fringe Festival 2008 in Project Cube. Usually presented to an Irish company.
    Winner:
    Heart of Darkness, Gavin Kostick
    Other Nominees:
    Caliper Boy, dANTE or dIE
    Dublin City Counselling, Gentle Giant Theatre Company
    Simple Girl, Melanie Wilson

Jayne Snow Award [€1,500]
    Presented to the individual or group in this year's Festival who best exhibits the qualities of innovation, bravery and risk taking in the pursuit of artistic excellence. This award is dedicated to the memory of actress Jayne Snow.
    Winner:
    Rain Party, junk ensemble
    Other Nominees
    Kuddlemuddle, Priscilla Robinson
    Beauty, written by Shawn Sturnick and directed by Thomas Conway
    DISCO-NNECT

Best Production - €750
    Presented to the show or event that displays excellence in every area of production.
    Winner:
    Particularly in the Heartland, The TEAM
    Other Nominees
    All Dolled Up, thisispopbaby
    The Convent, Jo Stromgren Kompani
    Incarnat, Lia Rodrigues
    Ketzal, Derevo
    Best Design [€500]
    For outstanding lighting, set, sound, costume and/or graphic design and is the only theatre award in Ireland to acknowledge sound and design.
    Winner:
    Score, Au Cul du Loop, Overall design
    Other Nominees:
    Ciotog - How did we get here, Rionach Ni Neill - Lighting Design
    Convent, Jo Stromgren Kompani, Overall design
    The Anima and the Animus, Shakram Dance Company- Sound design Dara O' Breen
    Ketzal, Derevo, Overall design

Bewleys Cafe Theatre Award [€500]
    This new award is presented to the best Irish fringe show under an hour. The prize is the opportunity to remount the show in Bewley's for a two-week run at lunch time in 2008.
    Winner:
    Art of Swimming, Playgroup
    Other Nominees
    Come up and see me: A Peek at Mae West, Ageless Productions
    Waiting for Ikea, Wicked Angels

Fishamble New Writing Award
    Presented to the best play by a new or emerging Irish (or Irish-based) playwright premiered during the Fringe. The prize includes a scholarship place on a playwriting course, dramaturgical support and a €1000 stipend towards the playwright's next play.

Winner:
    Married to the Sea, Shona McCarthy
    Other Nominees:
    All Over Town, Phillip McMahon
    Waiting for IKEA, Georgina McKevitt and Jacinta Sheerin
    Art of Swimming, Lynda Radley
    Ways of Making You Talk, Claudia Shwartz

Best Male Performer - €500
    Winner:
    Bartosz Portzyk, Smycz
    Other Nominees:
    Palle Dryvall, Catastrophe Communication Combinatoria
    Jake Margolin Particularly in the Heartland
    Paul Reid Metamorphosis
    Peter Daly 3 roles in The Rep Experiment
    Panti in All Dolled Up
    Best Female Performer - €500
    Winner:
    Elizabeth King, Particularly in the Heartland
    Other Nominees:
    Kristen Shiel, Particularly in the Heartland
    Gillian McCarthy The Rep Experiment
    Melanie Wilson Simple Girl
    Caoilshionn Dunne Caligula
    Best Lantern Award - €250
    Awarded to Tammy Bradley for 'Bright lights in big city'

Best Spiegeltent Show - €250
    To the best night in the tent, or to the best performer in the tent over the 16 nights. Not including La Clique.
    Winner:
    Camille O'Sullivan, The Cat's Miaow
    Other Nominees:
    Turning Pirate, Pirate Sounds
    Crawdaddy, Marlena Shaw featuring Mad Professor
    Carwdaddy, Seasick Steve and King Creosote

2007 Panel of Judges
    Sarah Pyle - Chairwoman of Judging Panel; Sarah Durcan (Producer, Corn Exchange); Aoife Habenicht (Literary Dept. Of the Abbey); Deborah Dignam (Director Kinsale Arts Week); Deirdre Roycroft (Actress); Eamon Sweeney (Music Journalist); Leon McCarthy (Mercury Boy Inc); Louise Walsh (PR & Marketing Manager, Music Network); Michelle Cahill (Choreographer and Dancer); Orla Dunne (General Manager, TEAM Educational Theatre); Peter Finnegan (Director of Communique International); Sarah Ling (Producer); Scott Burnett (Designer, Angry Associates Design); Sheena McGinley (Editor, entertainment.ie): Wayne Jordan (Director).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Seasick Steve definitely should of won the Spiegeltent Show award. It was one of the best gigs I've been to in a long time. Great venue too, hopefully its on again next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Wannabe Deise

One wonders did the judges see all the shows.

Spirit of the Fringe
    By all accounts I have seen, Heart of Darkness was great. When I saw it in the programme and saw the duration I was put off. A mistake. Gavin Kostick actually learned the entire text and performed it rather than reading it as I would have expected.

I did see Dublin City Counselling and was not impressed.
    I wanted to see Caliper Boy but didn’t. I saw the band playing outside Project one of the evenings and thought they sounded great.
    I didn’t see Simple Girl.

Jayne Snow Award
    I did not go to Rain Party based on word of mouth feedback even though I had planned to.
    I saw none of the other nominated shows but saw the start of DISCO-NNECT outside Project and it looked like good fun.

Best Production
    I am very surpised at this award. I dithered over whether to go to Particularly in the Heartland throughout the festival but the ITM review and word of mouth put me off.

Of the nominees I saw All Dolled Up and The Convent. The Convent was the best show I saw.
    I enjoyed All Dolled Up but would not have considered it for this award.
    I deiberately avoided Incarnat due to the blurb about disturbing etc. I don’t need any further disturbance! Did not see Ketzal but reviews were not glowing.

Best Design
    I do not see how “Ciotog” could have got a nomination here. I did not see The Anima and the Animus, or Ketzal.

Bewleys Cafe Theatre Award
    I saw and enjoyed the Art of Swimming and wouldn’t quibble with this decision.
    I did not see Come up and see me: A Peek at Mae West or Waiting for Ikea.

Fishamble New Writing Award
    A worthy winner (Married to the Sea) in terms of what I saw during the festival. I did not see All Over Town or Waiting for IKEA but heard good things about both. Ways of Making You Talk was good but not as good as critics thought.

Best Male Performer
    Apparently Smycz was fantastic. I didn’t see it.
    Of the nominees I did see Paul Reid who was excellent in Metamorphosis. Panti deserves the nomination also.
    I thought Will O’Connell deserved a nomination for his performance as Caligula.
    I thought Fergal McElherron and Sam Corry were excellent in Mr Kolpert.

Best Female Performer
    I can’t believe Siobhan Donnellan did not win this for Married to the Sea. The fact that she did not even get a nomination is a disgrace in my opinion. I thought Gillian McCarthy and Kathy Rose O’Brien were superb in Mr Kolpert.

My own award winners:
    Spirit of the Fringe: Art Raid
    Jayne Snow Award: Bus Project
    Best Production: The Convent
    Best Design: The Convent
    Bewleys Cafe Theatre Award: the Art of Swimming
    Fishamble New Writing Award: Married to the Sea
    Best Male Performer: Paul Reid for Metamorphosis
    Best Female Performer: Siobhan Donnellan for Married to the Sea

Makey Upey Awards:
    War of the Roses
    Guardian Angels

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

WannabeDeise,
    Thanks for posting the nominations. I can't believe how many of these nominees I didn't see. I thought I'd seen most of the decent shows. It was interesting the vast disparity between Irish Times and ITM reviews.

I agree re. best female actor should have been S.Donellan from married to the sea.

It's a bit odd that the Jayne Snow Award [€1,500] is twice the value of Best Production. I heard that Rain Party was really poor. But maybe it was brave & innovative so it gets the prize ???

Simple Girl was average, and you didn't really miss much.

I'll start another thread now re. Dub Theatre fest.

Advertisement