Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was it just me or was Freshers Week kinda ****?

Options
  • 24-09-2007 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

The brochures promised bouncy castles, bungee races, live music all day, a la spraoi, little boxes of kellogs crunchy nut!I didn't see any of this! Yeah the freshers ball was good fun, but I had to resort to (god help me) attending classes last week!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

hey at least you got tickets to the freshers ball! one of my friends who's goin to trinity somehow managed to get onto the guest list! as far as i can tell us poor unfortunate DIT rathmines crowd were fairly much abandoned generally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

i'm afraid i'm having my official freshers week in trinity, they have way better stuff going on and it makes me feel big taking advantage of trinity's free beer at basically everything policy:rolleyes: plus spirit was always a **** hole

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what campus? i find the majority of the stuff on the southside goes on in aungier street, and the majority of the northside stuff goes on in bolton street.

and of course it's not what they put on it's what you make of it yourself will make it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

freshers' week sucked for many first years. Out of 15 people I know in DIT, nobody said anything positive about it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

make your own banter people - you cant expect fun to be handed to you on a plate!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

Spogpean wrote:
    you cant expect fun to be handed to you on a plate!!

plate fun is the best kind of fun:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

we dont really have a freshers week, its more RAG week where the fun happens... and its good....very good, not til after xmas tho :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Lol, RAG week last yr was nothing special iirc, and most events were canceled due to a incident previous years i was told, iirc it was actually a normal college week with lectures with a few stalls and stuff, not much

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

****ty for me cause I didn't get the ticket early enough:(
    RAG week might hopefully be good this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

yoyo wrote:
    Lol, RAG week last yr was nothing special iirc, and most events were canceled due to a incident previous years i was told, iirc it was actually a normal college week with lectures with a few stalls and stuff, not much

Nick

yeah, rag week last year was fairly uneventful. Hugh McAtamney told us that in the years previous there was lots of boozing and puking etc. goin on in angier st. campus (he described it like a hippy festival) and since then its gotten a lot quieter so he advised us to go to trinitys rag week :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

They had the WORST comedian I have ever witnessed on Aungier Street. He was vulgar, offensive, and pathetic

it was brought on by themselves really, people were told that there was no drinking on the bus (as opposed to the year before) so people just got **** faced before getting on the bus, also since you couldn't drink on the bus people wanted to finish all their bus drink as not to waste it leading to the event only going to 2 places instead of 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

i'm afraid i'm having my official freshers week in trinity, they have way better stuff going on and it makes me feel big taking advantage of trinity's free beer at basically everything policy:rolleyes: plus spirit was always a **** hole

Um... this was the case, but not anymore buddy.

I found DIT's freshers week to be woefully poor compared to old Trinity style freshers weeks, but all the colleges are starting to clamp down on the fun.
    Bring on the political correctness, the anti-binge drinking, the nanny state madness. Good times, bad times, all depends what you put in.

I found most of the fun in DIT is to be had with your classmates, much more so then in the bigger classes in the early days.

But sure, if you're desperate for some fun, believe we're playing the TCD Alternative Freshers Ball on the 17th of Oct, so, at least that'll be fun... I'd organise something similar in DIT if I thought there'd be any interest, but I find the DIT massiv quite hard to motivate, even my own class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Face it. Events like these in DIT are destined to fail miserably. Shag week is the exact same as Rag week with a few free condoms here and there. Rag week is like a slightly more advanced version of Freshers week with some trampolines and guys in teddy bear suits. Freshers week sucks the sweat off a dead man's balls. So you have a crap event which almost the same as a slightly crapper event which is a copy of a shit event.

It just goes back to DIT lacking a decent campus. If we had some sort of venue for this stuff it'd be excellent... the other colleges don't really do any more then we do, infact most of them do less. In Trinity for example, all the good stuff is organised by the societies and clubs, pretty sure such things are nearly non existant in DIT, or at least I've never been aware of anything much.
    We're totally lacking a decent student centre for such non-academic stuff and I think that's the root of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Andrewjdoyle

RIGHT! I won't have it said that Trinity have better events than we do! :o

DITs throwin' a party, and it's gonna be big.

How BIG?

Bigger than the Trinity ball, but you won't have to dress like a ponce
    Bigger than the RAG Trip, but you don't have to get arrested for pi**ing up against a lamp in Naas... or was that just me?
    Bigger than... well, there aren't any other proper student events in Ireland, but if there were, it'd be bigger than those too.

It's in March. It's called the big bash, and it's gonna be really ******* big.

ugh i'll be on work placement, but still will try and go :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

How BIG?

Bigger than the RAG Trip, but you don't have to get arrested for pi**ing up against a lamp in Naas... or was that just me?
    Bigger than... well, there aren't any other proper student events in Ireland, but if there were, it'd be bigger than those too.

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

Can't we just flashmob Trinity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

Binomate wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see it.

You have to be the most cynical depressed person i have ever come across. Your the kind of person who bores everyone to tears and just moans and complans his way through life. You make absolutely no positive contributions to anything on these boards! You wear macari on your shoulder.

I think the SU do a good job in what is a difficult situation with campuses all over the city. Dont listen to miserable people like him.

• Advertisement

How BIG?

I think you'll find this awesome event is happening next Wednesday 17 October in the Village.
    Load of college heads got together, sick of all the "Let's get Aslan to play the Fresher Ball" ****e that goes on, so there's a solid line-up put together for The Alternative Ball.

Codes
    Pete Pamf
    New Amusement
    Grand Pocket Orchestra
    Japanese Toys

and then some quality DJs afterwards.

Just saying... if DITSU put on a better night of music I'll be amazingly surprised (and quite pleased to attend) , too easy to lash the same ol same ol on the stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

strychnine wrote: »
    You have to be the most cynical depressed person i have ever come across. Your the kind of person who bores everyone to tears and just moans and complans his way through life. You make absolutely no positive contributions to anything on these boards! You wear macari on your shoulder.

I think the SU do a good job in what is a difficult situation with campuses all over the city. Dont listen to miserable people like him.

****ing signed

****ing signed

Wuh? This phrase escapes me :confused:

Wuh? This phrase escapes me :confused:

Me too

I think you'll find this awesome event is happening next Wednesday 17 October in the Village.
    Load of college heads got together, sick of all the "Let's get Aslan to play the Fresher Ball" ****e that goes on, so there's a solid line-up put together for The Alternative Ball.

Codes
    Pete Pamf
    New Amusement
    Grand Pocket Orchestra
    Japanese Toys

and then some quality DJs afterwards.

Just saying... if DITSU put on a better night of music I'll be amazingly surprised (and quite pleased to attend) , too easy to lash the same ol same ol on the stage.

Aslan! I think we're the only college in the country who doesn't book them. Same ol same ol? Are you in DIT? There's a different band each week in Break for the Border. Drama Soc's Movie Star Ball rocked. The freshers ball sold out and those who went said it was great, the ceili rocked...

Anyway, what we're talking about here is of a bigger scale than the village - pleasant as it is. 'sure stick around... or better yet, get involved in it. If our events stay as popular as they are, the Big Bash will be of a scale never seen before by DIT students (No, we're not booking the Point again).

I am indeed in DIT.
    What great bands are in Break for The Border every week? Is that a DIT event or has the name just been attached on for some "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" action?
    I'm afraid I missed nearly all the publicity on those events, though the Freshers Ball was the Blizzards was it? Let me guess, the Rag Week gig will be Republic of Loose?

I'm looking forward to this "Big Bash" if it's run correctly, it's about time DIT had a big aul party to rival the rest.

Well, it's the weekend, and I don't have all the details, but I'll post some info on Monday about DIT SU events. Then you can criticise them, we can improve them, more people will come to our events, and we won't have to book the republic of loose for RAG week. How does that sound?

Sounds pretty good alright, now, if only the majority of the student body used boards.ie :p

It's a tough job though, the lack of a centralised campus means it's a pain to get any real buzz going, so if you manage to create some gold you deserve all the credit coming to ya.

The "Fillers" do not a good band make

• Advertisement

The "Fillers" do not a good band make

Judging by the time you posted that, you either didn't go to the gig or did go but left early to rush home to boards.ie to tell us how much you didn't like it. Pretty sad really.

Advertisement