Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Conrete Driveway

Options
  • 24-09-2007 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I want to go at my concrete driveway this weekend and the paths around my house as they have darkened over the years and there is also a mildew buildup on the back of the house paths.

I know you can buy all these products like Jeyes Fluid or Path cleaners and some people suggest pressure washers, but I was hoping to use products that are not as toxic as these ones. I also don't fancy standing about for hours with a pressure washer, pouring gallons of water over my drive.

I've heard of something called Oxygen Bleach which is not harmful and works by just adding to warm water, pouring on the concrete, letting it sit for 10 mins and brush it in and then rinse off with a hose.

I imagine its something similar along the lines of that stuff you get for the washing machine (Oxy Action powder), but just in a stronger concentration.

Any ideas where I can get it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The pressure washer route isn't as bad as it seems if you use one of these with it ...

http://www.karchershop.ie/shop/product.asp?numRecordPosition=16&P_ID=272&strPageHistory=&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=119

No splashing, or soaked shoes and trousers, highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Second the Karcher ,great craic aswell:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I've seen one of these in action, but I have a JCB pressure washer...don't know if the accessories from Karcher fit the JCB model

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

But the power washer method is abrasive and that's what you want to avoid I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

10-10-20 wrote:
    But the power washer method is abrasive and that's what you want to avoid I assume?
    Its one of the main reasons alright and it takes a long time

Oxygen Bleach is environmentally friendly and is supposed to be great for getting rid of mould & mildew and can also be used on decking without harming the wood

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭eoinhealy

There are organic products out there if thats what your looking for. Other than that the best thing I find is a product called MossGo, you can get it in your local garden centre. You mix it with water and quickly brush it on the the ground, leave it til the next day and wash it off with a brush.

Other than that, use a power hose, but hold it about a foot or 2 from the ground so it only takes the moss and does not damage the paving.

Hope this is some help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I used the pressure washer myself at the weekend. Is there anything that can be put on the concrete to sela it after cleaning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Get down on your hands and knees and start scrubbing with a wire brush:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Its one of the main reasons alright and it takes a long time
    Hmm, power washers do a good job on concrete though alright. Might take bit of time, but no chemicals and a deffinite result.
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    Oxygen Bleach is environmentally friendly and is supposed to be great for getting rid of mould & mildew and can also be used on decking without harming the wood
    But i deffo wouldn't reccomend using a power washer on wood :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

themole wrote:
    But i deffo wouldn't reccomend using a power washer on wood :D

I used a power hose on my decking and on my garden furmiture and it done a superb job. Gave it a coat of ronseal afterwards too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I used a power hose on my decking and on my garden furmiture and it done a superb job. Gave it a coat of ronseal afterwards too.
    Indeed .. the gadget I linked to above is sold (amongst others) for this very purpose.

Advertisement