Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a SQL Server Alert Engine

Options
  • 24-09-2007 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Sorry in advance if this is a silly question but I have a
    SQl SERVER 2000 Database here running two processes that I can not find any info on.

SQLAgent - Alert Engine
    SQLAgent - Generic Refresher

I need to Detach and Re-attach the database in order to clear down the Log file its at 66gb :eek:

However I dont know what these processes are and would like to know what these are before performing the detach , my trawling on the web so far has not been kind.

These could be of course processes set up by the initial DBA , but there is nothing referencing them.

Sure even I knew nothing of this Database till Friday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The SQL Server Agent is a monitoring process that basically acts as a management/monitoring server for the database system. You can use it to schedule backups/optimisations, to send alerts to operators if there are any problems and a whole pile of other things.

These two processes would be individual parts of the Agent which would scan/monitor the database to see if any alerts are triggered.

Assuming that there's only one database on the server, just stop the SQL Server Agent service, then do your DB work and switch the agent back on when you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

stopping/starting services is not the way to clear out a log file.

you should read up on SQL server log files and have a look at backing up the log file/truncating.

the log file can save your/company on a production server.

Say you have a backup at 8:00am.
    At 4:00pm the database gets corrupted.
    You now have to restore to the 8:00am looseing a whole days work.

If you have the Log file setup correctly and maybe log shipping set to 5 minues
    then you can take all of the days logs files and appply them to database stopping just before the 4:00pm log file.

That way you have only lost 5 minutes of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

amen wrote:
    stopping/starting services is not the way to clear out a log file.

you should read up on SQL server log files and have a look at backing up the log file/truncating.

the log file can save your/company on a production server.

Say you have a backup at 8:00am.
    At 4:00pm the database gets corrupted.
    You now have to restore to the 8:00am looseing a whole days work.

If you have the Log file setup correctly and maybe log shipping set to 5 minues
    then you can take all of the days logs files and appply them to database stopping just before the 4:00pm log file.

That way you have only lost 5 minutes of work.

Oh I know its essential for that scenario but in this case we have scheduled a Down time during which we will back up the DB , detach - re-attach. Seemed the simplest thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

seamus wrote:
    The SQL Server Agent is a monitoring process that basically acts as a management/monitoring server for the database system. You can use it to schedule backups/optimisations, to send alerts to operators if there are any problems and a whole pile of other things.

These two processes would be individual parts of the Agent which would scan/monitor the database to see if any alerts are triggered.

Assuming that there's only one database on the server, just stop the SQL Server Agent service, then do your DB work and switch the agent back on when you're done.

By the way thanks for this Seamus , you saved me a lot of time here.

Advertisement