Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fish/mine etc etc

Options
  • 24-09-2007 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Im new to WoW ( 3 weeks ) so dont laugh to much :(

But how do you fish ? Im over in lakeshire got me a rod. learnt the fishing thing of some fella, but when i have the fishing rod equipped and try to cast it says 1 of three things.

1. skill to low.
    2. cant cast here
    3. line didnt cast.

What am i doing wrong?

Also, incase i dont want to carry on fishing, how do i unlearn it?

sorry if this seems like a noob question, but i am a noob :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

You can only fish in areas which suit your lvl. Ideally you should take up fishing when you start the game and your level should follow the level of zones you'll be entering.

You don't need to unlearn fishing as its a secondary profession (as is first aid) and doesn't count as one of your two professions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

see thing is i started in goldshire. And i cant fish in any of the lakes there either.

Mining is a main profession and you must learn it from a mining trainer. Same for any other profession. You can have only two main professions. Generally having one profession that's directly useful to you (enchanting/leatherworking/etc) and one that's good for gold is the way to go, or so I find.
    If you're trying to use a skill but "requires x" is in red, red means you don't have a high enough skill yet. So go to lower level areas.

and where do i find these lower areas? coz im pretty sure goldshire is about as low as it gets. But i still cant do anything there. Is there a map or a list ? coz my skill is 1/175 or something like that

Going by the 3rd last chart here
    http://www.capsu.org/wow/zone_base_fishing_skill.html
    You should be able to fish there
    are you sure you're fishing in a fishing spot and not trying at a random place in the lake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Major cities are probably the best place to start as I am pretty sure you can always get a skill-up there. However the rewards are pretty crap.

Failing that, head to the low level areas as already suggested, however you will need a lure in order to get your skill-up to a decent level to actually be able to fish there ;)

Lures are weapon enchanting items that you can buy from most fishing trainers (or at least nearby).

You right click on the lure and then left click on your rod. This temporarily increases your fishing skill by a set amount, allowing you to fish in higher fishing level areas while at a lower skill and still gain a skill point.

If you are leveling fishing I would recommend that you also take up cooking. This will allow you to cook the fish you caught for some buffs or free food.

A good guide on fishing and cooking can be found on the professions forum:
    http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=13121383&pageNo=1&sid=1#5

Other profession guides can be found here:
    http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=13121383&sid=1

Cheers for the replies. I gues fishing spots are the places where you can actually see the fish in groups yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Anti I would suggest you take up skinning and mining for your first character and then level a 2nd one in your spare time to do some trade skills. I have a 62 Pally for cash and I use a 42 priest simply to enchant and tailoring.

You may prefer doing something else but in all fairness spending cash on training up primary trade skills is pretty pointless until you hit 58-70 and enter outland where all the cash is.

What class are you btw?

im a lvl 26 human warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Im a lvl 70 for the past month. But only when i got to 60 is when i started fishing and cooking.

Also im still doing skinning and mining as its such a good money maker.

• Advertisement

i still cant mine either, i have the tool, jus give me crap about low level. oh well, im a dps warrior i have no need for such time wastign antics ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

U need to mine copper at the start and move on from that after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 warriorpoetic

Download and learn to use Cartographer for all of your professions. You won't need to bother looking online to see where to fish and mine because all of the information is already on both your map and minimap. The database is already compiled for you so you don't just have a record of the ore/herbs/fish/treasure etc you've tapped yourself and you can update the database manually from files.wowace.com as you see fit. It trumphs metamap and gatherer.

You'll be making plate armour better than you can wear when you reach level 40 in no time warrior :)

Advertisement