Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buxus Ball

Options
  • 24-09-2007 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I am looking for a buxus ball (or similar) to have at entrance to my house. Does anyone know if these are easy to keep, how much maintenance they require? Or can you recomend something else with low maintenance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭eoinhealy

They are quite easy to maintain. Just make sure you give it plenty of water if we get a spell of dry days. They are fairly hardy so can take most weather conditions. But if the spot gets alot of strong wind they can sometimes turn slighty brown as the leaves would be getting burnt.

Another option would be a shaped Photinia (Red Robbin) Has lovely red leaves and is quite hardy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

hotstuff2 wrote:
    I am looking for a buxus ball (or similar) to have at entrance to my house. Does anyone know if these are easy to keep, how much maintenance they require? Or can you recomend something else with low maintenance?

Buxus requires a surprising amount of maintenance, regular pruning to retain shape, after that regular watering and feeding (the latter is very important). Buuxus are not that resilient and suffer wind burn very easily. They are otherwise a hardy enough plant. Most suffer from lack of feeding.

Ligustrum is also an alternative but more as a standard commonly referred to as 'Poor Man's Box'. These days Ligustrum Topiary/Specimens are imported Italian grafted stock, but are quite striking and competitively priced.

Photinia does not like persistent wind, and Standards in containers will suffer wind burn. New growth is red but turning green by end of season. A good hedge but an excellent Standard in a sheltered spot.

Advertisement