Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have you imported your car?

Options
  • 24-09-2007 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

Have you imported your car and saved lots of cash?

Highly Recommended, Joe Duffy's new TV show is looking for people that have been cash clever and made huge savings by going the extra mile such as importing a car from the UK. If this is you and you would like to come and tell us about your savings and be in with a chance of winning €2000, please contact us on 01 860 2850 or highly.rec@gmail.com

To get an idea of the show have a look at - http://www.rte.ie/tv/highlyrecommended/

I look forward to hearing from you
    Thanks
    Lucie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Do we have to tell when we actually registered the car after we brought it in :D

Can he not do a show about how VRT is a stealth tax and is against EU law!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sent you an email there Lucie;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Have you found an original way of cutting costs and saving money? Well its time to put your nose for a good deal to the test. Joe Duffy and a team of consumer experts: Ben Dunne, Conor Pope and Barbara McCarthy want to know the story behind these savings. With the help of the studio audience your deal will be scrutinised and challenged but if it stands up throughout the investigations and the panel are convinced it should be Highly Recommended, you will walk away with €2000.

Importing a car from the UK is hardly original, whether or not it saves money.

I imported a car from the uk... saved about 2k

I imported a car from Japan and saved 5k!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Initially when i read the OP's post I thought it was Joy Duffy as in the BMW guy .... I was really confused !!! but when I realised it was the other clown I lost more interest .. but then the visions of another clown telling Joe on TV how he saved a bucket of cash by buying a UK Beemer and not paying the VRT gathered my interest again ... TV is so boring !!

• Advertisement

someone will come on on say "I saved 10k on my bmw... and if there was no VRT I could have saved 30k" then it'll all kick off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

so the show airs, and revenue sees that people are still making savings on importing, so they whack up vrt by another what, 10%? :rolleyes:

btw, I saved €3700 by importing my car from the uk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Except being polite and accepting Irish people, they will end that sentence "but, sure, we all have to pay the VRT, I know that [shrugs shoulders]"... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Highly.Rec

For those of us that know nothing about importing cars, it's a great way of getting the information out there and showing everyone how easy it really is.
    Thanks for posts, anyone interested in getting involved though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

siralfalot wrote:
    so the show airs, and revenue sees that people are still making savings on importing, so they whack up vrt by another what, 10%?

Never a truer word...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

www.importyourcar.net would answer nearly any question you have about importing from the uk to be honest

I would only get too angry on a show like this with people saying "but VRT is the law"

I agree with siralfalot - the revenue will love this, it just gives them an excuse to increase the taxs

Hi All,
    Thanks for your comments. If anyone wants to come into the audience and see if your predictions will come true. Give us a shout on 01 860 2832.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Highly.Rec wrote: »
    Hi,

Have you imported your car and saved lots of cash?

Highly Recommended, Joe Duffy's new TV show is looking for people that have been cash clever and made huge savings by going the extra mile such as importing a car from the UK. If this is you and you would like to come and tell us about your savings and be in with a chance of winning €2000, please contact us on 01 860 2850 or highly.rec@gmail.com

To get an idea of the show have a look at - http://www.rte.ie/tv/highlyrecommended/

I look forward to hearing from you
    Thanks
    Lucie

Ok do you mean importing a New car or a 2ndhand car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I don't know if you will save a huge whack of money importing, the Revenue aren't stupid and they claw most of it back. There isn't an "original or clever" way of avoiding this. If you just want to tell people how to import a car, then fair enough. I've imported cars from Japan and the UK and I'd recommend it, but more because you can get a better spec car or an unusual model than save shedloads on the everyday models you get here anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its importing a 2nd hand car mainly GLuxel. Personally to buy the same spec car would have cost me around 5k more. I could have bought an A4 cheaper but nothing near the spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

There are plenty of drawbacks with importing too. The mention of A4 there reminded me! Nearly all of them are clocked. Also there are more crooked car dealers over there than here with regard to cut & shuts etc. I know people will now start saying that here is worse, but it really isn't. Also you can't save money on every model of car. An RX8 for example is just as cheap here for a 2004 one than one you'd bring in and clear yourself.
    Mainly though you'll save money. The big problem with this program though is it'll mean more people will start doing it, not knowing what they're at, and bring lots of crap cars into the country (clocked, etc) and will drive up the price of VRT on the common cars for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thought we didn't like spam/shills?

Not your ornery onager

Hi
    G Luxel - We've actually got someone that imported a 2nd hand car.

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I believe this aired tonight. Did anyone see it?

• Advertisement

Saw it alright.

A couple of things, a HPI is not £5, it is 19.99, no one seemed to pick this up
    Secondly, he did not do a HPI, he trusted the dealer, looder, you never trust anyone, do the HPI check,
    Thirdly, what the hell was your man on CarsIreland on about, "He will have trouble selling it, people like to buy Irish cars", a daft statement I would think.

He did get a great deal, but the fact that the car already broke down would worry me as he has done no HPI check on the car, it could be ready to blow up. Still he got his 2k

This show is pretty poor :eek: Who didnt see that coming from RTE I suppose.

I thought he did a poor job explaining the process, could've given more info really to the average punter;

One thing that I felt he didnt put across was that it really isnt that much more risky to buy in the UK - one of the hosts; maybe that really condescending woman; said something about having no comeback if you buy from the UK, what happens if it breaks down etc...

Well what happens if you buy from the place down the road and it breaks down several months later; you probably wont have any comeback either unless you explicitly sought a warranty and paid the overhead for it. I dont really see any difference in risk if you're buying privately.

He also didnt put across that with a pop of 50 million, you can pick exactly the car your want, colour, spec, year, mileage... it's practically like buying a car new. Anyway, piss poor show but sure... I got a good laugh from the guy who has trying to get having a cheap divorce highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 choco_77

yop wrote: »
    Saw it alright.

Secondly, he did not do a HPI, he trusted the dealer, looder, you never trust anyone, do the HPI check,
    Thirdly, what the hell was your man on CarsIreland on about, "He will have trouble selling it, people like to buy Irish cars", a daft statement I would think.

He did get a great deal, but the fact that the car already broke down would worry me as he has done no HPI check on the car, it could be ready to blow up. Still he got his 2k

think what he actually said was that "he may have trouble realising his profit when he comes to sell the car". Makes sense to me because all things been equal I think people would prefer to buy an irish car too

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Saw it alright.

I got an RAC check recently, which is the same thing, for £5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I watched the show last night because I knew this was coming up. It was p1ddle poor. Utter Utter Utter smap.

The 3 panelists were shocking bad.

Ben Dunne was only interested in trying to show what a funny chap he is.
    The bird in the middle was only interested in letting the world know that she knows what a hpi check is.
    And the fella at the end went off on an utterly irrelevant tangent about why yer mon had to buy a Saab instead of a bog standard family saloon.

The audience contributions weren't much better. Particularly, as mentioned above, yer man who was on about it being a harder car to sell because it is a uk import.

Mind you, if you thought that was bad, you should have stayed tuned for the second half of it. Yer mon who supposedly done a diy divorce...!!!! He didn't do a diy divorce at all. He paid some company 500 squids to do it for him. FFS. How the hell did he manage to get on the show. There was some bird in the audience who had got one for €17 because she did actually do a diy divorce. Why the hell wasn't she up there instead ?

All in all, the whole progam was an utter sham.

Ah, that makes sense, is the RAC check the same?

What do we pay here for carcheck or what ever its called, I am sure it is not €5!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I would far prefer to buy an Irish car too, especially if it were a recent model.

However I am not foolish enough to turn down a good deal but if importing from the UK I thinik I would want to be saving about 20% !

Out of interest what reasons would you give for buying an Irish car above a UK one?

Personally I think Irish cars are underspeced, over priced and driven on bad roads and in general Irish people do not look after their cars as good as the UK. I cannot think of 1 good reason to buy a car here in Ireland.

Pure curious. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Ah, that makes sense, is the RAC check the same?

What do we pay here for carcheck or what ever its called, I am sure it is not €5!! :)

HPI checks if the car was ever written off or if they car was ever stolen, or key, if there is outstanding HP owed on it. If they get it wrong, they insure u for 10K sterling i believe. Not sure on RAC check or what comeback u have iwth it.

Regarding Irish over UK cars. Well I think the garages are all hypocrits. You just need to go to any major forecourt and in the back youll see a few UK cars they bought themselves in Auction to sell on over here. Profit is a profit to them boys. A car is never really an investment. However if you are lucky and get a good car from UK, with High Spec and comfort, it returns more value for money, than the bog standard boxes we drive over here. In either case,UK or Ireland you can still end up with a banger, and you need to cover urself either way, with valid checks and some common sense. But for myself, I bought a car with 3 years warranty in UK, that was 5 months old and it was like new. When over here for same money, I had the pick of a bog standard box, with 6 months warranty. When one buys a car, I dont think you would look at country of origin. You would look at mileage/service history/ condition/ comfort/ reliablity and value for money. A Huge number of the Garages today, in second hand market are selling UK Cars. They are buying them in auction in UK as the irish customer wants more Comfort and Spec.

• Advertisement

Personally I think Irish cars are underspeced, over priced and driven on bad roads and in general Irish people do not look after their cars as good as the UK. I cannot think of 1 good reason to buy a car here in Ireland.

Quoted for the truth!!

Ok, at the end of the day you get what you pay for; I'm sure you can go over to the UK and buy a poor condition car; but for the same money you spend in Ireland you can get a much higher spec and better cared for car that has been driven its whole life on motorways rather than rattled about on pot-holed bog roads.

I too would be interested to know the reason anyone would by an Irish car over a UK import??? Particularily if you dont have any motor industry contacts and cant get a discount easily... eh Junkyard?

Advertisement