Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Courts??

Options
  • 24-09-2007 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hey all,

I think i asked this q here before but cant find it now, anyway does anybody know of public courts around the south side, does'nt even have to be a court just a backboard and ring close to reg height will do me. I know there ones down on gardiner st. but i just looking for somewhere to go on my own to have a few shots, i think its just to build my confidance again, its been a while since i've played. A google search came up with a boards post from 2005saying there were courts in bushy park, does anybody know if there still there??
    I found a court, well 2 rings in a fas compelx last week so i bought a ball and went up there yest morn and the rings had been pulled off, was so disapointed. Any help will be great, anything will do me for the moment, school yards ect ect.
    Thanks in advance.
    Vinnie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Hey all,

I think i asked this q here before but cant find it now, anyway does anybody know of public courts around the south side, does'nt even have to be a court just a backboard and ring close to reg height will do me. I know there ones down on gardiner st. but i just looking for somewhere to go on my own to have a few shots, i think its just to build my confidance again, its been a while since i've played. A google search came up with a boards post from 2005saying there were courts in bushy park, does anybody know if there still there??
    I found a court, well 2 rings in a fas compelx last week so i bought a ball and went up there yest morn and the rings had been pulled off, was so disapointed. Any help will be great, anything will do me for the moment, school yards ect ect.
    Thanks in advance.
    Vinnie.

Nutgrove has a hoop. Beside the center. Bushy park is gone. Terenure College has a hoop but kinda sucks. Dont know anywhere else on the south side...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

This is why Ireland is so crap at sport, there are no facilities. and the facilities that they do have the majority of them suck. Its a disgrace and an imbarrasment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Liam90 wrote:
    This is why Ireland is so crap at sport, there are no facilities. and the facilities that they do have the majority of them suck. Its a disgrace and an imbarrasment.

Its fairly bad alright.

Went driving around yesterday and found a place near enough to me so im sorted.
    Thanks for the help.
    Vinnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

I have to agree, and this topic brings me back to when I was a young kid desprate to play the sport in any weather condition at any time of yr. I spent my youth (Jordan era) combing the Southside for courts to play.

I went though courts at stillorgan/dundrum/marian college/st Michaels/cloiste enna/nutgrove/marley/alex/gonzaga/mount merrian/rathmines/booterstown to mention a few.

I spent most of the weekends going around on the bike looking for courts, the problem with the majority of the school courts is they are on private grounds and there’s always gonna be sone narky fok with nothing better to do but chase you out of the place! (Be careful if you go into St. Raphaela's those nuns actually call the cops!) Even as a grown adult with kids this has happened to me which is both embarrassing and frustrating.

The “public” community basketball facilities I’ve see looks like something developed for warfare situations, 11 foot baskets with rings/backboards welded in place made of heavy iron, durable perhaps but useless to play on as the rings would bounce a ball across the playground unless it’s a swoosh. There are also floods of kids at these places when the weather is good which can get a bit crowded.

If you get in contact with some of the universities TCD or DIT (UCD tend to be always booked out) perhaps you might be able to rent a half court for an hour for 5-10 quid. I know it’s not ideal but this wasn’t even an option 10 years ago without a group of 10 or special liability insurance etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭63587614

HI Guys. Jess it's good to hear i'm not the only one searching for some game time. Well I jus moved into the Dundrum area and I'm looking to join a game for the winter.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

balrothery swimming pool has courts beside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Vilmis

There is one court in from of the beacon hospital in Sandyford

Advertisement