Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WIN XP ,Laptop ,choppy sound.

• 24-09-2007 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I have this laptop about two years(siemens m7440g) and in the last month the sound has become choppy and broken ,when listening to music.

I've tried resolving it myself ,but I can't find anything on the net. Most of the issues people have are with skype ,which I don't use.

The sound drivers are the manufactures latest ,as is the sound software.

The only thing I can think of is ,that files have been corrupted by a bad installation and uninstallation. But I don't know what to look for ?

Any help ,would be appreciated ,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Have you updated your codecs recently? if not try here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks hal1 ,I updated them ,but still no joy :(

The best way I can describe the problem is ,every five seconds or so ,the music sounds like it's slowing down and trying to catch up with itself.
    Sounds like a timing error .

Ok ,theres a lot of mentioning of the wireless card in laptops causing sound errors.
    I presumed this was for live streaming causing timing errors.
    But when I overwrit the current wifi drivers with intel ones available at siemens ,the problem seems to have gone.

Has anyone any ideas why ,the wifi card would interfere with sound played from the hard drive?

Anyways fingers crossed ,thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

_Brian_ wrote:
    Ok ,theres a lot of mentioning of the wireless card in laptops causing sound errors.
    I presumed this was for live streaming causing timing errors.
    But when I overwrit the current wifi drivers with intel ones available at siemens ,the problem seems to have gone.

Has anyone any ideas why ,the wifi card would interfere with sound played from the hard drive?

Bizarre. I regularly stream music and video from the net, and I use a laptop as a media center for playing music (mp3s, wmas, iTunes) and have never had a problem with the Wifi being on.

I would be more inclined to look at things such as the media player, codecs and hard-drive (in that order).

Try using other media players, see if the problem persists. See if it is limited to a specific format (e.g. mp3s ok, but wmas not ok). Try ripping a new CD and see if the problem occurs.

Then run some hard drive diagnostics.

I'm after playing a good few songs and they're perfect, so it looks like the wifi driver fixed the problem ,
    I'm using a built in intel prowireless2200BG

• Advertisement

Another cause of this problem can be if Windows knocks the boot hard disk back to PIO mode. The high CPU utilisation results in choppy sound in many cases, as well as poor performance. In this case, uninstalling the primary IDE channel and rebooting should do the trick - it'll reinstall it on the next startup.

Advertisement